Walking a Marathon - Any Advice?

Options
Hello there,

I'm thinking of walking a marathon to up my walking game in the summer. Has anyone done this? And, if so, what did you do in the way of prep? I currently walk every day, ranging from 2 - 4 miles, although the longest I've walked in one go so far was yesterday at 5.88 miles.

I'm 42, 191 pounds, female and am hoping to eventually lose around 4 stone. I don't do any other exercise at the moment apart from the walking.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SizeTenByTeatime
    SizeTenByTeatime Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Look up marathon training plans; granted they are geared toward runners, but just modify with walking. You'll need to steadily increase your mileage to build stamina. Pay close attention to your shoes, make sure they are supportive enough for your particular footfall pattern. It can take several months for most runners to fully prepare for a marathon, so give yourself adequate time to train.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    when you say walk a marathon, do you mean on your own or is your plan to sign up for a formal event? Reason I ask is I think a lot of events have time limits for completion. You would have to check the rules of any event that you enter. If just personal, I'd agree with Equus in setting reasonable training goals and building over time. You should probably also consider hydration and energy needs for that distance. If you are going it alone, take your phone and have someone on standby to come pick you up in the event anything unexpected (e.g., cramps, exhaustion, weather, etc, etc)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I haven't done it myself, but recently, as I was looking for running training plans, I notices that there are also half-marathon and marathon training plans for walkers.
    Here is one I came across: http://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/marathon/
    (that site has different plans from "all walk" over "walk run" to "run", the first one is for walkers.)

Agree with the posts before, good shoes and taking time to increase the mileage gradually are probably as important for walkers as for runners.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Start by walking a half marathon. :)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi. You should look up the longest walk training plans. Ones I found tell you how often to walk how many miles paces and gradual increases. I'd do a walking marathon like the Avon39 or if you live in England I think they have long walks there but I don't know if it's called a marathon? Also interval walking will help where you have a slow start then you build up to a fast walk where you are in your target heart rate for 10 min slow for 5 fast for 10 etc. also I found p90x helped me with my walking the plyo part so maybe a free plyo vid on YouTube.

Also if you do avon39 they give you a training guide. I am going to do it this year I think if I'm brave!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So you plan to walk 26 miles? At an average speed of about 3-3.5 miles you are looking at something around 8 hrs. You have gone up to and hour and a half?

Start a plan where you walk more. Maybe try a little jogging. I'd imagine that a plan for a comfortable finish would need to walk that distance in week. But then I remember doing walkathons as a kid (32 km ~ 20 miles) without any training. Kind of exhausting but not impossible.

Basically, just walk more.

The Avon 39 looks like a great idea.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hello there,

I'm thinking of walking a marathon to up my walking game in the summer. Has anyone done this? And, if so, what did you do in the way of prep? I currently walk every day, ranging from 2 - 4 miles, although the longest I've walked in one go so far was yesterday at 5.88 miles.

I'm 42, 191 pounds, female and am hoping to eventually lose around 4 stone. I don't do any other exercise at the moment apart from the walking.

Thanks in advance!

I have not done it myself, but there used to be an annual marathon walking event where I live, and I have friends who have participated. You are looking at pretty much an all day event, they used to start in the morning and get to the finish line in late afternoon. I knew this lady who used to participate every year, and she was really overweight . She never trained, but she did a lot of walking daily. She walked everywhere instead of using a car or bus, so just getting to and from work meant a couple of hours walking daily.
  • SizeTenByTeatime
    Options
    when you say walk a marathon, do you mean on your own or is your plan to sign up for a formal event? Reason I ask is I think a lot of events have time limits for completion. You would have to check the rules of any event that you enter. If just personal, I'd agree with Equus in setting reasonable training goals and building over time. You should probably also consider hydration and energy needs for that distance. If you are going it alone, take your phone and have someone on standby to come pick you up in the event anything unexpected (e.g., cramps, exhaustion, weather, etc, etc)

Yes, it's an official event with lots of people. Will definitely take a lot of water too.
  • SizeTenByTeatime
    Options
    I haven't done it myself, but recently, as I was looking for running training plans, I notices that there are also half-marathon and marathon training plans for walkers.
    Here is one I came across: http://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/marathon/
    (that site has different plans from "all walk" over "walk run" to "run", the first one is for walkers.)

Agree with the posts before, good shoes and taking time to increase the mileage gradually are probably as important for walkers as for runners.

Thanks! I'll check that out, it looks good. I walk in trainers at the moment which are really comfy.
  • SizeTenByTeatime
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hello there,

Thanks in advance!

