Teacher Troubles

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I was actually under the impression that a teacher's schedule is very relaxed compared to most jobs - no crazy overtime (which for many of us tends to be normal and not really "over"), no crazy shifts at different hours every week, no 12 hours shifts back to back, no weekends, long holidays. I do not know, maybe it depends what you compare it with. I work in IT, I have a few friends who decided a career change in education, because while it means a significant reduction pay, it also means about half the hours usually expected in IT...
  • texasf1ght
    texasf1ght Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hmm, I was actually under the impression that a teacher's schedule is very relaxed compared to most jobs - no crazy overtime (which for many of us tends to be normal and not really "over"), no crazy shifts at different hours every week, no 12 hours shifts back to back, no weekends, long holidays. I do not know, maybe it depends what you compare it with. I work in IT, I have a few friends who decided a career change in education, because while it means a significant reduction pay, it also means about half the hours usually expected in IT...

Yeah sure, maybe that's the designated work times, but teachers have so many obligations that are not part of the normal school day, after school clubs and tutoring (which may include weekends), grading, lesson planning. None of those things can get done during the school day because you're actually teaching. And then there are the meetings and paperwork. I have weekly team meetings, whole school meetings, and then of course parent conferences sprinkled here and there. There are also meetings and a TON of paperwork if you have special education students in your gen ed classroom.

Luckily, I have no kids and not a lot going on outside of school, so I can workout after school even if it's later than I'd like, and even though I'm mentally and physically exhausted because I know the rest of the night is just "me time". I feel really bad for teachers who are parents because they have almost no time for themselves. Their families take priority. For those teachers I'm sure that they enjoy the time with their families, and I'm happy for them in that sense, but I'm sad that it is usually themselves that they put last on the priority list.
  • melindaaviles
    melindaaviles Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Maybe you can see if some of your coworkers would be interested in walking after school.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the hatefulness in some of these postings, I thought the community was meant for support. Teaching is a very stressful job, as many other jobs. I would see if any of your coworkers would be interested in walking with you after school. At my school we started a walking club, and some eventually started running.

where are you seeing hatefulness?

I see nothing but suggestions...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I don't understand the hatefulness in some of these postings, I thought the community was meant for support. Teaching is a very stressful job, as many other jobs. I would see if any of your coworkers would be interested in walking with you after school. At my school we started a walking club, and some eventually started running.

where are you seeing hatefulness?

I see nothing but suggestions...

I agree
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm a early childhood teacher and work from 7.30 am til 5.30 pm. I go to the gym after work as it's a way of dealing with the stress. Somedays I don't feel like it but it is a way for me to have some 'me' time and not think about work or kids.