Suggestions....

Options
So I need some advise... Tonight will be my first night going to a gym. My exercise for the past month has been walking( around 25 mins a night) 30 shred w/ Jillian, and lately I've been taking 5 flight of steps at work. What would everyone suggest I start with at the gym. BTW..this is my first time ever going...LOL

Thanks!!
Jessica

Replies

• mommyJto3
    mommyJto3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    truthfully i would take a class! if your gym posts the schedule online i would see what class might interest you. One thing i missed about the gym was the classes. I did everything from Spinning, to Yoga, to Body Pump, to Body Step!

if they dont have classes i suggest trying the stair climber for 10-20 minutes, and then the elliptical for 20-30 minutes.
  • Kimcam07
    Kimcam07 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Jessica,
    I suggest you try a little bit of everything so that you can familiarize yourself with the different cardio machines and weights. If you want a specific machine to start out with I would try the elliptical. That has been my staple machine for years. Good luck!!!!!
  • Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Try everything -- but whatever you decide to stick with, make sure you enjoy it. There's nothing worse than exercise being a chore. You should have fun with it :smile:
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    ask for an orrientation to be shown how to properly use the equipment. Good Luck!
  • shannon3
    shannon3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ask for an orrientation to be shown how to properly use the equipment. Good Luck!

I agree! If you are paying for a gym membership, you deserve to know how to work each machine and what IT can do for you! My favorite machine at the gym is the elliptical; also the weight machines are very helpful as well. It is important to try different machines to learn what you like! Have fun :)
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Going into a gym for the first time can be a little overwhelming. What I would recommend is that pay for a personal trainer for one time, it is less expensive. Just tell the trainer that you are looking for a gym routine and they can assist you. A great combo workout is to do cardio for a 10 minute warm-up; walking 2-3 mph on treadmill or the elipitcal trainer. Then do weights for about 30-60 minutes. Then go back to cardio for 20+ minutes. It is a great combo and great calorie/fat burn by doing this combo.
  • mardavlais
    mardavlais Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is GREAT!! Good for you! My personal favorites are the treadmill, Bowflex treadclimber and the spinning bike. I have used the elliptical, and I like it, too. I totally agree with one of the previous posts advising you try a variety of machines. You never know - there might be something else out there that you fall in love with. Our gym had special trainer packages for new members... so I took advantage of that too. omg, what a GREAT idea that was. She is showing me all kinds of exercises that target my problem areas... and she pushes me to do more than I think I can. It's wonderful. I have gotten so much stronger. :) Good luck to you!!
  • jessical30
    jessical30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! I'm very excited!! Hopefully I dont do anything stupid LOL
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options

This is definitely a good idea.

You may feel embarassed or in the spotlight but I would recommend taking some time to walk around and just look at the machines. Most of them have stuff written on them telling people how to properly use them. It is much better to take the time and learn to do things correctly the first time than to do them wrong because you aren't quite sure how to do them and are afraid to learn/ask. Ask questions. You aren't the first new person to go into a gym and a lot of times that's why the employees are there.

Most of all, have a good time! Going to the gym can be a very fun experience. Make the most of it!
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I reccomend going to Curves for women. In about 8 months I lost 70 pounds going 5 days a week. It became an obsession because of how good it made me feel! Completely structured as they instruct you on how to do everything.

(unfortunately I can't afford to go anymore... )

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lcreighton8
    lcreighton8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How did it go? I havenmt been to the gym in over a week. You need to come to zumba with me one monday or saturday.