This time is going to be different!

Options
Those are the words that I've said to myself so many times in the past few years. Although I've lost close to 60 lbs it's been very up and down. I started in October of 2009 and I've been up and down between 210-225 for the past year. I just can't seem to stay motivated for a long time. I get really pumped up and I say, "This is it! I'm done messing around!" then in a week or two I'm back to pigging out. I've been vegan for the past 3 months so I've stayed right around the same weight but I've learned that it's still possible to pig out as a vegan (Surprising, I know).

I have about 50 more lbs that I want to lose and with how things have been going, I don't think I'll ever get there. I need to stay committed and focused. Do you guys have any tips on how to stay motivated? (I've already noticed that using these forums help. :P)

Replies

• Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've said the same thing to myself many, many times over the years. You've done great so far -- You need to give yourself credit for the weight you've already lost.

The support here is great, and the forum answers any questions I have. We'll help keep you motivated!
  • methistime
    Options
    I'm struggling to stay on track too. What motivates you? How do you find that which will keep you focused?
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    bump*
    i wanna read this latter i need to learn how to stay motivated too :]
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I am in the same struggle. I notice that I want to "pig out" when I get stressed or bored lately and my medication doesn't help because it increases my appetite so I am fighting against that. I hate myself afterwards and don't know why I even do it so then I feel bad about that and then just want to give up.

However, I then restart and have a new found motivation but then the horrible cycle starts again. As long as you are making progress in the right direction I figure that is what counts. We need to keep picking ourselves up and brushing our bum's off and keep going. It's when we don't get back up and start again is when we have to worry about it!! This is a life process and a change not an easy fix we didn't get this way overnight and it isn't going to change overnight. We need to figure out how to make healthier choices and then try to figure out why we make the decisions that we do and try to avoid them the next time. That is how I have been looking at it lately and it has helped!
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I am in the same struggle. I notice that I want to "pig out" when I get stressed or bored lately and my medication doesn't help because it increases my appetite so I am fighting against that. I hate myself afterwards and don't know why I even do it so then I feel bad about that and then just want to give up.

However, I then restart and have a new found motivation but then the horrible cycle starts again. As long as you are making progress in the right direction I figure that is what counts. We need to keep picking ourselves up and brushing our bum's off and keep going. It's when we don't get back up and start again is when we have to worry about it!! This is a life process and a change not an easy fix we didn't get this way overnight and it isn't going to change overnight. We need to figure out how to make healthier choices and then try to figure out why we make the decisions that we do and try to avoid them the next time. That is how I have been looking at it lately and it has helped!
  • Petewrite
    Petewrite Posts: 3
    Options
    Cody,

First of all, congratulations on your efforts. No kidding. You're doing an amazing job.

I've found that for me to stay motivated, the best trick I have is to continually visualize myself at the
    weight and fitness level I want to achieve. I am by no means a great athlete, or anything like
    that. But I get an image of how I want to look and feel, and let that guide me. I also
    occasionally go for foods and treats I know I ought to avoid, but it's only a little bit, and
    I'm human, and I get back into my routine as quickly as possible. I "see" how I want to
    feel and look, and keep that in mind.

I hope this helps.

Peter
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've said these same words too--too many times to count! But what are your other options? Keep doing what you're doing? or try something new? or to keep trying? I think we have to keep trying! And maybe this time, it really is different--this is IT! For me, it's all about figuring out how to make it different! I talk a good game, but acting on what I say is a constant challenge! I don't have the answers other than to keep trying to figure out what works for you. Good luck on your journey!
  • betterlife2011
    Options
    I am so with u dude i have said it many and here lately like the past couple of weeks i have been really bad eatting what i know i shouldnt and alot of it my reasons for going backwards is that i have figured out its either bordom or my stress levels go up i am the type of person that does not like change and there has been alot of that around my house lately. but anyway the last two days ive tried to get back i have been drinking pepsi which i plan on stopping tomorrow after my appointment with the dietain i have type 2 diabetes. I would really love to know how everyone gets back on track or gets away from their temptations when the happen good luck and remember u have done GREAT job so far dont ever forget that we all have them days or my case weeks lol
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have the financial means to work with a personal trainer. I signed a contract for a YEAR of training - that is going to make me do it whether I want to or not! I'm committed now! And I don't want to let him down by quitting either. He's a young guy and I want to be the person that makes him say "Wow, you should see this older lady I train - that woman gives 110% and never gives up! She works harder than most of the 20 and 30 year olds I train!" :happy:
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    JUST DO IT.

:) Think about how you feel at the end of the day when you've accomplished something good for your body.. feels pretty darn good doesn't it! Especially after that end of workout waarmmm shower... ahhh relaxing!
    You don't get that feeling after sitting around all day, eating crap! Your skin might break out, you can't get sleep, you don't look good!

Option A sounds better to me ;)
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It is really tough. So many people who lose weight have already done it before and are back for round 2,.3.4. That is why so many times you will hear people say its a lifestyle thing.

I wish I had a good answer. I hope to God someone here does cuz I could use it myself. Right now I am just trying to put one foot in front of the other and keep going as long as I can.
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I think using MFP is going to help me stay motivated! If anyone wants to add me as a friend and feel free. We can do this together! :)
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've also said the same thing to myself time and time again, so I'm not an expert in staying motivated and getting the job done once and for all. I think accountability helps, so MFP is very useful, having so many encouragers to help keep you on track.

I like to think of the shopping trip I'll need to take when I am at my goal weight and need new clothes too :)

Katie