Need vegetarian dinner ideas for a meeting

babybellyfat
babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
Hi all!! Need your help. I'm having a meeting at my house this tue and I'm making dinner. My friends are not vegetarian or vegan. What can I make?? They are not into beans or tofu. But love sweet potato.. I was thinking some sweet potato poutine with a low fat vegan gravy any tips ore recipes ? Thx

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Is it just a vegetarian meal you're looking for or does it need to have other goals? Eg low calorie etc?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Scroll down to dinners here..lots of ideas ..I quite like the portobello mushroom burgers but you might prefer a casserole you can cook in advance if you're holding a meeting

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/vegetarian-recipes.html
  • mia3boys
    mia3boys Posts: 2 Member
    Hello there, We love veggie chili--just make a recipe sans meat. Or, veggie curry --you can buy curry sauce in the grocery store and add peas, sweet potatoes, and whatever else and it is fab. Or, great veggie enchiladas--some fab recipes on pinterest. All of these are hits with crowds of all ages:)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    We all love this one and I served it at a dinner party/meeting and it was gone! http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/08/african-peanut-stew-vegan/
  • babybellyfat
    Thx guys!! Low fat vegetarian meal!! ;)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Sweet potato and black beans make a great combo. I make 'refried' black beans with sauteed onion, hot peppers, cumin, adobo, some vegetable broth and mash them. Roast your sweet potatoes in the oven for better flavor than the microwave (although I give them a few minutes head start in the micro when pressed for time). Add a dash of salt and chili powder to the cooked, mashed sweet potatoes. You can serve this as a baked casserole with sides of guac, salsa, sour cream, chopped cilantro, shredded cheese and tortillas. Or I've also layered the tortillas like a lasagna. Or individual tacos too. Unbelievably good. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    lentil soup is always popular
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    WWW.ohsheglows.com everything I've made is FANTASTIC. Loved the sweet potato black bean enchiladas. Mmmmm also, low fat vegan recipes at www.happyherbivore.com personal I like the first website best
  • babybellyfat
    Thx so much for they yummy ideas!! How about vegan/ vegetarian rib sauce how do u make that? Or any vegan friendly product to buy?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Felafel with hommus and tabbouleh in pita bread. So tasty!

Are you a vegetarian? If not, why does it have to be a vegetarian meal?
  • sbc1023
    sbc1023 Posts: 7 Member
    Skinnytaste.com has a fantastic black bean and sweet potato chili. Easy to do in advance and can be customized to taste by offering various toppings.
  • LeftyLucy75
    LeftyLucy75 Posts: 13 Member
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    When I have vegetarians over, I often make baked butternut squash. I halve them, scoop out the seeds, score the flesh and brush lightly (!) with oil. Then I stick the halves in the oven while prepping the filling. For that you thinkly slice or finely chop mushrooms, fry in small amount of oil, add a mixture of rice and wild rice, then add water and boil until the rice is cooked. You can easily substitute the rice for Bulgur, Couscous or Quinoa. I season with thyme and chili flakes. Then I stuff the hollow of the squash with the rice-mushroom filling and grate a small amount of high-quality parmesan cheese over it . Serve with a low-fat greek yogurt dip or home-made salsa. Or both.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    I would stick to noral recipies minus the meat- don't go crazy and do "vegan tempeh peanut stir fry with qinoua". Stick to like a basic pasta or veggie burger. Much more likely to appeal to everyone.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    This was a hit at the Christmas party. If you can't add cheese I think you can easily skip it. It's super spicy and I used a three-color quinoa blend (white, black, and red).

http://www.theironyou.com/2013/05/spicy-mexican-quinoa-casserole.html?m=1
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Look into Indian food. Saag Paneer (farm-fresh type cheese in a rich spinach sauce) is my favorite. I have a Masoor Dal (seasoned lentils over rice) recipe that is pretty good.
  • babybellyfat
    thanks everyone!!!