What I wish I knew when I was just starting out

Options

Replies

• allunits
    allunits Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    These are all wonderful. Thanks for clarifying CICO!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Take care of yourself. And do what works for you. As long as it's safe.
  • Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a little more than halfway to my goal weight now. When I was a third of the way to my goal I wrote the post in the link below, which is what continues to work for me. Best of luck with your goals in 2016!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10280116/trust-in-the-process-the-results-will-follow
  • agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Runagain_4 wrote: »
    I'm a little more than halfway to my goal weight now. When I was a third of the way to my goal I wrote the post in the link below, which is what continues to work for me. Best of luck with your goals in 2016!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10280116/trust-in-the-process-the-results-will-follow

Wow! Great post and great tips!!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Squats and oats
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    "Diet" is not a dirty word. Someday this will be second nature ... just "the way that I eat." That's already started to happen. But at the start, there's really no difference between making small changes to your eating habits and what we used to call "going on a diet". It's OK that it doesn't feel like a "lifestyle change" from day one. If healthy habits came naturally to you, you would not be overweight. If it helps you to feel like its a "diet" to get started, then go ahead. Don't let anyone edit or censor you - just know that you'll never go back to the way you used to eat. I'm guessing that's OK or you would not be here!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I started out believing the calories burned read out on gym equipment and calorie charts. Then I got my first heart rate monitor!! Now I get much more realistic feedback on whatever I do.
  • allunits
    allunits Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the winter gain. I've been there many times. Here's to getting the weight off quickly and continuing your work. Soon this will be just a small blip in your story!
    MerinneW wrote: »
    I guess I always knew, but I wish I had actually taken it in - this is for life. You will never eat 'normally' (or what was 'normal' to your overweight self) again - or if you do, well guess what, you'll soon be overweight again! Weight loss is like a card palace - takes a fraction of the time it took to build to knock it down again. So frankly, if you don't think you can live like this (whatever your programme is) long-term without being miserable, either find another path, or get used to being big and learn to love yourself that way.

I just killed off about two years' worth of denial in two months of eating pretty much whatever I wanted - all the compliments I received on my weight loss went to my head, I stopped weighing myself, stopped monitoring my intake and abiding by the rules of my chosen programme, had an indulgent Christmas period and bingo - I'm back practically where I was when I started. Time to start rolling that rock back up the hill again...

So don't 'diet'. Change your lifestyle. For good. Yo-yo effect is a b***h.

By the way, from personal experience, low carb diet is actually very effective for weight loss, simply because it is so much harder to eat the same amount of calories from protein-rich foods as you can from carbs. The difficulty is keeping it up for life, especially if like me you love bread and pasta. Low carb and CICO are not actually antithetical, and people who promote low carb diets are not necessarily barking. It's about what works for you. Something else I wish I'd known before I started is that while MFP is a really useful aid to changing how you live and eat, especially the motivational success stories, there are a lot of people on here who are certain that they have found The One True Way and are more than happy to slag off anyone who disagrees/has a different way (see posts above). Ignore the negativity, explore the options with an open mind, and if you find one that makes you happier and healthier, then go with it.

• srujana_kanneganti
    srujana_kanneganti Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein.
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    This is a great post and perfect for reinforcing what I already know, but need to keep reminding myself.
  • keana55
    keana55 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My Fitness Pal really works--believe in it, weigh your food
    Follow the plan CI<CO
    Set a reasonable weekly weight loss (I finally settled on 1 lb per week)
    Keep within the macros
    If you fail on one day or one week or a month, don't beat yourself up--pick yourself up and GET right back on the plan
    Whatever your situation, don't let anyone tell you you can't do this or it is not worth it (family, friends, doctors)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!