Any bloating tips?

Options
I drink 6 cups of water a day and 3 cups of herbal tea so by the end of the day I feel like I'm going to explode. I'm 5'4 and 152 pounds. I'm pretty sure the recommended amount is 8 cups and since I drink 9 I don't think I'm drinking too much, so why do I bloat so much? Any tips to tone it down?

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It might not be the water. I drink 100+oz of water a day, I only get bloaty when I eat carb heavy things, and retain more water during my period. Have you examined the kinds of food you eat that might be a pattern before you feel bloated?
  • KJ4health
    KJ4health Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you eating quite a bit of salt? That could cause you to retain fluids
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What about sodium/foods you eat? I agree it might not be from the water. I am super bloaty but it's because I eat tons of salt and super high volume meals. I am literally the queen of bloat.
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Dairy does that to me too...
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    how long has the bloating been going on?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've got this thing going in my head where I don't really believe people who say they're bloated.

I tend to think they are just body-dysmorphic about their belly, and this goes double when they are very thin.

Women's media tends to assume we're all special snowflakes allergic to this, that, and the other "buymycleansedetoxdvddietbook".

Sorry, just confessing my thoughts.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I've got this thing going in my head where I don't really believe people who say they're bloated.

I tend to think they are just body-dysmorphic about their belly, and this goes double when they are very thin.

Women's media tends to assume we're all special snowflakes allergic to this, that, and the other "buymycleansedetoxdvddietbook".

It's true that when losing weight, especially, we sometimes (or often) imagine bloat...but it could be real and there are a number of things that could cause it not even including a sudden food alergy that came out of nowhere (which is unlikely). More info is needed. Could be constipation, could be a health problem that needs a doc's attention, could be excessive use of salt, overeating, etc...

OP we need more info to help.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I mean...I will gain an inch to my waist. My stomach will get big and round. I have lean, and not so lean times of the month. Was it as noticeable when I was fat? No. It is noticeable when I'm lean though. It's not the end of the world.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I have IBS so I can guarantee that in some cases bloating is very real. I can wake up with a flat belly but by the end of the day I look slightly pregnant.

OP, is the bloating new or something you have experienced for a long time? If you recently changed your diet (eating more vegetables for example) you may temporarily deal with more bloating. If it's been going on for a while and is bothersome or accompanies other GI symptoms it might be worth a doctors visit.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Bloating is very noticeable for me when my time of the month is close. Like, pants I wore the day before would not fit the next day.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Bloating is very noticeable for me when my time of the month is close. Like, pants I wore the day before would not fit the next day.

Me too. ...iI look like I'm about to give birth. then after it settles down again :wink:
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Too much Fiber, and probably Carbs.
  • simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It might not be the water. I drink 100+oz of water a day, I only get bloaty when I eat carb heavy things, and retain more water during my period. Have you examined the kinds of food you eat that might be a pattern before you feel bloated?

Same for me. Carbs every time. If I ease up on bread, rice, potatoes, etc., I have no bloating.
  • simonnatyu
    simonnatyu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Same for me. Carbs every time. If I ease up on bread, rice, potatoes, etc., I have no bloating.

I eat rice and a small potato everyday, just because otherwise I don't get enough calories. What kind of things do you substitute for carbs?

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Various foods make us bloated. It's different for everyone. For some it's allergies, for some it's sodium, for some it's gluten, for some it various carbs, for some it's dairy or whey.
  • dkingdom1
    dkingdom1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I admit..... I bloat a lot, even for a belly that's already relatively "big". Usually, my belly tends to bloat the most after a binge or a period of overeating (because high sodium + high carb + too much food). So if you're experiencing it, cut down on those and if you must, accept that your belly will bloat.
  • crodriguez0223
    crodriguez0223 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    simonnatyu wrote: »
    I drink 6 cups of water a day and 3 cups of herbal tea so by the end of the day I feel like I'm going to explode. I'm 5'4 and 152 pounds. I'm pretty sure the recommended amount is 8 cups and since I drink 9 I don't think I'm drinking too much, so why do I bloat so much? Any tips to tone it down?

Add fiber to your diet.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I never noticed bloating when I was heavier, but I do now. And for me it can be from a few different things, period mainly and also eating a large amount of dairy (ice-cream) and usually goes hand in hand with lots of gas and cramping.
    It can be very real and uncomfortable.
    I particularly know it's bloating when that spot right above the pubic bone is rounded and pushing out and is firm; it looks distinctly different to having soft fatty tissue there.
    OP: the best thing to do is try to note when you're getting the bloating to figure what the cause is, the solution will come from that :) good luck!

PS: nothing wrong with being a special snowflake ;)
  • lizkharvey
    lizkharvey Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    gluten makes me bloat. havent been having gluten lately and im still kinda bloated. add some probiotics to your diet daily