Hard staying consistent!!

Options
Hi all! I need help with consistency. I get tempted SO easily, especially if I'm out with friends or at someone's house and they're eating poorly. I will eat really well all day and it seems to fall apart by evening. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you overcome it?

Replies

• Manly_hood
    Manly_hood Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey I had the same issue but I managed to control now. This app definitely helps me to control my calories count and I stop eating as soon as I hit my target for the day. Only thing u can do is slow down the intake instead of stop everything one day. For eg if u eat 3 pizza slices cut down to two then 1 and stop completely if u can so gradually u will get to that routine. Give a try.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Well, ultimately it's about making choices.

If you know you're going to someone's house or out with friends and food will be involved, then plan your day to allow extra calories for that. Some people suggest eating before such things so you're not as hungry. Also, maybe if what you're having during the day is more satisfying for you, you won't want to eat whatever it is you're not wanting to. Whatever way you go, if you choose to eat with your friends, you can choose how much you eat.

I'm vegan. So for me, most places I go are going to mainly have things that I choose not to eat. Oftentimes there's some sort of "treat" in the office that I won't partake in because it contains animals/animal products. And that's how I've always thought of things since going vegan - I choose not to eat a, b or c because it has x, y or z in it. It's not an "I can't," obviously I can if I want to, but I choose not to. I don't feel tempted or deprived, and never have since becoming vegan years and years ago. Mindset can sometimes make a surprising difference. Perhaps it's something that would work for you. Whether you choose to have nothing or a little of this or that, it is your choice. And you always know you have the power and control to have none, some, or more.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I usually fall apart by the evening too so I understand. I leave myself 300-400 calories for me to have a nighttime snack every night for this purpose.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there's any magic to it, it's down to willpower.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    The only "magic" I know is to have 1) a reasonable calorie deficit; 2) a plan for the day you will be eating out; 3) a willingness to get back on the wagon if you fall off it. I agree with the posters' suggestions above.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    wideturn wrote: »
    Hi all! I need help with consistency. I get tempted SO easily, especially if I'm out with friends or at someone's house and they're eating poorly. I will eat really well all day and it seems to fall apart by evening. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you overcome it?

define eating 'poorly' ....

are they eating (anything) and you dont have calories left? bump yourself up to maintenance for that day and enjoy. next time, plan better

or are they eating 'junk food' and you think you cant have it. as long as it fits in your goals for the day, yes, you can. there are no 'bad' foods. granted, chips and cookies are not the bastion of nutrition, but you can eat them and as long as it fits in your calories, it wont affect your weight loss.
  • wideturn
    wideturn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My friends seem to always order pizza or have only junk food and when we all get together and they're all eating that stuff, I can't resist. I have terrible cholesterol and am supposed to avoid things like pizza, and it's almost impossible when I'm the only one trying not to eat it. I can't help myself but eat it.
    wideturn wrote: »

define eating 'poorly' ....

are they eating (anything) and you dont have calories left? bump yourself up to maintenance for that day and enjoy. next time, plan better

or are they eating 'junk food' and you think you cant have it. as long as it fits in your goals for the day, yes, you can. there are no 'bad' foods. granted, chips and cookies are not the bastion of nutrition, but you can eat them and as long as it fits in your calories, it wont affect your weight loss.

My friends seem to always order pizza or have only junk food and when we all get together and they're all eating that stuff, I can't resist. I have terrible cholesterol and am supposed to avoid things like pizza, and it's almost impossible when I'm the only one trying not to eat it. I can't help myself but eat it.
  • joel1222
    joel1222 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just try to plan a schedule. I mean, if you have a regular routine it really helps to stay consistent. A lot of people look at a workout schedule as something in which they can cheat on or whatever, but if you look at it like any other thing in life such as you do for work and chores, you just do it and get into a routine. That's how i look at it anyways,
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I like to bank calories for the evening. I would rather eat very modestly throughout the day and save a bunch of calories for the evening. That way if someone wants to do something fun, I'll likely have 800-1000 calories to have fun with.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have that problem if I let myself get too hungry. I always just want to eat the first fatty thing I can get my hands on but I always tell myself it's just hunger. I'll have a lean cuisine or piece of grilled chicken then if I'm still wanting something really fatty ok fine I can have it. But that's never the case!
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can relate, I do great all during the day but nights are bad for me. Here's a couple suggestions, ask your friends ahead of time what they are doing for food, and if its something not healthy, then say you will hang out after dinner so you can make your own food. If they don't know what they are doing, eat something anyway since you know their patterns and your own behavior. Also, having a snack with you that is healthy can also help so you are eating if they are eating. I'm also a big fan of healthier versions of things, like pizza. Cauliflowe, homemade from a mix or store bought crusts would all be better options than delivery. Or order one with all veggies or less cheese, there are many options to made a better choice if you get stuck.

