Post Baby Jelly Belly

bumblebeez86
bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all. Used MFP before and lost over 2 stone started at 156.4 went down to 128. Was 130 when I found out I was pregnant. Hit 171 at last weigh in before induction. Currently 156. Aiming to get back to 130. I know I can and will lose weight will MFP if I stick to it (at least most of the time) The advice I want is more on body composition I suppose. My whole body has changed since having my daughter (8 and half months old now) Particularly the jelly belly!! Any yummy mummies got any advice??? Also have very heavy thighs/bum etc and loose skin on my back now too (and huge boobs!) Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I had three kids in 5 years. I lost the baby weight after each, but even so jelly belly is probably a good description of my middle. The skin just has that stretched out look.

My hope is that keeping my weight down and time will tighten the skin back up.

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Oh and my boobs were enormous. I really didn't think they would ever be normal again. Even after losing all the baby weight plus some. It wasn't until I completely stopped nursing after my 3rd plus 6 or so months after that did they shrink back to pre baby size!
  • simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    Some jiggle is to be expected. If it's really saggy skin, unfortunately no amount of time will fix it. Only surgery.
  • SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    It took me a whole year to lose the jelly belly after my second baby. It was the very last thing to go unfortunately, my body just wanted to cling on to it until the bitter end lol. It really just takes time and persistence, sticking to your calorie goal and exercise.
    I don't know if it was just coincidence, but I noticed a huge reduction in the wobbliness of my belly area when I started weight training. In fact my whole body has benefited from it. I'm a completely different shape now and I'm actually a size smaller than before I had children which is something I never thought was possible. I do still have the wrinkly skin and stretch marks, though. They never go away :(
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    After losing 120 lbs, it took me a year or so to start getting a flatter belly.
    It was still kind of jiggly.
    When I found out I was pregnant this last time, I weighed 155.
    I was 145 for a little while before though.
    When I delivered, I was 205.
    It's been almost 9 months and things are starting to look a bit better.
    But I was obese for most of my twenties so I don't think I'll ever have a flat tummy.

I can wear my pre-pregnancy jeans.
    And I'm still about 15 lbs more than what I was when I was wearing them.
    I think doing more weight/resistance exercises has helped.

I notice the biggest changes in body composition when I lift weights, or workout with kettlebells.
  • faithrainbow1
    faithrainbow1 Posts: 54 Member
    I think part of it depends on your age, as well. If you are in your 20s, it's easier for your skin to tighten up again. The older you get, the less elastic your skin becomes, and the longer it takes for your body to renew.
  • SWink06
    SWink06 Posts: 73 Member
    I had three big babies in three-and-half years in my late-twenties/early thirties. I know my baby jelly belly is here to stay, but I can definitely get it down and looking much better as I continue to lose weight and tone up.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I was obese both times I got pregnant. I gained over 50 pounds with each and they were big babies. It took a few years of trial and error, but I did manage to lose the belly (along with pretty much every other pocket of fat). I do have some loose skin from how much weight I carried there, but it has slowly tightened over the years. I wrote this a few years ago to help get people on the right track (don't worry, it's another thread on MFP and not a sales pitch):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I don't know what a yummy mummy is but this thread explains what you are looking for.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't know what a yummy mummy is but this thread explains what you are looking for.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

I beat you by a few seconds. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

I beat you by a few seconds. :)

hehehehe. Best thread.
  • bumblebeez86
    Thanks everyone :) Looks like strength training is a good way to go - will read the thread when I get chance x
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    It took me getting down to 120 lbs before I got the flat tummy and lost the jiggle. (also have big hips and rear) I stuck with cardio and body resistance moves since weights aren't my thing. But it is possible to achieve :)
  • bumblebeez86
    :)
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    I think it has a lot to do with genetics. I gained 36 lbs with my son, and didn't diet or exercise at all after he was born...I didn't have time, being a full-time working outside the house and full-time mother. But I lost 50 lbs in the first 4 months after he was born. Breastfeeding probably helped. I was a stick after he was born. It wasn't until I got in my 30s, slowed down, and kept the same eating habits that I gained weight. My doctor is now telling me I need to lose weight and get down to my post-baby weight. I do think, based on what I read, that strength exercises and losing weight will get you 90% there in terms of belly fat...and the other 10% is genetics. You'll get there. :)
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    I'm two years postpartum and I still have a bit of jiggle. And some of lose skin which is really only apparent when I bend forward at the waist..except for my belly button wrinkles :o but I can Botox those, right? Right? No. Crap.

Usmcsp's thread is great.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    I have three kids, including one set of twins. I have a large separation in my abdominal muscles, and my doctor told me that there's no way to get rid of it (and the pooch) without surgery. I'm pretty ok with that. My advice is to learn to accept a little jiggle. You may get your body back, and you may not. Some of it has to do with diet and exercise, and some of it is just genetics.
  • kgabennesch
    kgabennesch Posts: 2 Member
    I had the grossest jelly mold tummy after my first and had 75lbs to lose I was 120 pre-preggo ballooned up to 195+, started losing weight after I stopped breastfeeding at 5.5months(my body just holds on even w calorie restriction while bf'ing) I bought a belly burner wrap, it's a Velcro thermal support wrap u can get on those as seen on tv sites or at CVS, started doing Insanity DVD's and only 3 weeks in saw HUGE changes!!! I'm 2 months postpartum with my 2nd and I strapped that wrap on as soon as I got home from delivering and I have seen a huge difference already! I have 50 lbs to lose with this one...Compression wraps added to diet and exercise will help a ton no matter who u are!