coconut sugar?

Options
antennachick
antennachick Posts: 464 Member
So I have noticed MFP has been suggesting coconut sugar in recipes. Anyone know why? Is it better for you then other sugars?

Replies

• PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    It's low glycemic, filled with trace vitamins and minerals, less refined and more sustainable than most other sweeteners, and it's also very versatile as far as substituting in recipes or as a table sweetener. Plain, it smells like toasted marshmallows and has a caramel-like flavor. When cooked in a recipe, I can't tell the difference from other sugars. I highly recommend trying it. It's all I use anymore.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thanks!^ I will have to give it a try ;)
  • Darjaurhziva
    Darjaurhziva Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you heard about Sukrin? It has zero calories, natural origin. It is substitute for sugar in recipes.
  • agnieszkarichard
    agnieszkarichard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also it has the same ratio so you don't have to change the amount for recipes. its awesome i just bought mine this week. its a bit more expensive but I am the only one who uses sugar in my house so its OK to spend more. lol Enjoy
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Coconut sugar comes from the sap of the cut flowers of the coconut palm. It does not come the actual coconut fruit, the part from which most beneficial coconut products are derived.

According to the Philippine Food and Nutrition Research Institute, coconut sugar has nutrients like iron, zinc and calcium, but not much — you’d have to eat a ton of coconut sugar to get them in meaningful amounts. You’d be better off getting these nutrients from real foods.

Coconut sugar is lower than table sugar on the Glycemic Index (GI), which ranks carbs on how they affect your blood sugar (glucose). The GI doesn’t directly apply to sweeteners because it doesn’t measure fructose, the main component of coconut sugar. Fructose ranks low on the GI because the body can’t immediately use it for energy, so it doesn’t affect blood sugar.

The major component of coconut sugar is sucrose (70-79%), followed by glucose (3-9%). Sucrose (table sugar) is made up of half fructose. That makes coconut sugar 38-48.5% fructose, which is about the same as table sugar.

Sugar is sugar, no matter what form it’s in. Coconut sugar has trace amounts of some vitamins or minerals, but not enough to justify taking the fructose hit on your metabolism and liver.

http://coconutpalmsugar.com/Nutritional_Information.html
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1693739
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Coconut sugar comes from the sap of the cut flowers of the coconut palm. It does not come the actual coconut fruit, the part from which most beneficial coconut products are derived.

According to the Philippine Food and Nutrition Research Institute, coconut sugar has nutrients like iron, zinc and calcium, but not much — you’d have to eat a ton of coconut sugar to get them in meaningful amounts. You’d be better off getting these nutrients from real foods.

Coconut sugar is lower than table sugar on the Glycemic Index (GI), which ranks carbs on how they affect your blood sugar (glucose). The GI doesn’t directly apply to sweeteners because it doesn’t measure fructose, the main component of coconut sugar. Fructose ranks low on the GI because the body can’t immediately use it for energy, so it doesn’t affect blood sugar.

The major component of coconut sugar is sucrose (70-79%), followed by glucose (3-9%). Sucrose (table sugar) is made up of half fructose. That makes coconut sugar 38-48.5% fructose, which is about the same as table sugar.

Sugar is sugar, no matter what form it’s in. Coconut sugar has trace amounts of some vitamins or minerals, but not enough to justify taking the fructose hit on your metabolism and liver.

http://coconutpalmsugar.com/Nutritional_Information.html
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1693739

All of this !!
    Op- don't buy into every thing you read.instead do your research and find out for yourself. You'll be surprised about how much info is just hype and click bait .