Does Resistance Training/Weight Lifting = Calories Burned??

Options
paulbsr
paulbsr Posts: 20 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,

I use the MIO Fuse HRM connected to the iCardio/DigiFit to record my workouts.

This morning as an example I lifted weights for 30:15 and according to iCardio burned 385 calories with a HR between 100 and 140.

DigiFit is then connected to MFP, which then adds that 385 to my 1500Kcal giving me a daily Goal of 1885kcal.

Is that right? I get that if I swim or run or HIIT or cycle that MFP will put those calories in the bank for you, but does the same Calorie Burn concept apply to Resistance Training as Cardio??

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Heart rate monitors, from what I understand, are only reliable for steady-state cardio and are not accurate for lifting. 385 calories from 30 minutes of lifting is high.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I show a calorie burn of 130 for 30 minutes of lifting. They count but yours seems high.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    paulbsr wrote: »
    Hi,
    does the same Calorie Burn concept apply to Resistance Training as Cardio??

No - not in the slightest, massive over-estimation (by a factor of x4 perhaps?). HR during strength training isn't an reliable indicator of calorie burn.

It's also a waste of time using a HRM for HIIT - another over-estimation as the recovery periods mess it up.
  • paulbsr
    paulbsr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, what I'll do in the future is just manually adjust the iCardio calorie count down to 100kcal for each resistance session (avg 40 mins) and basta.
  • Dragana_S
    Dragana_S Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I also use Digifit and MioFuse and never had any overestimation of HR or calories, is this repetitive? DId you look at your zone and HR graphs??? . Calories are not a measure of performance for weight lifting. For 30 minutes weight lifting I can burn around 120 calories if I just weight lift, plus warm up and stretch. If I combine weights with hiit using a short bout of hiit to up my HR to 150-160 and then weight lift as hard as I can, and again..; I can burn double amount of calories just from keeping HR up all the time. Also you say that digifit adds calories to FitnessPal and increases your daily food intake by that much. I would not eat back those calories, it is just an estimation and in most cases not even close to the actual calorie use.