Best exercise for weight loss

Options
cxeex
cxeex Posts: 121 Member
I do a lot of walking, swimming and kettlercise. What exercise is best for weight loss?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is necessary not exercise
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Lot of great health related reasons to exercise. Weight lose isn't one of them. [ducks and covers]

Hear me out. One Big Mac is like 550 calories. You have to walk about an hour to burn that.

The key to weight lose is to control what you eat. Choose healthy foods and healthy portions. (Portion control is my biggest challenge.)

Example: A classic grilled chicken sandwich is closer to 350 cals. You just save yourself 30 minutes on the treadmill just by making a healthier food choice.

Use exercise as the cherry on top of your weight lose program, not the main course.
  • adepetite45
    adepetite45 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fantastic explanation
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    So...based on the reality that it is a calorie deficit that helps weight loss, any exercise that causes you to burn calories (and increase your deficit) is good for weight loss. So many more benefits too!
  • lauraloo66
    lauraloo66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the one you do consistently. Keep doing what you're doing!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »

Use exercise as the cherry on top of your weight lose program, not the main course.

I like that!

• d_thomas02
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    So...based on the reality that it is a calorie deficit that helps weight loss, any exercise that causes you to burn calories (and increase your deficit) is good for weight loss. So many more benefits too!

Basically, yes.

But, without controlled eating, exercise alone will not help with weight lose.
  • VASMA63
    VASMA63 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Pushing away from the table...trumps ANY exercise you do. It's a little joke, but 100% accurate.
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't think we should oust exercise guys, its very important to your health and well being. The science is absolutely correct, calorie deficit = weight loss, but everybody needs to take part in some type of exercise a few times a week for their health.

To the OP, anything that is strenuous, what really gets your heart pumping is what will burn the most pretty much. Stationary bike, elliptical, rowing machine, etc. Running is a really good type of cardio and calorie burner. Try some stuff out and see which works best for you. :)
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    The best one is the one that you look forward to the most and keeps you moving! If you're going to exercise long term then it needs to be something you are passionate about.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    myssjaxson wrote: »
    I don't think we should oust exercise guys, its very important to your health and well being. The science is absolutely correct, calorie deficit = weight loss, but everybody needs to take part in some type of exercise a few times a week for their health.

I'm not arguing against exercise for health and well being. I absolutely agree with you there. My point is that exercise should not be the foundation cornerstone of a weight lose program.

Controlled eating is the cornerstone for weight lose. Exercise is simply an important building block to overall health. (I should say 'an active lifestyle' rather than 'exercise'.)
  • cxeex
    cxeex Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I enjoy swimming. Also doing the 30 day shred dvd which wipes me out! Lol
  • Mom2JonandAlex
    Mom2JonandAlex Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of anything Zumba, and there are a bazillion workouts you can find on YouTube by different people or groups. I can't stand the thought of going to a gym and walking on a treadmill, or stair climber, etc..but Zumba is actually FUN! I look forward to working out! The best part is...I get a great workout, my HR gets pumping and I'm seeing REAL changes. My whole body has changed. I've lost nearly 60lbs in about 10 months doing mainly Zumba. I created some playlists on YouTube using Live.Love.Party.tv, ReFitRev, etc and get down with my bad self! It not only has helped me shed the weight but it has given me more confidence and I'm so much more comfortable in my own skin! We had a Christmas party at work this year and I was actually up dancing...I used to never dance because I was always so self conscious! But you can't help but wiggle with the rhythm :smiley:
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There's a poster in my gym that only 30% of weightloss/healthy lifestyle is attributed to the gym 70% is all about what you eat/nutrition.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Best one is one that you love so you won't quit- and I agree with posts above- only a deficit is necessary, which exercise does help with that for sure, but you can't exercise off too high of a caloric intake (unless you are working out hard for 2-3 hours a day like a highly trained athlete, which most people are not). Sometimes the only thing motivating me to stop at the gym is because it will give me a few more calories to play with before the end of the day.

Someone above posted that walking 30 minutes will burn off, for example, a grilled chicken sandwich. I would like to add that it totally depends on how much you weigh. It's a bit annoying, but the less you weigh the fewer calories you will burn with the same amount of exercise. Just like a big SUV takes a lot of gas and a little VW bug takes a little bit- which is why people need to amp up their exercise as they get close to their goal in order to burn more calories and get the same benefit. I am now trying to do just that.