Decided to give mindfulness a go.

Options
Hi,

With the new year I've made some changes to my lifestyle, mostly a better diet and getting back into weights, running and squash.

I've also started an eight week mindfulness course to try and help with stress and comfort-eating.

The course I'm doing is from the Williams and Penman book - Finding peace in a frantic world.

I was wondering if anyone else had given mindfulness ago, if there's anyone out there that swears by it or tried it and found it wasn't for them?

I've posted this in general diet and weight-loss because I was surprised to not see a "mind and body" catergory or something like that.

K x

Replies

• kwb87
    kwb87 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great! That's good to here! I found the same thing with mindful eating too, some stuff tastes loads better or I appreciate it more. I must say though I've also noticed other things like I've realised I don't really enjoy my second coffee of the morning before I leave for work. It's too rushed, the taste is tiring and dull by the second one and I've probably been drinking too much coffee and tea out of habit or the need for a caffeine kick! I'm only on week two but I'm intrigued to see where this takes me!

Well done for managing to be mindful with a full-time job and family!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Mindfulness meditation helped me recover from a diagnosed health anxiety and was something I returned to at a time of crisis

I should practice it more
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I had considered this. Kabat zinn I know has written a lot on mindfulness and I am striving to integrate it in life and my eating issues. Have you heard of radical acceptance? This really helped me to move on from a miscarriage I had. I'd like to do this with food. I saw a book mindful eating and considered buying it.

I found being aware of emotions and allowing myself to go through the process of why I feel that way and the root cause ( like messages I heard as a child) was very transforming of my mental issues.

Now if I can address it with food that would help me so much bc it's been my coping mechanism forever! But slowly I see progress in that area.