Fitbit Charge+HR

Options
I am seriously considering buying one of these next week. My first question is for those who use it how accurate do you find it to be?

Second question is does it show you calories burned based on your average HR during active time? Do you have to figure the calories burned on your own?

Replies

• blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    I've had mine for about 3 weeks now (not long I know) but it seems to be fairly accurate based on the weight I've lost thus far.

If you link it up to mfp, it will keep track of your HR and calories burned throughout the day, and also when exercising. I always turn mine on to "exercise mode" when exercising, only cause it's just easier..and it shows everything...HR, time, total calories burned.

I have mfp set to sedentary, so that way fitbit gives me extra calories throughout the day if I'm more active than it predicted.
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've had one for 4 days now and I love it. I don't switch it to exercise mode I haven't figured that out yet. I just wear it. It knows when I've been for an actual walk and logs it as active minutes rather than just random steps around the house. It automatically calculates calories burned but I've heard it over estimates so I'm disconnecting mine from MFP and just going to use the Fitbit as a separate app. It's really motivating me to get up and move which is brilliant. Thoroughly recommend it!
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Oh and it tells me how many calories I've burned during a walk but also how many calories in total I've burned during the day. I think it uses heart rate and your weight and height to calculate it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have had mine since July and found it to be very accurate (in that I eat the calories it tells me I'm burning and I lose/maintain weight as expected). When I work out, I press the button to engage "exercise mode" and at the end of the workout I can see how many calories it thinks I burned during that time. I can also see the number of calories it thinks I have burned in a day. You don't have to figure anything out on your own. You can review workouts and total calories burned in a day for previous days either on the app or on the website.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just let it automatically pick up exercise unless I want to see the mileage/route/pace on my walks (phone app for that). From what I understand from reading the forums, it calculates your calorie burn through steps for everyday type stuff. It uses HR for exercise and knows when to switch by using METs/sustained increase in steps or HR. Or something like that. It's been really good at picking up my start and stop times and type of activity with the automatic tracking.

As for calorie burns, at first it seemed enormously high, but I've been losing pretty rapidly since I bought it, so I am starting to trust it more and am more willing to use the calories it gives me when I feel like I need them.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    My BF has one and its numbers align fairly well with the standard TDEE math that you can do with any online calculator. He doesn't exercise that often but when he does the calorie burn also seems very similar to other online calculators.