Keeping in shape over 60.

Options
I am finding weight is creeping on slowly, I am not moving like a use to, working in the Early Childhood field one has to move all day to keep up with the little ones. So I am doing something about my little weight problem before it becomes a big weigh problem.

Replies

• trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm approaching 60 and am in the same boat! Hoping that keeping track of calorie intake and exercise will help.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Keeping/staying in shape at 60 and beyond has got to be easier than getting back into shape at the same age ;-). I'm in the latter boat. Getting there.
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I hit 60 I took up Yoga at our gym. It has made a huge difference in my flexibilty, strength and mental outlook on my health. It is harder to lose weight now than 30 years ago, but I feel like I'm in better shape physically and mentally than I was then. I was certainly thinner, but skipped meals, drank too much alcohol, etc. Didn't help that I got hit with thyroid issues, but working through it all. I figure what's the alternative? lol.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Keeping/staying in shape at 60 and beyond has got to be easier than getting back into shape at the same age ;-). I'm in the latter boat. Getting there.

This. ^^ I was pathetic 19 months ago at age 59. Started strength training day 1 and have made amazing progress. My story is in the success forum and is called "18 months and going strong with pics". It's prob a few pages back now.
  • pillydilly
    pillydilly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I am not the only one having a little problem with the 60 mark, lol. I also started Yoga last week and really enjoyed it, it is now on my weekly list. Plus walking each day, and bike riding. Now l must learn to keep my mouth closed when all those yummy goodies are put in front of me lol.
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A new MFP friend turned me on to an app called YOS. Health, fitness, recipes, and beauty tips. They have a Yoga boot camp (videos) going on now. I've only done day 1 and they're up to day 7, so I need to catch up. I usually attend two classes a week, but I'd like to incorporate Yoga into every day.
  • RobinFile
    RobinFile Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am approaching 60 as well. All my life I've been pretty active until about 4 yrs ago I got a new job and now I sit 8 to 12 hours a day 5 days a week and I have gained lots of weight..I like strength training, yoga, especially restorative yoga! ( but in my area they seem to all be closing down!?) and I am learning to like walking and running again( but today its 30 degrees this morning! too cold for me just yet..lol It would be great to be a part of a group in my age group to encourage and share experiences and victories with.
  • royboy969
    royboy969 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I started my journey in my 60's by entering an Urban Adventure. During the Spring thru Fall I try to walk 3-5 miles or ride 12-20 miles everyday. I was given the advice of setting a minimum goal the I knew if everything was going wrong I could still meet. For me it was a simple walk route which equaled 2 miles. I always found myself going a little more. Now if I could get someone to motivate me about going to the club I would appreciate it.. Please feel free to add me to your friends list here or even FB.
  • pillydilly
    pillydilly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It has been very hot here today. [ Queensland Australia ] I was up early this morning for my walk. Thank you MyBoyG I will follow up on the app YOS, it would be nice to do yoga very day, I find it very relaxing.