Any ideas for low calorie cod recipes?

Fozziebret
Fozziebret Posts: 4 Member
Back on MFP again after having lost 2 stone & putting 1 back on again over the last year due to work changes and no exercise :-(. But motivated to do it all again!

I really like salmon but it's high in calories, so have asked hubby to get some cod fillets in this weeks shopping. So I'm now looking for some nice recipes that are low calorie to cook this week. No additional meat as I am pescetarian. Thanks!!!

Replies

• Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    edited January 2016
    I bake mine in the oven with cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and a splash of garlic oil.
    Serve with asparagus and broccoli
  • Fozziebret
    Sounds great - will definitely try. Thank you!
  • annetift01
    annetift01 Posts: 1 Member
    I might be coming to the party a bit late but I happen to have a cod recipe for tonight that I'm trying. It's a quick one only a few minutes to make.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5939/tomato-and-thyme-cod worth a look. I thought new potatoes and veg. I also thought olives and garlic and drop the soy sauce. Best regards
  • Fozziebret
    That looks really good, and super low calories. May give that one a go tonight. Will also probably drop the soy and sugar, and since I don't have any thyme might replace with garlic & fresh coriander (which I do have). Could even add a bit of warmth with cumin. Will let you know & please let me know how it goes for you!
  • Tammy_Christopher
    Tammy_Christopher Posts: 337 Member
    Joining in for recipes, I've been looking for a good way to try cod
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited January 2016
    I like this recipe for cod with broccoli and quinoa:
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/spiced-cod-with-broccoli-quinoa-pilaf

I also like to make fish tacos with cod. Lightly dust in seasoned flour and pan cook in olive oil. Serve in tortillas with avocado and fresh veggies.
  • DarthDad08
    DarthDad08 Posts: 1 Member
    I typically bake mine with lemon pepper or blackened seasonings. If I have the time. Sometimes I will sear it in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil and then place the pan and fish into the oven to bake the rest of the way.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Wrap in parma ham, and bake in the oven on a bed of chopped peppers and tomatoes (Hairy Dieters Medditerranean Cod)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Depending on how many calories I have... bit of melted butter, salt and pepper, lemon juice, then baked. Or cut in pieces, rolled in egg white then panko crumbs, and baked (I make a sauce with Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, dill, and lemon juice).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Depending on how many calories I have... bit of melted butter, salt and pepper, lemon juice, then baked. Or cut in pieces, rolled in egg white then panko crumbs, and baked (I make a sauce with Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, dill, and lemon juice).

Mmmm...Panko crumbs nice and crunchy (I do this).

But I have to steal the sauce idea - Thank you!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    2 words.

FISH TACOS.

I bake my cod at 375 for about 6 minutes a side. Before baking just put some cumin, chili pepper, and the zest/juice from half a lime. I like a slaw on top my fish tacos and get the preshredded cabbage (cause I'm lazy) and put some lemon or lime with 1/4 cup of greek yogurt and some jalapenos. I also add cumin to the slaw dressing. I usually serve beans as a side. (mostly because only one of my kids eats fish). Use whatever small taco sized tortillas you like. I like flour tortillas with seafood.
  • Projectjustme
    Projectjustme Posts: 47 Member
    Wrap in parma ham, and bake in the oven on a bed of chopped peppers and tomatoes (Hairy Dieters Medditerranean Cod)

^ this -it's lovely! you could also use a bit of red pepper pesto between the cod and ham (also works well with chicken breast)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    I just parcel it in foil with a splash of lime juice, but I do that with all fish. I'm not very adventurous!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    I grill just about everything. garlic salt/ pepper and you are good to go with most things. Play around with other spices as you go. I find people use to much most of the time.