Exercise Classes - I Need Advice!

Options
I'm a big chicken when it comes to taking exercise classes. I've lost some weight, but have a long way to go. Is there a good class to take that maybe I'd feel semi-comfortable in?? I'm not big on humiliating myself :-/ I keep hearing about Zumba, but I really don't think I could keep up (not really a dancer, but willing to change). Any suggestions??

Replies

• annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    spin class, step classes, etc
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    You do not have to be a great dancer to do Zumba. In fact, most of the work out in Zumba comes from intense aerobic moves and various lunges. It's a great way to burn calories and I'm sure that you'll find many different fitness levels in whatever class you join. GREAT cardio work out.

That being said, a weight lifting class will help you build lean muscle mass---which burns calories even when you're not working out. Spin is great cardio, but it takes a while to get used to the butt hurt. Step classes and Pilates are great, too.
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I tried Zumba too and felt like a complete idiot. Didn't know any of the moves and can't dance at all. But then, a thought popped into my head that all of those people were like me at one time. They only look different because they didn't give up. I still didn't go back to Zumba (just not coordinated enough) , but I did join a step class and work out several times a week, despite how I look. Ultimately, it doesn't matter that I look ridiculous or fat, it matters that I'm doing something about it. Good luck to you!!
  • LesmillsJunkie
    Options
    Spin really is a good start. You don't have to be cordinated and you only work as hard as you make yourself. No one determines the resistance or can even see what you are doing, unless you clearly are letting the bike do all the work for you. The bike can be uncomfortable the first few days, but you really do get used to it :) And no one really pays attention to anyone else. There isn't anything to watch, all we do is peddle.
    A weight lifting class is another one that doesn't required to much coordination to start.
    Then when you get more confident you can walk into the dance, step or yoga classes without being self concious!
  • debbinks
    debbinks Posts: 7
    Options
    yoga people are all shapes and sizes and levels Those who are extremely flexible and those who are not even close
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I teach an interval based class that is self-paced--everyone works for the same amount of time and each person does as much as they can. I'm sure there's something similar in your area. Also, if you'll go watch some Zumba classes at different places, you will find that some of them have athletic types and some have haven't-been-off-the-couch-in-a-while types. Look for a group that includes a lot of people at your fitness level -- more likely than not, the instructor will have tailored the class to match the group.
  • dborba80
    dborba80 Posts: 6
    Options
    Everyone likes different classes so just try a few and see what you like. Most people love Zumba but I abolutely hated it. I do step aerobics and kickboxing. I like classes because I can't push myself very hard alone, but a room full of people keep me going. I think you will find nobody is watching you or caring what you do in a class. Just have fun!
  • eagles0080
    eagles0080 Posts: 15
    Options
    I will second the spinning class. You're least likely to "make a fool of yourself" in a class where all you have to dfo is pedel a bike. Personally I take yoga/pilates (although not cardio..it DEFINATELY helps build stregnth and flexibility)..spinning, weight lifting classes, body combat, step classes ad something called sh'bam which is like zhumba on steroids..lol!
    Group exercise is a great way to help keep you motivated and it's a lot of fun..i would maybe watch a class first..see what it's all about..then dive right into which ever one you feel the most comfortable.
    Good luck! Hope you find something!
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    spin classes,aqua classes,strength training classes, boot camp , and pilates
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I used to be like that at the gym-I would never go because I was POSITIVE people were looking at me like "who's the unfashionable fat loser sweating all over the machine?" Then I just sucked it up and realized that most people don't care. And if they do care, well...I don't.

However, I am a big ole klutz. I once did a step class and took out 3 people. (I swear, I didn't AIM for the pretty ones with no sweat and unmussed hair.) I realized classes aren't for me. Nope, machines and weights that don't move are my best friends now. I can coordinate up...down...repeat quite well.
  • doodlekakes
    doodlekakes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer water aerobics? It takes a couple of classes to get used to Zumba and the routine, but once you do, it is so fun!
  • ExerciseGeek
    ExerciseGeek Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I started going to less action classes to get myself into it, I started going to yoga and pilates to get used to being around others wanting to keep fit. I then did a spin class, then b/l/t, boxfit, yoga for stregth, and now I go to any classes available, body pump etc, I think its just getting over the initial worry about classes and then you'l be fine

Goodluck :happy:
  • LesmillsJunkie
    Options
    I LOVE Sh'Bam! We just got it here. It will go well with our one lonly Body Jam :)
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    haha I am the same way! I always get scared/nervous about trying a new class because I am always so intimidated. Spinning is a great one to start with! Like someone mentioned above, you go at your own pace, you're on your own bike so no one will really be watching you. It's a pretty intense workout. I would start there and then move on to other classes!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I joined Curves because it is just for women. It is a safe environment to start out in. I was not able to do have of the circuit when I started in January but after losing almost 80 lbs since then I can do the entire circuit (30 minutes) plus a half an hour of Zumba.
  • keschuh79
    keschuh79 Posts: 29
    Options
    I like sculpt classes. They build leaner muscle and the cardio isn't usually too strenuous. They can at least prep you for the higher velocity classes like zumba and what not. The instructors are usually really good about modifying movements if you're stuggling. And spin class is good too because you really determine your own pace and resistance.
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    you could always buy a zumba video at home and do it till you are more comfotable to get in a class with other people. Walmart has lots of home work out videos for only around $10!!
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    I have come to love zumba. I was TERRIFIED of taking it the first time and actually forced my daughter to go into the class with me so that I wouldn't be alone. First of all everyone there was really, really nice. Second - lots of people couldn't (and still can't) do the moves correctly. Third - it's a ton of fun and a great calorie burn.

Now, I will say the instructor makes all the difference. My favorite instructor is a woman who over the last 2 years has lost 80 pounds and still has a few to lose so she totally understands people like me and how hard it can be. She is so encouraging! There is this cute little thing that teaches on Saturday mornings though and I hate her. Not because she's cute and thin but because she doesn't get how hard it is for some people and doesn't "teach" the class. She refuses to wear the microphone and she often jumps down off the stage to dance with her friends leaving the rest of us to try and figure out what we're supposed to do. I won't go to her classes anymore, not worth the frustration. So try it and try it with a couple different instructors.

Another awesome class to take is Body Pump. This is a weight lifting class that works your entire body. Start with low weights because I promise you that you will be sore the next day! You will lose inches almost immediately with this class.

I'm still trying to get up the nerve to try a spinning class. They just look so intense that they scare me!
  • LesmillsJunkie
    Options
    I'm still trying to get up the nerve to try a spinning class. They just look so intense that they scare me!

Give it a shot! They are intense, BUT you control the resistance, you control the pedal speed. And just becuase they tell you to ride faster or turn up the resistance you can just not do it :) I did for my first few months. Only you know how hard to push your body, and no one can tell you any different