Those who have had high cholesterol and/or have been boardli

Options
Hi,
My dad just came back from his physical and found out that he has really high cholesterol and he's boardline diabetic. Does anyone have tips to get his cholesterol down and to decrease his chances of getting diabetes?
Thanks!!

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I use Red Rice Yeast to get my cholesterol down. It only took me 3 months to get it from the 260's to normal.
  • lynx__13
    lynx__13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know some tips on this as well. bump
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    re: cholesterol: does he have high triglicerides? I was able to lower them within 3 weeks by limiting my carbs intake big time, and when I did have carbs they were always wholewheat, not white anything. My cholesterol level went back to normal as well, since it was the triglicerides that were too high.

I know there's also medication for it. Maybe his Dr will suggest that, but obviously changing eating habits, like less red meat, would be better in the long term. Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cardio exercise! It is the quickest way to solve both problems.
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    Fish Oil will help with the cholesterol and watching the complex carbohydrate and sugar intake will help with the diabetes. I have high triglycerides but normal cholesterol and I have diabetes. I take fish oil daily and try to get at least two fish meals a week. With cholesterol you also want to watch eating things high in fat and butter. Therefore, watch eatching eggs (so I would recommend egg whites or substitues) and starchy potatoes or things like that should be elminated. Starchy foods should be eliminated with the diabetes as well. There is a lot of good recipes and information for diabetes online and on this website.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I've heard (and personally experienced) that exercise is one of the best ways to decrease blood cholesterol levels, and that despite common misconceptions (even spread by the doctors/health industry), the cholesterol in the food you eat has little to no impact on blood cholesterol levels. Not that you want to go crazy with high-cholesterol foods, but many people are able to regularly eat eggs, dairy, red meat, etc. and lower their cholesterol levels (like myself).
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I also agree that cardio exercise does help with both problems as well!!!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of Red Yeast Rice before, so I just looked up some info about it. Apparently if you live in the US, the FDA regulates it unless the active ingredient is removed which defeats the purpose to some degree.

http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/cholesterol/a/Nrxcol_rry.htm

There's also a lot of controversy about whether or not dietary cholesterol has anything to do with blood cholesterol levels.
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Whole grain foods
    Red Yeast Extract (it's the statins in it that the medications in place are based off of)
    Green Tea
    annnd.... wait for it....

CINNAMON!!! omg! This is the best thing, especially if your Dad is/borderline diabetic. All he needs is a .25 teaspon per day. It'll help keep his sugars level AND reduces his LDL's and raises his HDL's. I've been pairing mine with my hot cereal (Kashi Go Lean or Oatmeal) in the mornings. Sprinkle it on Apples, ice cream, or toast! Even in your morning coffee!

With exercise, Cinnamon and green tea alone, I lowered my cholesterol from 272 to normal, I think, it was in about 6 months.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Before I started on MFP, I was told I had borderline high cholesterol. Pretty chocking news for a 22-year old girl who's been eating vegan for a year, vegetarian for 3 before that.

I just went back to the doctor, one year later, and my cholesterol levels are now healthy. I focused on exercise as a way to get healthy. I took up running, and started eating fish. (I also added chicken and dairy into my diet at this time, but very light on the dairy).

I hope this helps. Really, exercise is what did it for me, since my issues with cholesterol were almost entirely genetic and not food related.
  • sbarrett7171
    sbarrett7171 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have lowered my cholesterol by nearly 50 points by cutting out most carbohydrates. I eat plenty of meat (with no regard to fat content). I eat butter instead of margarine. I use lard rather than oil. I eat pork skins rather than chips. I eat jerky and nuts and use low carb flatbread or low carb tortillas for wraps/sandwiches.

Unconvetional for sure, but there are plenty of studies out there to support my thinking.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Two things happened when I began my weight loss journey five years ago.
    1. While on medication, my cholesterol levels were good, I quit taking Lipitor (which I had been on for about five years). I was getting leg pains, and while my doctor said that would have been a sudden onset, the Lipitor website said, "that in some cases, side effects of severe leg pain onset can be gradual." I quit taking it cold turkey, and the pains went away almost instantly.
    2. I was borderline diabetic.
    Come back and have everything checked in two months. I did, and my cholesterol was sky-high, and my blood sugar was still borderline.

My doctor sent me to a dietician who had me do these things......focusing on hoping to decrease my blood sugars especially.
    1. Keep your total "carbs" to 15 or under a day. In the dietician's world, 1 "carb" = 15 grams of carbohydrates. I became good at reading labels. A banana is 2 "carbs", a slice of bread is 1 "carb", a cup of macaroni and cheese is 3 "carbs", based on the grams of carbohydrates they contain. Also, on my own, I made the switch to mostly all WHOLE grains.
    2. Watch your portion sizes. Don't cut out eating any particular food, but keep track of the portions. I bought a kitchen scale to weigh things out.
    3. Write down everything you eat. Five years ago, I did that in a small notebook and counted my "carbs" in it. Today, I do it here.
    Well, I left her office at the hospital, and thought, "She's a quack, this will never work." Well, I initially lost 72 pound, got lazy and gained back 22 of that, have now lost 8-10 of those, and am working to maintain/lose 5-8 more now. In all honestly, I was probably too light at my lowest point, and I get compliments all the time now on how I look and how amazing it is that I am keeping the weight off. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I take NO medication for either cholesterol or diabetes (however, I am on generic Synthroid since I am hypothyroid).

The other thing I did that the dietician didn't say much about was begin walking.....and I still walk.....and walk.....and walk. Usually around 25-30 miles each week, sometimes more, sometimes less. I did buy a used treadmill so I can walk in the wintertime, and it is the best $200 I've spent in the last 20 years.

Good luck! Hopefully some dietary and activity changes will help your dad stay off medicine.
    Kaye