Lifting shoes!

Options
It recently came to my attention that they exist! I've read a tiny bit about them and intend to find out more if I ever consider buying a pair, but in the meantime I'd love to hear from anyone who's had experience with them. How'd they work for you?

Replies

• BigSpoonSA
    BigSpoonSA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been using Chuck Taylors for lifting for years and its been pretty great. Anything with a flat sole (no running or cross trainers) will work. Weight lifting shoes can be pretty pricey (I've heard $100) but may hold up better than Chucks.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I got some (inov-8 Fastlift), but every time I wear them to squat, my toes cramp. It never happens in any other shoe and it was cutting my workouts short. I went back to my chucks. I don't compete, don't plan to, so I'm okay with having them sit in my closet. The chucks I wear are 3 years old and in great shape, but I only wear them to lift in.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Chucks (or Purcells) as well. Just can't justify lifting shoes since I have over 20 pair of chucks/purcells. Once they aren't good enough for wearing out, they go to the "lift" pile.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    chucks, unless i'm on the bench and need leg drive and then i wear running shoes with gripping tread.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    New Balance Minimus trail running shoes work well.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I know Planet Fitness doesn't approve but I like my hikers. I wear some Keens in my basement man-cave gym.
  • Alyexxa
    Alyexxa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find Under Armor to make pretty great shoes!
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I use my basketball shoes. They're flat with nice grip.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    The best I've found is to grab a cheap pair of swim shoes / water shoes for like $15, and pull out the insole. You are essentially barefoot save that thin layer of hard rubber for traction. Plus, you just chuck them in the washer once a week and they're like new again.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I adore my shoes (reebok lifters 2.0). They were going to be a reward for fully fixing my squat. But then I injured myself the week after I regained the top end of my squat. As part of the rehab, we uncovered an underlying muscle imbalance that I've spent the last 5 months correcting. So I moved getting them as a reward for finishing my rehab and moving properly for the first time in decades.

Now, I adore them for bench. Squats are honestly kinda meh, but that's more the percentages my coach is keeping me at then how I feel about squatting in them.

Oly partials are also awesome in them. But deads are always in converse.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It recently came to my attention that they exist! I've read a tiny bit about them and intend to find out more if I ever consider buying a pair, but in the meantime I'd love to hear from anyone who's had experience with them. How'd they work for you?

I'm guessing that you are referring to dedicated lifting shoes like Nike Romaleos or Pendlay Do-Wins, etc., and not Chuck Taylors or basketball shoes. Correct?

I own a pair of Do-Wins and my husband lifts in Romaleos for squats, OHP, and Oly lifts. I also have a pair of Chuck-type Tevas and a pair of Innov-8 235s that I wear for dead lifts and bench press (I also use the 235s for CrossFit). I have found the lifting shoes to make a big difference for stability, which allows me to lift more weight, as I'm not also losing any energy into the cushioning of my shoes. Also, another big advantage to these shoes is to help get into deeper squats because of the slight lift in the heel, especially for those who might have some flexibility issues in the hips.

I didn't buy any until I knew that I was serious about lifting, but they are definitely a worthy investment if you are sure that lifting isn't going to be a passing interest.
  • kdogni
    kdogni Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've got a pair of reebok lifters and would recommend them. Definitely help with squats, cleans and all that good stuff!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I use Reebok Crossfit Lite TRs to deadlift and Adipowers to squat.

I don't find the Adidas Powerlift 2.0s to be any less performance than the more expensive wedged shoes either.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Lifters are very nice for squatting and oly lifts. If you have a reebok outlet near you, keep an eye on their clearance section and you can probably grab a pair of lifters for 60$-ish.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I literally just bought a pair of reebok cross lifters 2.0. I love the stability they provide & am able to power up better than having cushioning on my feet from my running shoes.

The downside is the the angle from heel to toe is not as much as I was hoping for. I had purchased the shoes to overcome calf/ankle mobility issues to allow me to back squat while still working on my mobility.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! That's great information! I've been lifting about eight months now and don't see an end in sight, but I'm not serious enough to get different shoes for different lifts, at least not yet. I may try some Chucks in the meantime. I'm so curious to feel the difference because as of now I just wear my running shoes. Thanks again!