Know that feeling

Options
I've lost over 50 pounds and now people say the same thing to me too that I'm too skinny and why do I want to lose more
These are people that have never known our struggle that can't even believe that a fat person can really be skinny
It's a high only we know about
I want to lose more too it's my body I know when to stop

Replies

• myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yep - I got some of those comments 'way back. It's their own subconscious insecurities being vocalized to you. It's a milestone of your success.

Now that I've been maintaining for a year - no more comments since THIS guy, the SLIM-guy, is now what they are used to seeing. Not the doughy-guy.

And it's less troubling for for the commenters, because their subconscious returned to the familiar-and-fully-secure state, securely stored in their own familiar pudge.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My mom did the first 3 years after I lost ("you're too skinny!") until my brother looked at her and said - Mom, she's the only one in the room who's a normal weight and you're picking on HER? The rest of us are fat. She never said anything again.

If your numbers look healthy, be comfortable with it. They aren't really saying you're too thin, they're saying that you look different than they remember you.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm getting this too. I've lost 30lbs and am just venturing into maintaining/recomp. All I've been hearing is comments on how/what I eat and how I don't need to lose anymore. The problem is they only notice my upper body (which really has gotten thin), but me being pear shaped means my bottom half is still pretty big in comparison. I refuse to explain to people that this is what I'm trying to change. I'm a grown woman and it's nobody's damned business.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds and got this often. I even had some people ask me if the weight loss was intentional (implying I was sick). I always smiled and said Yes it's intentional. To the people who told me I was too skinny my reply was yea I know I need to get into the gym more.

I've been at my current weight for over 2 years and no longer get the comments.
  • zenxray
    zenxray Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's now just started. I've lost 46 total lbs and only have 4 to go. Thing is at 151, I'm right in the middle of "Normal" bmi. I'm not "too skinny." I don't get where these comments are coming from at all.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    My mom did the first 3 years after I lost ("you're too skinny!") until my brother looked at her and said - Mom, she's the only one in the room who's a normal weight and you're picking on HER? The rest of us are fat. She never said anything again.

If your numbers look healthy, be comfortable with it. They aren't really saying you're too thin, they're saying that you look different than they remember you.

Such a good anecdote!
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    A few people have said this to me. I don't let it get to me. I know I am at a healthy weight. Been on Maintenance for 8 months.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds, am a few from my goal weight, and nobody has said a word. Probably because I've been going up and down 20# for a long time. So I look "normal" anywhere in the range. My ultimate goal weight is to get to 118, 5'2" and 61, and I might get comments then. It'll be interesting to see. That'll be 6# lower than anyone has seen me in about 30 years.