All exercises: Walking (speed) with weights in hand (pounds) should be an option!

Options
I am a busy full-time-plus worker and don't have hours a day for exercise. I run mostly, but on off-run days, I do other workouts. On my "rest" Sunday, I like to walk. I run outdoors with temps in the teens but not walking when it's this cold (I can't warm up like with running). I walk on the treadmill with 3-pound weights in my hands. It is a great workout and a good sweat! I can't be the only one who does this, so why isn't is an option on "all exercises" when logging a workout?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you use an online calculator to determine the calories with and without the weight you'll see that the additional calorie burn with 6 lbs added is minor (~13 cals for 30 min @ 4 mph for an 150 lb woman.) I think the mfp calculator at body weight is a reasonable estimate.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I am a busy full-time-plus worker and don't have hours a day for exercise. I run mostly, but on off-run days, I do other workouts. On my "rest" Sunday, I like to walk. I run outdoors with temps in the teens but not walking when it's this cold (I can't warm up like with running). I walk on the treadmill with 3-pound weights in my hands. It is a great workout and a good sweat! I can't be the only one who does this, so why isn't is an option on "all exercises" when logging a workout?

You could just eat one extra Necco Wafer and not log that either and call it even?
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Good option, however, you can add some handeling ways for working some other muscles out. Like lifting it upwards.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not every exercise movement has been studied and assigned an energy expenditure.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You have "walking, carrying infant or 15-lb load" or "Create a New Exercise".
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The MFP exercise options don't cover everything. However, what I do is use an online calorie burn calculator then find an activity on mfp that's fairly similar and log that. This is the one I use: https://www.healthstatus.com/calculators/

It's the 9th item down, hope its of use to you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,120 Member
    Options
    I would just count it as walking. I try to estimate low when it comes to calories burned with exercise anyway, so if I happened to burn an extra 20 cal with the weights, and didn't count them, all the better. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Walking with an additional 6lbs in weight would increase your net caloric expenditure by less than 2 cals per mile, I wouldn't worry about logging it any differently than just walking. To estimate net calories expended walking Runner's World suggests the following formula: .30 x weight (in lbs) x distance (in miles)