Mindset is everything. As long as you are making an effort to be better, even eating one less piece is ok, than don't beat yourself up and plan for the next time. No big deal, you got this!
  • october41paula
    october41paula Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with; order one pizza from the healthier section. reduce the cheese or the thin crust versions. If they're friends they should want to help you. Or I will also eat lighter for 1st half of the day to accommodate the evening.
  • wideturn
    wideturn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Those are all really helpful ideas :)
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I used to have a similar problem. I would save a lot of calories for the social gathering at night. But the problem was, once I started eating, it was difficult to stop. My solution was that on most days, I'd eat a huge (but nutritious) meal right before going to whatever the social event was. When they order pizza, I'd politely respond "no, thanks - I already ate" However, like most people, I still love food. So on certain occasions, if I really wanted to eat, I'd use that as my cheat meal for the week and have a longer/extremely intense workout the next day.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You are getting together with your friends because you like spending time together I assume.
    You know how they eat and that they always have that food. If you have a medical condition that means you can't eat certain foods then you have to take care of that instead of expecting them to only eat salad and grilled chicken breast around you.
    Don't eat the food that doesn't fit your health goals.
    Bring or order some food that you can eat.
    Talk about your health problem with them. Explain what you can and can't eat and why. Figure out something you can all enjoy together. Maybe make homemade personal pizzas so you can control the ingredients.
    Plan activities with them that don't involve meals or food.
    Get different friends-partly joking but partly serious. If you are not compatible any more or feel frustrated/disrespected by them then maybe it is time to find more compatible people.
  • clockworksailing
    clockworksailing Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lunch box all the way, gotta set your priorities.
  • sayevil
    sayevil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really have a magic trick or blah blah blah. It's about choices you gotta ask yourself if that pizza or "poor eating" is worth. Best of all if you know this always happens why not plan for it? Consume less through the day or make up for it in burnt calories. Better yet distance yourself from these "poor eating habits" or limit to once a week. My friends understood and I also talked to them that I need their help. That I'm trying to lose weight, so I limited myself to two visit every week. Also they were awesome about it and didn't indulge in front of me like how they used too. As a matter in fact most of them lost weight cause of the small changes they made. It worked out great for everyone. They didn't seem much of a difference in what they bought. But we all felt it. Best of luck! Best thing to do. Is to stay true to yourself otherwise you will fail every time.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I am very gluten intolerant ( suspected CD) so there is a lot of things I simply cannot eat without making myself ill, which can lead to issues, but my friends have been mainly supportive (even though I am now trying to lose weight as well as staying clear of the gluten) . I always make sure I have extra calories available when I meet up with them, as I Know I always end up eating something extra. Over time my friends have started to make changes to what they eat around me. They all now love eating sliced veg with salsa/hummus/low fat yoghurts etc. We slice up peppers, cucumbers, carrots, celery etc and add mangetout/sugarsnap peas/radishes/mini sweet corns etc and we dip them like you would crisps.

If pizza is on the menu, mine is a GF and a small one which I track. White wine? I mix mine with ice and soda water, white wine spritzers makes it last longer, I get the taste and half the calories. Shish kebabs, mine is naked (no pitta) same with burgers, out goes the sauce, salsa instead.

My point is, you can still meet up with your friends and have fun in a controlled way, and even if it feels awkward at first, over time it becomes second nature, and hopefully your friends will slowly start embracing healthier eating, mine has made changes to their eating patterns and choices when I am around, which has benefited them all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'll have pizza when I really crave it, but I never really liked a lot of toppings on it, and I don't like thick crusts, and I only have 2 slices... that's about 600 calories and it can fit in my day just fine.

For chips etc... I'm afraid it comes down to willpower. For me I focus on what I'd rather eat instead and 'save my calories for it' (even if I'm not going to eat that thing for a week, doesn't matter... I'll save calories for it by now eating 300 calories of chips). Basically my rule is 'if I don't REALLY crave it right now, I'll save the calories for something I really want instead'.

Another option is to take your own meal or order something healthier when they order pizza. I've been out with friends who only ordered fried food and I ordered a salad. I felt a bit self conscious but whatever, I know I was making a better choice (ok I know that a lot of salads are a lot of calories too, but that one was 500 with dressing).

I have cholesterol issues too but a couple pieces of pizza is not going to have much of an impact frankly.