Easing yourself into running.

Options
Hey there! I was hoping some seasoned runners could give me some tips for beginning running. Technique, gear, routine, prep, how to get over being embarrassed about being seen, etc. Any and everything helps. Thanks!

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Have a look at a c25k programme (couch to 5k). It's a walk/run routine designed to gradually get you running longer periods. The original is here www.coolrunning.com

Go to a running shop and fitted for shoes, they should check your gait, and as to what to wear - whatever you are comfortable in. Layers are good.

Don't worry about what people think of you - if anything they'll just be jealous and impressed!
  • KatyP29
    KatyP29 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm no pro with running, but I started unable to jog for more than 2 minutes so to improve, when in the gym I would aim to spend 10 mins on the treadmill, starting with my 2 minute run and a speed walk then increasing slowly the time I would run taking away walking time, I would Walk, run, walk, run then gradually built up my time, I can now do a clear 5 minute run x2 (sometimes longer) with a slight breather in the middle during which I speed walk.

Hope this helps, just do the best you can and build up at your own speed, you'll get there. I still have far to go myself but I'm already proud to have come this far already from nothing :smile:
  • Hannahlosing
    Hannahlosing Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm just starting up with running. I'm on week four of couch to 5k and it's great ! :smile:
  • Bev1983
    Bev1983 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've done C25K and it's brilliant. I went from doing almost no exercise to being able to run 5k in the space of 3 months. Unfortunately, I didn't keep it up and I'm back to where I started but I'm planning to start it again soon.

Another thing that worked for me was to get some proper running gear. I felt that if I looked like I knew what I was doing, nobody would really pay any attention. It worked for me at least.

Also, stick a set of earphones in with some music that will keep you moving and you'll soon forget about everything and everyone around you (be careful crossing roads etc. of course though!)

Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Bev1983 wrote: »
    =
    Also, stick a set of earphones in with some music that will keep you moving and you'll soon forget about everything and everyone around you

^^ If you're running outside this is terrible advice. Maintaining situational awareness is critical.......

When I started running I could barely get around the block without thinking death would be a relief..... I didn't follow a specific program. At first I just walked, I walked a lot. Then I added a 1 minute slow "running" interval, followed by 9 minutes of walking, then 2 minutes of running...then 3.....gradually building it up until I could run 10 minutes without stopping (when I say run it was more of a slow shuffle......easy, slow pace is key, you're building your aerobic base not worrying about speed)

As my fitness improved I ran longer and longer distances. My favourite race now is the half-marathon (haven't run a full one yet) and Olympic distance duathons.

It's all about taking your time to build the base, run consistently and cross train (weights, cycling, swimming, rowing etc)

As to embarrassment......runners have become such a part of the urban landscape that we're invisible except to other runners (hence no earphones, wear visible colours, a light if running when it's dark) and other runners are very supportive. Check to see if there's a local recreational running group you can join (many running shoe shops offer free or low cost programs / group runs) and have fun!
  • dirtycxer
    dirtycxer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
  • iruninva
    iruninva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started running 2 years ago with no other type of exercise routine. First time out I struggled to do a mile. I worked myself up fairly well, but once I hit 6-8 miles I developed an ITB injury because I wasnt doing anything to supplement/support the muscles used in running. Youve GOT to have a strong/sturdy core to properly support yourself. So just make sure you do that in conjunction with running. That injury made me defer my first half marathon and I couldnt run for 3 months. Ive since recovered, ran that half a year later and training to run it again, hopefully faster this time around :)
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to better yourself through running. I have been a runner on and off through my life. Currently I'm retraining, as it's been a couple of years. I am currently using the Zombies, Run! Training app. I like it because it has a bit of story, and plays with your music on your device already. It has timed run/walk sections, and even encourages you to stop and stretch or do some small exercises to better your running muscles. Once you've completed that, you could move on to the Zombies, Run! App, which is also super fun.

I get over that whole situational awareness thing by having one earbud in, and one out. It's also important to make sure that someone knows your route, when you're leaving, and when you get back. Just in case - not only for your personal safety in the case of attack, vehicle threat, etc, but what if your roll an ankle/injure yourself - it's good to have someone wondering if you're ok and to maybe start looking if you're not back by a certain time.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to ease back into jogging and was doing so well until I had leg and foot issues. :( I don't think the leg was shin splints because it was a central location for the pain and a little off to the side. After that started easing so I wasn't limping when I walked, I developed what the doctor said was more than likely a stress fracture on top of my foot. :( I've been out of my walking/jogging routine for months but am finally able to start easing back into it (hopefully!). And unfortunately I feel like I'm starting all over. Footwear is SUPER important. I'm pretty sure the type of running shoes I had weren't the best kind. I've since switched to a Ryka pair, but I've only jogged briefly 2 times in them. They feel much better on my foot though.

I walk/jog around a huge lake with trails. I would pick certain stretches to jog on the path around the lake, 3-4 times a week. Each week, if I was able to jog those 2-3 sections and recover more quickly, I'd add another section of pathway. That way I am not so focused on the seconds or minutes I need to be running. Part of the pathway borders a fairly busy road, but I just block it out and listen to my music.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I used the zen labs c25k and b210k. i got fitted for proper running shoes to avoid injury. I do run outside most times. with reflective gear, lights, and 1 earbud in at a low volume so I can hear everything around me. I do also run with my dog, otherwise, i would probably run with pepper spray.

the best advice i got was to go slow. and take rest days.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I did c25k and it worked for me. I was starting from scratch, like literally the couch. There were a couple of weeks I had to repeat but I got it done. I've run a lot of 5k's since then. So I'll second the recommendation for that one.

When you first start out, run for time. When you've spent enough time running you can work on distance. Speed comes last. Do not worry about it in the beginning.

Taking walk breaks is preferable to running yourself into the ground and not reaching your goal.

Consistency is more important than intensity. If you feel like you absolutely cannot do a run it is better to walk it than to stay on the couch.

Most people do well starting out with 3 days a week on a walk/run program, 4 days/week is too much for true beginners.

Supplement your running routine with a solid stretching and conditioning routine. Yoga is usually a good match for runners, but if yoga isn't your thing your options are endless. My personal favorite support exercise for running is kettle bell swings. It doesn't need to be intense or take a long time, 15 minutes twice a week is good enough for now.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Slow down, try to run farther each and every week. Get plenty of rest in between runs. That is the best advice any new runner can receive. Seriously. The exact amount for any of these will vary from person to person.
  • CeciliaBobilia
    CeciliaBobilia Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is all wonderful advice! Thank you guys so much!!!