I have not done it myself, but there used to be an annual marathon walking event where I live, and I have friends who have participated. You are looking at pretty much an all day event, they used to start in the morning and get to the finish line in late afternoon. I knew this lady who used to participate every year, and she was really overweight . She never trained, but she did a lot of walking daily. She walked everywhere instead of using a car or bus, so just getting to and from work meant a couple of hours walking daily.

Thanks! Yes, I think that this may take a long time. About 9 hours at 3 miles per hour!
  • SizeTenByTeatime
    Options
    So you plan to walk 26 miles? At an average speed of about 3-3.5 miles you are looking at something around 8 hrs. You have gone up to and hour and a half?

Start a plan where you walk more. Maybe try a little jogging. I'd imagine that a plan for a comfortable finish would need to walk that distance in week. But then I remember doing walkathons as a kid (32 km ~ 20 miles) without any training. Kind of exhausting but not impossible.

Basically, just walk more.

The Avon 39 looks like a great idea.

The longest walk I have done in one sitting is 2 hours 10 minutes.
  • karierogers
    karierogers Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting with a 10k and then a 1/2 marathon (13.1)
    You can do it!! Just train and make sure you can do at least 75% of the total distance before the race.
    There are lots of training suggestions online. Google it.
    Good luck!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting with a 10k and then a 1/2 marathon (13.1)
    You can do it!! Just train and make sure you can do at least 75% of the total distance before the race.
    There are lots of training suggestions online. Google it.
    Good luck!!

You are giving running advice to walking. It is actually a lot easier to walk longer distances than run. No need to walk 75% to reach her goal. (Nor is it realistic to build up slowly to 75% - no one has time for 6hr+ training days.)
    Probably a few sessions up to 4 hrs of walking will make the 8-9 accessible.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "The longest walk I have done in one sitting is 2 hours 10 minutes."

;-) I love an oxymoron.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've walked 26+ miles in a day before. Over mountains, all above 6000', with 40 lbs on my back. Took a long time, but I also stopped to eat lunch, and filter water on the way. Besides running enough for 5k training, I didn't do any thing else.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

Thanks in advance!

Thanks! Yes, I think that this may take a long time. About 9 hours at 3 miles per hour!
    I've only run 1 marathon but the cutoff time was 6 hours and I'm willing to bet that is a fairly common cutoff time across the board.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Hello there,

Thanks in advance!

I've only run 1 marathon but the cutoff time was 6 hours and I'm willing to bet that is a fairly common cutoff time across the board.

MOST marathons have a 6-7 hour time limit, but there are some that are walker friendly, so OP should google those. I found this interesting:
    http://www.marathonguide.com/news/exclusives/WalkerFriendlyMarathons.cfm
    I'm surprised it says the Marine Corps Marathon has a high number of walkers, since I'm pretty sure that has a 7ish hour cut-off.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to do it with a friend if possible! 9 hours of walking by yourself seems like it might get very boring.
  • run_lift_ride207
    run_lift_ride207 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. You should look up the longest walk training plans. Ones I found tell you how often to walk how many miles paces and gradual increases. I'd do a walking marathon like the Avon39 or if you live in England I think they have long walks there but I don't know if it's called a marathon? Also interval walking will help where you have a slow start then you build up to a fast walk where you are in your target heart rate for 10 min slow for 5 fast for 10 etc. also I found p90x helped me with my walking the plyo part so maybe a free plyo vid on YouTube.

Also if you do avon39 they give you a training guide. I am going to do it this year I think if I'm brave!

If you are a registered participant for the Avon39 events, you have access to various training plans to get ready for the event.

However, not everyone is able to fundraise the required minimum of 1800$ so if you think you'll have difficulties fundraising, I'd think long and hard before doing it. Since any difference in the balance, comes out of your pocket 90 days post-walk. This is typical for large events like thing, Komen, Pan Mass etc.

I've completed 4 Avon Walks and my 5th is coming up.

2hr 10 min is 6.1ish miles up to just over 8ish miles.
    If you want to walk a marathon, you're going to have to sped a lot more time on your feet.

Because if you don't, your feet will hurt, your knees will hurt, your hips will hurt.
    I did my last Avon 39 without spending more than 2.5 hours on my feet, even though I was walking daily.
    I had shin splints for days.

And you'll want a camelpak for water and snacks.
    You'll need to replenish that water and snacks on the training walks.
    Plus Gatorade or Powerade (diluted is fine)