How do you make yourself STOP eating?

Options
I have a problem with eating - if the food is on my plate, I will eat all of it. No matter how full I am.

Lately, I've been trying to put a lot less on my plate and remind myself that I can go back for seconds if I'm still hungry, but it's difficult... Does anyone else have the same problem?

Replies

• Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I found that eating slowly helps. It took a while to train myself, but I start feeling full about 1/2 way through the meal. Even with smaller portions on the plate.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I try to take a drink of water between every 1-2 bites of food. It kinda forces you to slow down. I have a problem with inhaling my food lol.

Also, I found that when I start to feel full if you take some of your drink and pour it on your food you won't want to eat it! Its pretty wasteful but it stops me from continuing to eat when I'm full.
  • nomsquared
    nomsquared Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also get wildly selfish about food. I'm actually a pretty generous person with everything and anything else, but when it comes to food, people better back off!

Again, something I've been trying to fix...

I think it has its roots from when I was growing up in a under-the-poverty line family? Not sure
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my food when I'm plating it.... so, I know that I can eat every morsel on my plate; no more, no less!
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    try getting less and ending with a glass of water its takes 20minutes to register ure full or just have large portions of healthier stuff fill with salads etc
  • jackiemomx2
    jackiemomx2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started using smaller plates. I thought it sounded silly, but it's helped me.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    My wife and I grocery shop just for the upcoming week, so we plan all of our meals a full week in advance (breakfast, lunch dinner and snacks) some things may change a little throughout the week, but it mostly stays the same. So for each meal the only thing that goes in my mouth is the amount that I planned for, no more, no less. I know this is a pretty rigid approach and not for everyone, but if you at least plan your entire day ahead of time to meet your calorie goals, you will be less likely to overeat.
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my food when I'm plating it.... so, I know that I can eat every morsel on my plate; no more, no less!

Agree
  • rhawkins26
    rhawkins26 Posts: 22
    Options
    I found Geneen Roth's book "Women, Food and God" really helpful in helping me look at food in a different way. It's the best thing I've read on the subject and completely altered how I look at the food I'm eating.
  • liberty741
    liberty741 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hahaha when you find out the answer to this question, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! :-)
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    Studies have shown that people feel more content and more full simply by using smaller plates. Also, it does take a little while for your body to recognize that it is full. Talk during meals, drink water, smell each bite. Everything you eat should be examined---looked at, smelled of, sometimes felt between your fingers and finally tasted of. All little tricks to connect you to what you are eating more and help you feel more satisfied more quickly.
  • k9fan4life
    k9fan4life Posts: 19
    Options
    All posts thus far are correct. You need to put less on your plate, and eat slower, chew your food more. I know it sounds remedial, but it's true. Drinking water in between also helps. Weighing all your food is more for when you are ultra-serious. Pretty sure that's not the norm. But whatever helps.
  • Wordrioter
    Wordrioter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A simple but effective tool is to use a smaller plate whenever possible. It looks likes you have more food than you actually do, so if you eat it all, not as much harm done. Measuring of course helps as you put your food on the plate. When you eat out, and you know what is on the plate is more than you should eat, ask for a take home box immediately before you take a bite. Put the excess food in the box, and put it out of your sight. Take it home for lunch tomorrow.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

Agree

This at home, otherwise I try to keep a good handle on portion sizes at restaurants by checking their nutrition info if available or eating half the meal and taking the other half home (this is admittedly harder).
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You have to take into consideration the emotional aspect of why you can't stop eating. It's like why a smoker smokes.... it's pacifying to put things into our mouths. For many of us, it may be connected to not getting the nurturing we needed as children. Food was always there... even if our loved ones were not.
    I feel that anxiety rising in me when I finish my plate and want more, especially when I'm calorie restricting. I tell myself that it's ok, I can deal with it. That the reward of better health is worth it. That it is actually good to allow myself to feel a little half full. It doesn't work every time, but that's what I try to do.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It takes your body 20 minutes to realize it's full. Eat slower and if you finish your plate before you feel satisfied, just wait. Make yourself wait that extra 20 minutes and the feeling will kick in.

The smaller plates idea is also fantastic, it makes you think you have more!

I control my portions by measuring everything out and logging food into MFP before I eat it so I can see the true effects of it. If the numbers allow me to have more, I'll consider it. Otherwise, no.
  • tammylfinch
    Options
    What Jackiemomx2 said is correct
    I use smaller bowls and plates and it looks like I have more food.
    Also, get your plate of food then that's it and keep busy after you eat. Take a walk or play with the kids or dogs. It helps me keep my mind off leftovers. :)
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    My wife and I grocery shop just for the upcoming week, so we plan all of our meals a full week in advance (breakfast, lunch dinner and snacks) some things may change a little throughout the week, but it mostly stays the same. So for each meal the only thing that goes in my mouth is the amount that I planned for, no more, no less. I know this is a pretty rigid approach and not for everyone, but if you at least plan your entire day ahead of time to meet your calorie goals, you will be less likely to overeat.

A little OCD there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I wish I was that well disciplined,,,,,, I do good to plan the day. :smile:
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with eating - if the food is on my plate, I will eat all of it. No matter how full I am.

Lately, I've been trying to put a lot less on my plate and remind myself that I can go back for seconds if I'm still hungry, but it's difficult... Does anyone else have the same problem?

It sounds weird but psychological studies find that blue plates decrease appetite try buying smaller sized blue plates (plastic of course don't invest unless it works). I have not tried it but it was one of the more interesting stats I learned while getting my Masters
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I think it takes me more than 20 minutes to start feeling full.