Injured Coccyx... Workouts?

Options
Hurt my coccyx going down a slide at a playground and landing flat on my butt! Nothing better to remind me I'm an adult now, amirite?

I'd hate to stay so inactive while I heal. I can walk with minimal discomfort, but sitting/finding a good position to lay flat is hell. I've already made good friends with a seating doughnut, but it's still rather uncomfortable.

What I'm really wondering is if it's okay to lift? "Standing exercise" is supposed to be okay, but will that put undue pressure on my coccyx?

I feel like running would make my tailbone hurt more, but the elliptical should be okay right?

Or should I just stay off it for awhile and then resume exercise later?

Before you ask, no, I haven't seen a doctor yet. I figure there's not much they can really do, other than prescribe NSAIDS and tell me to relax.

Replies

• KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have no good advice for you, but I wanted to just write a note that I understand that pain! I slipped down a pair of stairs a few years ago and banged up my tailbone hard, too. It HURTS! I never went to a doctor either, because from what I could read there wasn't anything that could be done, even if it was broken. I wasn't doing any lifting at the time, though, so I couldn't tell you how that would go. I was doing occasional yoga and I had to sit on a thick blanket for all the seated poses (and Boat was straight out NOT happening). It took a long time for it to stop hurting entirely -- like 2 years. So be prepared for that. It stopped being a constant pain much sooner than that, but it was a long time before I could try doing Boat pose again.

Good luck!
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Mojo sent! I have no idea on workouts but I hurt mine years ago during a tobogganing mishap. It sucks.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have no good advice for you, but I wanted to just write a note that I understand that pain! I slipped down a pair of stairs a few years ago and banged up my tailbone hard, too. It HURTS! I never went to a doctor either, because from what I could read there wasn't anything that could be done, even if it was broken. I wasn't doing any lifting at the time, though, so I couldn't tell you how that would go. I was doing occasional yoga and I had to sit on a thick blanket for all the seated poses (and Boat was straight out NOT happening). It took a long time for it to stop hurting entirely -- like 2 years. So be prepared for that. It stopped being a constant pain much sooner than that, but it was a long time before I could try doing Boat pose again.

Good luck!

Oh jeez, two years????? I have no idea what to do with that information!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I broke mine four years ago. I distinctly remember texting my trainer to tell her I wasn't cancelling our session but that we needed to modify the plan. Did a lot of standing weight work the next couple weeks because the muscles were so bruised as well.
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    Did you do things like squats and lunges or is that a no go?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Good luck!

This is me too, and I'm going on 1.5 years or so. I took several weeks off from lifting because hip thrusts and glute bridges hurt like hell. I eventually realized squats and deadlifts did not bother me, so I restated stronglifts. I still have not done hip thrusts and glute bridges since. It is much easier to sit for long periods now, but it can still be painful.
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    That's helpful to know though, thank you! Guess I'll try what I can and hope for the best.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    My first advice, see a doctor. It may be more than your coccyx. If you have dislocated your sacral joint, there are additional issues they may need to address. The recovery time is long. I was in physical therapy for a year and it still is not great. My pelvis is permanently out of whack. As far as nothing they can do...true to a point but if the pain lasts for too long, they can do a cortisone injection which helps quite a bit. I attempted to continue exercising but it was too painful. In fact, my accident is what let to my being here on MFP.