Vanity sizing

Options
Did anyone watch the Dr Oz show about Vanity Sizing? I was shocked! A size 12 is from 33 - 38 inch waist. Not only that but back in Marilyn Monroe's time a size 12 was a 28 inch waist!

I can't believe how much it has changed.

Replies

• katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Really?? I wish i would have seen that....
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 10 according to standard American size charts and even that isn't accurate.
    I only wear a size 6-8 the sizes just get bigger and bigger.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    yes! i watched it and was horrified... talk about a confidence killer
  • daisymaegreen
    daisymaegreen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Did anyone watch the Dr Oz show about Vanity Sizing? I was shocked! A size 12 is from 33 - 38 inch waist. Not only that but back in Marilyn Monroe's time a size 12 was a 28 inch waist!

i always wondered. when ever they pull out that remark about Marilyn Monroe being a size 12, well you know just by looking at her pics that she was definitely NOT a current size 12. she'd be like our current size 8, maybe
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It's stupid over here in the UK. I am still 20lbs heavier than I was when I got married 12 years ago, as a size 10 (US 6).

12 years later and 20lbs heavier, I am now having to try on a UK 8, 10s fall off me. It's crazy. By my measurements, I should be 10/12.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    i try to keep in mind that its just a number. High or low, it doesnt matter as long as I am feeling good about myself.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options

People are also taller now a days, so they have to take that into consideration & modify the sizing because taller generally=larger.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I wish I had seen it too! It is crazy how much the sizes have changed. That is one of those perfect examples that everybody uses- Marilyn Monroe and that she was a size 12 (or 14, I think I've heard before). It is used a lot by people to justify their weight/size... but they don't realize that the sizes are so different! A 10 inch waist difference? Wow!
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Just me, but I'm gonna feel grateful! I've got a chance to be a size 12. In Marilyn's time...no way! And of course since there really is no "set measurement" for size who can say...I have 4 different sizes in my closet that all fit about the same!

** last year I had a 38 inch waist and I assure you I never found a size 12 anything that fit!! I was an average 16.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Same with Lucielle Ball (I Love Lucy show). She was like a size 10-12 and I saw costumes of hers she wore for the show and they're SMALL!! She's like todays size 4/6.....
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i try to keep in mind that its just a number. High or low, it doesnt matter as long as I am feeling good about myself.

And that is all that matters. Very well put.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I found it online if anyone is interested in watching; here is part 1:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/whats-your-real-clothing-size-pt-1
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Yes!! Same with Lucielle Ball (I Love Lucy show). She was like a size 10-12 and I saw costumes of hers she wore for the show and they're SMALL!! She's like todays size 4/6.....

I've seen that written in places but never anyplace official. I'm not sure I'm quite believing it since she had a 22 1/2 inch waist! I know sizes were different but c'mon!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've already seen this in action.... around 10-12 years ago, I bought a pair of jeans that were a size 4. They were loose in the waist at that time and I slowly filled them in over the next few years. I gave them away last year when I was cleaning out a box of clothes that were too small because I couldn't come anywhere near to pulling them on. However, I then went out and bought another pair of jeans that were a "size 4" and fit perfectly!! It's pretty darn ridiculous, if you ask me. If I'm really a size 10, then I'm a size 10. Don't try to make me feel good about myself by trying to kid me into thinking that at 10-15 pounds heavier that I'm still a size 4. The people I wonder about are the true size 1s and 2s. How do they find clothes that fit???
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    http://www.rodcollins.com/wordpress/what-dress-size-or-waist-size-am-i-really

I found this interesting, but what I always find rather irritating on listed clothing sizes is the discrepancy between hip and waist measurements for a size. I have a 29 inch waist, which in the UK should make me a 12, but 36 inch hips, which puts me at an 8-10. Surely no one actually has an 11 inch difference between their hip and waist measurement?
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yup that is true, when I was young I went into the military at age 17 I had a 28 inch waist and the the tags in my uniform were size R12, meaning Iwas a regular 12....not a small12 or a large 12.....I weighed about 115 lbs then.......then afew years later after my daughter I weighed 125 and was a size 7, then after my son was born I weighed 140 I was wearing a size 12 again.......and now I wear an 18 w I don't want to know what is was then....lol...now there are no set measuring standards. In the clothing business.
  • TiredOfThisShit
    Options

i always wondered. when ever they pull out that remark about Marilyn Monroe being a size 12, well you know just by looking at her pics that she was definitely NOT a current size 12. she'd be like our current size 8, maybe

Well I wear a 27 to a 28 American size, which is a size four to six. Marilyn probably only had a little extra meat on her bones. How big americans, along with the world, scares me. I read a study that said that 1 in 3 children are obese leaving PRIMARY SCHOOL. Parents are also mashing up fast food and feeding it to babies. What the eff??
  • 5mule
    5mule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's the same for men's clothes. A size 36 inch waist falls off me, but my waist measures around 38 with a tape. I mean, how can a men's size 36 inch waist actually be 40 inches around? Silly. I always thought that I was in great shape because I still fit in size 36 jeans. NOT SO! Funny thing is, when I'm at my goal weight, I can wear size 32 waist (when my waist is actually 35 or 36 inches). The worst part is that I used to be able to buy clothes off the internet because I knew that if I ordered 36 inch waist, I got 36 inch pants. Not any more!
  • stephn1
    stephn1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I saw the Dr Oz show too. When I was 19 I bought my wedding dress it was a size 12 I weighed around 120 lbs. I couldn't fit into that dress now at 156 without taking out the seams, but I bought a pair of jeans size 12 just last month. Crazy. My daughter who is only an inch shorter than me and weighs around 115 to 118 and wears between 5 and 7. They didn't even have those sizes as far as I remember in the 70's.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If a size 12 really has that large of a span, no wonder I'm 20 lbs lighter and I'm STILL in these damned Size 12 jeans.