Confused...

Options
I started dieting on 10/1/13. Did great until this past weekend at which point I killed my diet (had 3 slices of pizza on Saturday and some broccoli chicken from the local chinese place on Sunday)... As of Saturday I weighed 377lbs(started at 392) but when I get on the scale now I weigh 385. How did I gain 8lbs from two meals?

Replies

• fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sodium
  • bubba4289
    Options
    So you think that it's water weight? So now my body has to use up the excess sodium before I start to lose again?
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Sodium

^^^ That.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Sodium

^^^ That.

This would be my answer as well.

Pick yourself up and get back on track. Slips here and there aren't going to make or break your weight loss work. Keep at it and good luck!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just carry on and it will all work out. 8 lbs is 28,000 calories and I doubt you over ate that much!
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Same stuff happens to me, and it can be scary. The day after a sodium rich meal (which pizza and chinese definitely qualify!!) i have seen my weight jump 3-6 lbs.

Don't worry.. give yourself a couple days. Eat healthy, nutritious, natural foods. Drink lots of water. You'll be fine.
  • stevekoo
    stevekoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Exercise.. get the sweat going. This will take care of the sodium and the water weight
  • bubba4289
    Options
    I reckon I'll just skip getting on the scale for a few days and hope it all works out then. Thanks everyone.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You didn't. Weight fluctuation is normal. Carry on as usual.

And stop weighing so often, it's unnecessary and will drive you batty if you can't handle seeing the fluctuations.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    if 8lbs of fat represents an additional 28,000 calories (and it technically does), then do you think you ate an extra 28,000 calories in those meals. I'm dubious. Hence you didn't gain 8 lbs of fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You can't scientifically gain 8 Lbs of fat in a weekend. The pizza and chinese were high sodium and you're retaining water because of it. Just drink more water to flush and go sweat...give it a few days before you get back on the scale.

You also need to understand that your body is going to naturally fluctuate...you need to wrap your head around that, or maintenance is going to be a real bugger. I'm maintaining and fluctuate between about 180 Lbs - 185 Lbs day to day throughout the week. It's completely normal and sometimes I even go a little higher if I have some beer bloat going on or have had some excess sodium.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    well, its only sodium / water bloat / poop weight... but regardless... you just have to jump back on board... whats your only other option? either you keep truckin and doing work, and lose 50-100 pounds over this next year... or just stop, go back to your old eating habits, and continue to gain, by this time next year, maybe you could gain another 50-100 pounds, right... really only have 2 options...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you didnt mess up at all.
  • MrsMilesy73
    MrsMilesy73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This information is really good for me as a newbie. I also was doing really well, seeing the scales drop, last few days I went over in calories, not drastically but ... :(
    So seeing these responses certainly helps. And I need to stop weighing daily!!!!
  • doodleswithpencils
    doodleswithpencils Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Glad you bumped this, @MrsMilesy73 it helped me too since I'm stalling :) Just a thought about daily weighing though, the folks at Eat, Train, Progress (a group) mention weighing daily and averaging results, I suppose in case the once a week weigh in hits the wrong moment and the numbers seem to have gone pear-shaped (so to speak lol). But only if you can do it without falling apart at the fluctuations, which I do......But anyway, I'm trying it, mainly because I am stalling and I want to see if there are weekly fluctuations that might give me clues.