Weight GAIN???

Options
What am I doing wrong - I gained all 4 lbs back and I have been eating less and exercising more - I have only lost a few inches overall and feel I am getting nowhere fast!!! What do I do??? HELP!

Replies

• FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    You stated you lost 4 pounds and gained it back. Eating less exercising more. You said you've lost a few inches...All this adds up to the simple equation. You lost fat, but you built muscle! That's a good thing. Don't focus solely on the scale!!
  • christinehay78
    christinehay78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories? Hard to give advice when you don't have your diary visible
  • jfmastrangelo
    Options
    Don't worry and stick to your plan. Your weight can vary quite a bit depending on the current state of hydration, the food currently in your digestive tract, etc... slow and steady wins the race. Hang in there and don't get discouraged. -john
  • mpeace1406
    mpeace1406 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Could you be retaining water due to that "time of the month" or a lot of salt in your diet?
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. So, you're doing great. I agree also that you might be retaining water which may make you measure bigger. Wait a week or so and remeasure. Don't worry, this is normal.
  • RHunter37
    RHunter37 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Watch the type of foods you are eating. Eating less doesn't necessarily mean losing weight. My trainer doesn't want me below a certain amount of calories, protein, and fat a day. When you go too low on the calories your body wants to keep it and not burn off the fat which is what you want. Do you have a trainer? Are you going to your doctor to make sure you are eating correctly? I am here for you when you want to talk.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    If you have lost inches already, you are doing fine. Sometimes it takes awhile for weight loss to show up, but the proof is in the measurements!

The gain could very easily be water weight.
  • promiseskept
    promiseskept Posts: 119
    Options
    I went through this. First don't give up. Your body will readjust itself and eventually lose it. You can't eat less and always gain. I have had to pick up my water intake, which is difficult for me lately and keep an eye on the sodium, but no fear, if you are tracking everything you will win!
  • lampad01
    lampad01 Posts: 1
    Options
    How much sodium are you eating?? I find that on the weeks where my intake of sodium is higher-- I tend to "put weight back on"-- though really, it's just water weight since your body is retaining water. Very frustrating, I know! Also, make sure you definitely keep eating at LEAST 1200 calories a day... we all need that in order to survive/no go into "starvation mode". Hang in there! Also, if you haven't already, switch up your exercise routine!!

Are you strength training? Muscle weighs more than fat, so it's very likely you are dropping fat, just gaining muscle-- hence the weight gain.

Good luck! :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising more, you need to be eating more. Eat those calories back that you burned. You won't have enough fuel to get through your day or enough nutrients to build a healthy body if you're eating less and burning MORE calories. You're already on a calorie deficit, don't make it even bigger because your body obviously doesn't need it.
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you it's muscle, because I doubt seriously if you've gained 4lbs of muscle. It could be sodium, TOM, lack of hydration or possibly not eating enough calories. Try going back to the calories you were consuming before you stopped losing. Give it a couple of weeks - I know it's scary - and see if that will jump start your metabolism. Make sure you are getting 45 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week minimum. Your body adjusts and sometimes you have to tweak things a bit from time to time.
  • Kalbright79
    Options
    My diary should be visible---I will check and see why it is not. Thanks!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Hi -

At first glance (at diary) I would suggest eating LESS carbs, especially processed carbs, upping your protein per day (aim for 100), eating more fresh/whole foods, and watching that sodium intake.

You will start losing again if you keep logging like this. Great job on exercise too!
  • christinehay78
    christinehay78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. So, you're doing great. I agree also that you might be retaining water which may make you measure bigger. Wait a week or so and remeasure. Don't worry, this is normal.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound.
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/busting-the-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-myth.aspxI

I'm sure some of it is probably water weight. Don't give up - You are doing great!