Taking a break?

Options

Replies

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    don't eat maintenance for your current weight, eat maintenance for your desired weight. This is how you'll have to eat eventually (if you don't want to get overweight again), so may as well get used to it now.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    your plan sounds sensible & level headed to me.
    you mentioned "relaxing a bit" (instead of eating everything in sight)
    "easing off on exercising" (instead of stopping all together).

I just want to HUG you for your comment
    "I'LL CONTINUE TO WEIGH DAILY"
    there you go! you're aware of where you stand & your daily choices, what ever they may be. (and not putting your head in the sand)

wish you all the best ! you'll do just fine :):)

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @hamlet1222 eating at goal weight calories for a maintenance break could leave some eating less than what they eat in a deficit.
    100 lb to lose at 1lbs a week to get to 105lbs gives you more calories at that stage than you would get when you reach your goal.

A good approach if you are close to goal, but otherwise it could backfire.

Cheers, h.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I'm really interested if you guys can give information on the benefits of diet breaks and is there a "best" time to take one? Like after 4 months, 6 months, a year? I don't know if there is information out there but I'm really curious on if this is something that I should consider or just keep plowing along.

Why not just try it? Eat at your maintenance level for two weeks but continue to log.

I'm a little obsessive...that's two weeks of not losing weight. I'm willing to do it but only if I think it makes more sense than just continuing what I'm doing.

If you don't feel the need for a break, then there's really no point in taking one. If what you're doing is healthy and working and you feel ok, then a break really isn't necessary.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Anytime I took a break from logging for more than a couple of weeks I either maintained or gained weight.
    I got tired of logging, at times I felt like not logging accurately (actually cheating) so I thought, what's the point?
    I took break between august and November, and viola, I gained back 10 lbs (of the 33 lost). Wasn't a good idea for me.
    Make sure you keep logging at a maintenance level. Don't stop logging lol. Just don't :)

That statement is relative and it doesn’t apply to everybody. Sorry that you gained back some of the weight and I wish you the best getting back to your normal.

I closed my account in 2014 for 6 months. Being in maintenance for almost 4 years, I was tired of logging my food and of being too attached to this website. I didn't log but I kept weighting my food and watching portions, and of course I kept up with my exercise routine. I survived the 2014 holidays plus two adjustments in my thyroid medication while keeping the weight +/- the two lbs that I allow to myself.

There are many people in MFP that do not log anymore in a consistent way and they are doing fine. If people watch what they eat and keep an eye on portions they will do fine too. Exercise will also help to dwarf any unwanted increase of calories consumption.

It seems to me that the people that gain back the weight that they lost are those than didn’t learn much about their “journey” (I don’t like that word much). Binges, lack of control, big portions, eating out too much and too often, and lack of exercise will set people back big time. I think that people love food too much and that clouds their judgment. We need to eat to live, not the other way around. That is my opinion and I understand and respect that not everybody will or has to agree with it.
    OP: This is what I did before deleting my account (not that you want to do that).

1) I printed several nice looking diaries for breakfast, lunch and dinners as a sample of what I should eat to keep within my calories and macros goals.
    2) I printed several of my recipes so I could make them again and stay within my calories
    3) I weighted all my food even if I didn’t log it. Four to five ounces of chicken, fish, meat, etc. and I read and followed the portions sizes in grams written in the packages or cans.
    4) I kept exercising (moderate cardio and strength training plus fitness classes), and that gave me a buffer just in case I had gone over my calories.
    5) I didn’t change my eating habits.

@alizesmom :You can do it too. Good luck.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of this guys! I think I'm not ready to take a break as I don't really feel any psychological fatigue or need (yet). I read stuff saying that taking a diet break would restore leptin and metabolism and blah blah blah and people were saying they took a diet break and lost a bunch of weight as soon as they started dieting again (like more than usual). It sounded like woo but I wanted to explore it just to be sure.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Um. Yes. Diet breaks are suggested. You really shouldn't be in a deficit for that long.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Um. Yes. Diet breaks are suggested. You really shouldn't be in a deficit for that long.

Why? (please read that with the curious tone intended and not the moody attitude that it sounds like :lol: )
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Why? (please read that with the curious tone intended and not the moody attitude that it sounds like :lol: )

lol I got you.

Physically and mentally a break does you wonders if you have a lot to lose and will be taking quite a time to do it. I think someone posted the Lycle McDonald article already. Here is a video by an MFP member that encouraged me to take a diet break.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0jqAXpjCV0

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Sidesteel wrote a blog awhile back about how to decide if you're ready for a diet break: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SideSteel/view/putting-the-diet-break-into-practice-751385
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I ate maintenance for a month (December), it was glorious. I'm slowly getting back into losing now. Fair warning: It's not easy getting back to that deficit. I'm spoiled now :D
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I take "breaks" (Aka eat whatever I want and not log) for holidays, special occasions and the odd day here and there. Keeps me sane and my progress is fine.
  • tara_means_star
    Options

lol I got you.

Physically and mentally a break does you wonders if you have a lot to lose and will be taking quite a time to do it. I think someone posted the Lycle McDonald article already. Here is a video by an MFP member that encouraged me to take a diet break.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0jqAXpjCV0

I saw alot of this information on a website I saw but I know so little about the subject I didn't feel like I could accurately judge whether there was some kind of science behind this or if it was broscience.... is there science for this?
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I do it on special days like holidays and my birthday but, i go right back to it the next day. But, if you are burned out might as well take a break and try your hand at maintenance
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I kept wondering why maintenance calories were so phenomenal. I suppose they would be if you were cutting at 1 to 2+ lbs per week!
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all! I do feel a little burned out and appreciate the support you've provided. Having gone from couch potato to exercise 6 days a week in a year's time has left my brain struggling to catch up. The advice, suggestions and warnings are very welcome.
  • mlclark86
    mlclark86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Long breaks don't work for me because I tend to lose focus and start off on then I am eating too much, exercising too little and then I avoid coming back for too long because I know I have to start again. Instead, every Saturday I weigh in. If I have met or exceeded my weekly loss goal then I don't log for that day and eat basically what I want without getting too out of control. I know this approach isn't for everyone, but for me it makes it easier to skip over some more unhealthy choices if I tell myself that I can have whatever it is on Saturday so long as I meet my goals. In turn I am really motivated to exercise and eat well during the week.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm a healthy weight I've found it a lot harder to keep going. I tend to eat at maintenance 2-3 days a week now because I'm just so tired of it (been at it since february last year). Even after a horrible Christmas binge I still lost a pound this week so I'm trying not to worry about it. That said, I'm also working on upping my strength work outs to compensate.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Absolutely take a maintenance break!
  • jplinis
    jplinis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I take "diet breaks" too. Either eat at maintenance or just eat whatever I want for a week. Usually around holidays or whenever I take a short leave from work.