Bra advice?

Options
Question: I need new work out bras. I need something that will let me move but still support enough that I don't feel like things are going to fall off of me. Suggestions?

Longer question: Not long after the birth of my second baby, I bought bras to work out in. At the time, I was only riding a bike, so there wasn't a lot of movement to contain. Now (about a year later) I'm trying to go to the gym a few times a week, and I noticed that even while just walking laps and doing the elliptical, there was enough movement to start to...not really hurt, but annoy me. I'm not exceptionally gifted in that area or anything, but having birthed and breastfed two babies (still feeding the second, actually) they aren't the perkiest. I was trying on bras today and noticed that anything that was big enough to contain me just did NOT have enough support. I don't want to spend a ton of money right now, since I am doing pretty well losing and I figure I'll be buying new ones soon enough, but I feel like I could use something a little better than what I have now. I wear a 38DD/40D nursing bra, but everything I looked at today was L, XL, etc. Granted, I was just at a department store, but I was thinking about heading to the other side of town to try the sporting goods store. But I thought I'd see if anyone here had some suggestions.

Replies

• barbz25
    barbz25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Victoria secrets has some great sports bra! Plus there really cute. They definitely keep the boobs supported while running.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I second VS, you can buy sports bras for your specific size and multiple desired support levels. Right now at VS they also have a deal where if you buy a sports bra you get a free pair of sports pants. I took advantage and bought a new sports bra and got a great pair of sports tights for about $50 total. I'm also a fan of the Champion line they sell at Target. I feel they gave me a lot of support and they are priced < $20.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have bought some at walmart in the past that were sized like bras. But I LOVE my VS sports bra. I look for the "higher intensity" ones.
  • PhoenyxHellfyre
    PhoenyxHellfyre Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Definitely on the VS bra train. It fully supports, nothing tries to fly away or fall out, and I can wear it under a shirt or by itself. (That is, if I ever get confidence to let my belly flop around. One day.) They're pricey, but you can always find a sale or a coupon to alleviate that cost. Before that, I wore a generic sports bra that I picked up at a sports store that didn't so much support, as it did squish and flatten. If you're worried about spending extra money for a continuous shrinking bra size, the squish *is* an option, albeit not the best. I'm also told that Old Navy has decent stuff for a decent price, but I have no personal experience on that. Keep up the good work! :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Freshpair - bras online, free shipping; Athleta; Moving Comfort; Freya. I buy only underwire bras that open in the back because of the support. They're more expensive, but last and you don't jiggle.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Look on Amazon. I ordered one from there & it's really good.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I always buy a sports bra with an underwire my favorite is from champion, and it is sized like a normal bra. I'm way way too cheap for vs, I was even when I worked there.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Glamourize on amazon. OMG I will never buy another sports bra brand if I don't have to. I'm fairly large on the top half. These babies don't move. PLUS Moveable enough to do yoga. Nice being able to bend over and not get knocked out!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you're soon into a smaller size, see if doubling up helps. I like shopping the clearance racks at sporting goods stores. Nike makes some good high impact bras. Champion has some decent ones too.

The most supportive bra I own (I use for rebounding) is an Enell. Ugly as all get out - but nothing moves.
  • WendelinTheWeird
    WendelinTheWeird Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow, thanks for the suggestions! I never would have thought VS for sports bras. Maybe I'll look at those after I've dropped a bit...I need a goal to work towards (plus I'm a penny pincher). I will definitely check out all the other brands, thank you!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I just wear two bras and get it over with. I wear my regular bra that's a steel super-structure and then a one-size-too-small sports bra over it to really strap them puppies down. Because black eyes aren't a good look on me.
  • jloring90
    jloring90 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    VS for sure! Though on the cheap buy some cotton sports bras. One size to small or multiple same size and double up on them.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    The shock absorber. I have g cups and it keeps them locked down.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the ones from walmart are what i started with and still use on occasion.

i really like my victorias secret and express ones, too.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I got my sports bra w underwire from Walmart. I do alot of cardio and needs support as I am top heavy. Works great and didn't cost an arm and a leg.
  • rlr5072
    rlr5072 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Also love VS for sports bras! My favorite is the Incredible style. You can find them for a discounted price during the semi-annual sale, which should be coming up soon. I never thought I would say a $50 sports bra was worth it, but it seriously is!
  • Lisateach75
    Lisateach75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at Dicks Sporting Goods. They are the ones with the underwire and run about $50 each. They are for high intensity. I have to have a 40DDD so VS is out for me.
  • sissy2012
    sissy2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have two kids two. My normal size is 34DD or 32DDD. I have tried a lot of sport bra last year because I run a lot! VS incredible sport bra is my favorite. But if I run more than 5miles I will wear a cw-x running bra outside of the VS bra. Two bra together will make you feel much better. If I just do weight lift I wear lululemon TaTa, it is comfortable!
  • bmwny1
    bmwny1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Definitely look for high intensity bras with a lot of back support. The ones with spaghetti straps are cute but don't hold anything in place! The ones that work best for me come up high close to my neck in the back. Don't get any from Target. I have tried a few and dont like them.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have the Glamorise bras from Kohls (didn't know they sold them on Amazon) and I do LOVE them. I am a 36D and these bras hold it all in. No movement! They are wonderful!