Legitimacy Issues

Options
MondayJune22nd2015
MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
edited January 2016 in Getting Started
There's an enormous amount of information, via websites, documentaries, etc., to sift through; so what resources do/don't you recommend & how do you decipher what's legit & what isn't easily (without having to read an entire webpage, watch an entire documentary, etc./wasting as little time, as possible)? For example, I decipher legitimacy easily; through whom a website, documentary; etc. blames. Is it blaming me (legit) or someone/something else (not legit), for my choice; to over consume.

Replies

• ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I tend to look to see if an article has references at the end and if so what they reference. If it's peer reviewed scientific stuff I check to see how they've used the data supplied, whether they've cherry picked information to say what they want or whether they have taken the whole thing in context.
    If it's a woo based reference like an article on how waving crystals over your abdomen burns fat then I ignore it.
    Granted it's not the fastest way as it requires reading the references but it gives me a good idea on whether or not I believe the presented facts as facts or as opinion (or in some cases crazy woo-woo lunacy).
    I also look to see if the website or author is pushing a certain agenda, for example, whilst looking for something last night I came across an article on protein consumption that looked promising but the author and the whole site it was posted on pushed a vegetarian lifestyle as a baseline and pushed for everyone to be vegan within a couple of months. Fine if that's your thing, all power to you, but it tends to suggest to me that any articles on said site are biased towards that lifestyle.
  • laurawilcher
    laurawilcher Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If they are promoting a product from which they gain monetarily, be skeptical. This doesn't mean it's completely bogus, just be skeptical. I've found the best advice to see if something works, is if someone I know is doing it and I can actually see the results.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I avoid people without shirts.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you have to buy stuff.....stuff you can't pronounce, stuff claiming to burn fat,boost metabolism, cleanse, detox..

WOO...

AVOID.