HELP

Family of 5 and work, how do you find time to exercise?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,371 Member
    Lunchtime at work, weekend activities with the kids, get partner to look after kids while exercising, get a friend to look after kids one or two nights a week, you do the same for them..
  • di2712
    di2712 Posts: 5 Member
    30 min lunch break, not enough time. Sounds simple in theory, forgot to mention taxi for teenagers also and partner on shift work. Thanks for the advice like the friend idea :)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    30min lunch break? What about 20min walk?

How old is the youngest? Are the teenagers able to help a couple nights a week at home with housework, cooking, looking after the youngest so as to allow you to exercise?
  • di2712
    I do 20 min walk that doesn't help. Teenagers help hmm I wish. My best time is at 8 at night on the x trainer and house hold chores. Get tired and un motivated.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    u asked for help, people are giving you advice, you're shooting down everything with excuses of your own.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    di2712 wrote: »
    I do 20 min walk that doesn't help. Teenagers help hmm I wish. My best time is at 8 at night on the x trainer and house hold chores. Get tired and un motivated.

If you are not going to exercise when you do have time available, nothing we say is going to help you get exercising.

We don't need to exercise to lose weight, if you are not losing weight you are likely eating too much (assuming there aren't any medical conditions).
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,242 MFP Moderator

If you are not going to exercise when you do have time available, nothing we say is going to help you get exercising.

We don't need to exercise to lose weight, if you are not losing weight you are likely eating too much (assuming there aren't any medical conditions).
    ^ This.

Also, there are apps out there that will give you an easy body weight exercise that you can do in minutes each day, so if you're really pressed for time, you can do an exercise when you get up to go to the bathroom at work (I have one called 30 Days) or some other quick 'break' time. You can also do desk exercises while you work - there are some quick an innocuous ones you can do at work - google it. Or follow this link: http://time.com/4019563/exercise-work-desk/

I have an exercise ball that I sit on at work, and when I'm thinking sometimes I'll do some exercise ball exercises. I make it a habit to go for a short walk every hour to hour and a half. I take the stairs when I can rather than the elevator. I park a little farther away from the office to get in a few extra minutes of walking. When I'm home, I MAKE time to run. Sometimes, instead of waiting until I get home, I run right after work. Yes, it eats into time for other things (I don't watch much TV), but the results are worth it to me. Plus, the more I exercise the more food I get to eat.

The bottom line is that you have to be willing, you have to make it a priority. If you don't, no amount of 'tips' you get here are going to help you. Figure out what works for you, and figure out if you're willing to put in the effort.

Good luck!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,242 MFP Moderator

Also, I have teenagers at home who are very busy with extra-curricular activities. I drive someone somewhere 4 nights out of 5 during the work week, and they are often on the go on the weekends too. They do their own laundry, the clean bathrooms, sweep floors, weed gardens, do dishes, cook - other assorted chores. Yes, sometimes I have to throw a fit and act like an *kitten* to get them to do it, but they WILL help. We have talked about the fact that I cannot be the only one who takes care of things around the house, as we all live there and I"m out of hte house just as much as they are. They are supportive and helpful - though they ARE teens, so the support is sorta laced with eye-rolling. Ask them to help. Be open and honest with them, and maybe they'll surprise you and step up. If not, you're the parent. Make them help.
  • di2712
    Thanks for all the support and advice, will make changes, have some greatl ideas. Glad everyone's lives are so in control great inspiration. Life is what you make it!