My first half Marathon!

Options
Jamiebee24
Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
Last year, after starting my weight loss journey, I began to run a lot more. When I first started, it was HARD, and I didn't enjoy it at all. The more I did it, I began to love it. I entered in my first official 5k race last year, and by the end of the year had cut off 10 minutes off my first time! Having some awesome friends who have run marathons I was inspired to try one myself...and for sure motivated after watching the Biggest Loser participants complete a FULL marathon! So, for 2011 my "goal" was to run a half and a full marathon! In April I signed up for my first half marathon, which was on June 5th. I trained for it, some days were way harder than others, and I began asking myself, why did I think this was a good idea? But I did push through, and am so happy that I did! As race day approached, I had so many mixed emotions...I was ready to go, or so I thought. Wished I could just fast forward to the finish line quite a few times!! I was scared I'd forget how to run too!! Now that its over with, I am so happy that I did it, and can not wait for my next one. 13.1 miles now seems like nothing---but now, the thought of 26.2 is VERY intimidating! I know I will try it someday though!!

My official results for the half were:
Official Time: 2:11:34
Overall place:5765 out of 17152
Division place: 744 out of 2596
Gender place: 2894 out of 11538

Here are some tips that helped me make race day as smooth as possible:
The week before the race I practiced running in my "race day" outfit..
The night before I had everything out ready for me to go.
I bought a pair of cheap sunglasses so if they got annoying while I was running I could just throw them out along the course...they didn't get annoying though! :smile:
I used energy gels---tried chocolate for the first time race day. DISGUSTING!! But, raspberry and vanilla were good! :laugh:

I WISH I had brought a pair of flip flops for after the race....that is the number one item that I will be packing next one!! :happy:

I'm SO excited for my next one---and to IMPROVE! :happy:

Replies

• tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous. That is one of my goals in life is to do a half marathon and then eventually a full. Congrats!!! You're doing awesome!
  • atashap
    atashap Posts: 85
    Options
    Im so glad you posted this I am registered for my first half marathon in September and I am soooo excited cant wait. I have never been a runner but I am training to be. Thanks for the advice and congrats to you.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    You kick butt Jamie!. What a great time!
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You're time is awesome!!! Thanks for posting your tips. I'll be bringing my flipflops to my half in October:tongue: Did your legs feel really fatigued towards the end or did you preparation keep you from getting jelly legs?

Congrats Jamie, You totally rocked it!!!

:heart:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Have you picked your next half yet?

I think people rush into marathon training too fast. Run a few more halfs and you'll know when you are ready to train for a marathon. I guess it all depends on whether you are looking to "check the box" or have a long running career.
  • danianya
    danianya Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon (hinckley) in May a week before turning thirty. Two years ago i was on a pack and a half of cigarettes a day and when i quit my weight crept on. Since finding running not only have i lost the weight i've fallen in love with the exercise. Its impossible to worry and run at the same time. I did my half in 2.11 and for my next in october i would like to be sub 2. The thing that i found most is how runners no matter what level all have a real kinship with each other.
    Congrats on your success and for the next x
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    good for u and good luck, u can do it 4 sure.x
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Congratulations... this is a goal of mine too, but I am working at a 10K first ;)

Glad to hear it went so well for you!!
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    *** Duplicate post - sorry ****
  • gcumpson
    gcumpson Posts: 39
    Options
    I am a vibram five runner (basically a barefoot runner) flip flops are a must lol all those wanting to start running its putting one foot in front of the other thats all running is. My profile pic is usally the group I run with we are all shapes and sizes sexes and speeds. Runners are great supporters they usally don't care how fast you are or how far you can go they just want to be out running. This site does for weight loss what the group I run with does for my running. My first half was through a beautiful Provincial Park in Picton. 2:28 for my first pb ill take it. I will do better

Congrats on your time and best of luck on your future runs!
    Gen
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You beat me by 4 minutes! Congrats on your race. It was a fun one, wasn't it?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Wow! What an awesome time for your first half! I did way horrible my first one! Woo hoo! I ran the half as well. I feel ashamed to say my time compared to your time for your first half!

keep up the good work!
  • Crystal82186
    Crystal82186 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I think that you are a true inspiration! I'm currently training for my first half for August 14th. I'm so excited but nervous. I'm grateful for your tips, I believe that I will be using them! Good luck in your training for a marathon. One day I will be doing one too. :smile:
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I have in my past done a full and several half's. I just finished one this past Sunday. Sandas are a MUST after the race!!!! Lol.
    Funny you talk about the gels because I tried Powerbar Green Apple! OMG!!! GROSS!! But this brand for me gave me a bigger boost than GU.
    Your time, I'm definitley jealous of. I'm not a fast runner at all and I would love to finish a half in 2:30 hours. I will one day. I'm doing the Womens' Nike Half in San Fran this coming October. Can't wait for that Tiffany Necklace!!!!!
    Oh and the one thing you didn't mention, which I will for you is, the falling off of nails. Unfortunately it happens to the best of us! HA!!! Way to finish your first with a BANG!!!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    That is so inspiring, Im training for a 10k in September!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! My first half was amazingly fun, and so rewarding! It's the start of an addiction, just you watch. :-)
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! I hope to do my first half this year as well...you're an inspiration :)
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    good job! I will be doing my first half in October...I don't plan on running it all though! My initial goal was to complete it walking and be done in 3 hrs 15 min, but now I want to walk/jog and get it done in less than 3 hrs. Your tips are very helpful...I wouldn't have thought to bring flip flops! I will though!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first half - and what a great time! You'll know when you are ready to tackle the full. It took me completing 4 halfs before I felt ready. I finished the Vegas half and realized I had more miles left in me. Before that race I always felt like I couldn't possibly go further than a half.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!