Lose inches BEFORE weight?

Options
I just started my "journey" again with MFP this past Sunday the 20th. I've noticed I already have more energy, and my pants are starting to fit a little different. I know I'm getting excited and jumping the gun but I have a little ounce of HOPE! Out of curiosity I just went on the scale this morning the weight remains the same. I would like to see inches and weight come off. I have Hashimotos really bad so I know its going to be really tough but not impossible. Thanks for your advice and support!! Blessings!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose inches before weight. Your weight is dependent on a variety of factors, including how hydrated you are, how much food is in your digestive track, etc. You could certainly lose fat and inches but not see it on the scale due to such factors.

Regardless, three days is too soon to be worry about this. Just keep eating within your goal and you'll do fine.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I began my weight loss journey the inches definitely came off faster before the pounds do. Please don't be discouraged. Try to focus on how the clothes fit not necessarily a number. That is one thing that helped me get through my weight loss moment. I do not want to become obsessed with a number in my head I just wanted to feel good shopping for clothes. I hope this helps you happy holidays!
  • fitnforward
    fitnforward Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the advice. Yes, it is too soon. But I do have more energy and the clothes are fitting a little different. I need to stop obsessing over the scale. The past 2 days I have drank 1 gallon of water and it makes a big difference on how I actually feel. Hard to get used to--but I'll do it. Always have to have a bathroom nearby though!! LOL!! Happy Holidays! Blessings :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter which goes first-inches or weight. What matters is that you've started in a journey to better health.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter which goes first-inches or weight. What matters is that you've started in a journey to better health.

Yep!!

Also it sometimes takes the scales a little while to catch up with what our bodies are doing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    yep I lost inches before I noticed the scale numbers going down.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    In my case I didn't lose a pound for the first six weeks but did lose inches.
  • fitnforward
    Options
    I put my scale away for a few weeks, my inches are definitely coming off first. My sweater today was falling off of me, little things I notice more and more. Plus I'm weight training so my muscles must be getting firmer. I won't give up I'm in it for the long haul. Cheers! Here's to a healthy body!
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have gone weeks were I didn't loose weight or I even gained weigth, yet I still lost inches. Don't fret over it. Eventually the scale will start to go down.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I mostly lose in whooshes because I retain water really easily. When I started the scale didn't move for 6-7 weeks but I lost several inches. Then whoosh. Stall on the scale then whoosh. It's why tracking more than just the scale is so important otherwise I might have given up during those first couple of months!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It's possible depending on your exercise. I have been weight training for several months and while I haven't lost much on the scale my waist is thinner and my muscles have more definition and I have far less back fat.
  • fitnforward
    Options
    I was obsessed with the scale, but no now. I did lose 1 more pound today, but as long as I stay steady with the inches I'll be a happy camper!