What to do with brussel sprouts?

Options
amusedmonkey
amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
So I've bought a pound of brussel sprouts yesterday to try them for the first time. They're very expensive here (about $12 a pound) so I have never had them before. Curiosity finally won and I ended up buying a bag. What are some of your absolute best brussel sprout recipes? Calories are not an issue, I have a 2300 calorie allowance today.

Also, do they shrink? I mean do I need to use the whole pound for the recipe or would half of it be enough?

Replies

• 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    They don't really shrink but they get soft. I like to put them in soup. Or risotto. And I love them just steamed and after add butter, salt and pepper as a side dish to my meat
  • janenightingale
    janenightingale Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts are cheap and plentiful in the UK but they tend to be a 'love or hate' veg. I'm not keen, neither is daughter #2 but daughter #1 and husband love them. They are a traditional veg for Xmas day. I would serve 4-5 sprouts per person, and no they don't shrink. The traditional way of cooking them is by peeling the outer leaves and cutting any spare bit off stem. Cook them for between 5 - 8 mins in boiling salted water. Test them with a sharp knife. They are ready when cooked through but slightly resistant with a slight 'nuttiness'. Traditionally served with cooked chestnuts (NOT the sweet version). I do like them served like this: shred about 4-5 peeled sprouts per person in a food processor (or finely chop). For 4 people fry a finely sliced shallot in scant knob of butter/olive oil. Chop up two or three rashers of bacon or pancetta and fry off until crispy. Add the shredded brussel sprouts and a about half a cup of hot water to create steam to stir fry. You can add a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Experiment with proportions and enjoy!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't boil them!

They are best roasted in the oven at a pretty high temp. Toss them with some oil and salt, then roast until they start to caramelize and are cooked through. Something like this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2.html

Now I want them!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bake them in the oven with potatoes or fry them in olive oil and spices. I make brussel sprout, broccoli potato stir-fries a lot.
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    They don't really shrink but they get soft. I like to put them in soup. Or risotto. And I love them just steamed and after add butter, salt and pepper as a side dish to my meat

Same. Lightly steamed, salted, and peppered is how I prepare them.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I trim the ends off and the outer leaves, cut them in half and put in a roasting dish with oil and some sliced leeks. 20 minutes later I have a bowl of deliciousness.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not worried that I won't like them. I have not encountered a vegetable that I didn't like, except for beets. It's great that they don't shrink. I guess I will roast half and boil the other. I like the idea of chestnuts and I love roasted vegetables, especially potatoes. How does their roasting time compare to potatoes? I mean do I put them in with the potatoes or add them later? I'm excited!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Roast them in the oven with garlic and evoo. You can also make a au gratin with them.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I get them frozen. I put some in a bowl with a little lime or lemon juice with both red and black pepper and salt. I add a tblspn water, cover lightly and steam for 5 mins. Really good. It would be better with butter, but I'm not willing to do that many cals.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like to cut them in half and sauté in a little olive oil with minced garlic, sun dried tomatoes (reconstituted in a little warm water then drained and chopped - I use that water to flavor some rice or something but don't put it in the sprouts), salt and pepper. This mix could also be roasted. My absolute favorite way to eat Brussel sprouts. You could also add nice sliced mushrooms to it.

I agree with others when they say "NEVER boil them". They turn into sad little mushy balls when boiled.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't boil them!

They are best roasted in the oven at a pretty high temp. Toss them with some oil and salt, then roast until they start to caramelize and are cooked through. Something like this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2.html

Now I want them!

Agreed. We have them about once a week.
  • gargoyle619
    gargoyle619 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I guess I do them differently. Family used to hate them until I made them. I trim the ends and peel the loose leaves. Drizzle some olive oil, season with Johnnys or whatever you like and seasoned pepper. Shake them up to coat them and throw on the barbeque. Toss them on the grill every 2 minutes or so until soft or to desired consistency. Pull from Grill and eat.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Trim them and cut them in half. Toss with evo and some walnuts. Roast in a 400 degree oven. When brown and carmelized up to 40 minutes depending on size of sprouts toss with some chopped turkey bacon and some goronzola crumbles. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and top with a fried egg sunny side up. Warm and delicious salad loaded with fiber and protein!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Steam them or boil them till al dente, about 5mins you do not want to overcook these babies. I love mine with a little bit of butter and some crispy bacon. Butter and fresh chopped garlic also works well. Butter can be replaced with oil.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Roasted is by far my favorite. I also like to finely shop or shred them and sauté in olive oil and garlic then toss with pasta and parmesan. Or chop them with carrots and onions and sauté for a bit, then crack an egg or two over the top and cook until the egg is done.

I hate them boiled. This is how my mother always cooked them so for all of my childhood I thought I didn't like them. Now I eat them weekly.
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This recipe is absolutely delicious! It makes the outside a little crispy!

Oven-roasted Brussel Sprouts

3/4 lbs brussel sprouts
    1 tsp. olive oil
    black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 F.
    Trim ends and remove any old outer leaves.
    Cut in half and place in bowl.
    Drizzle olive oil and stir until evenly coated.
    Lay cut side down on baking sheet.
    Cook for 20 minutes or until golden brown and soft all over.
  • Meranda29
    Meranda29 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Grilled: trim, peel, microwave for 3 minutes to steam a little and soften. Season EVOO, salt, pepper, paprika Then kabob them and throw them on the grill to char.

Roasted: trim, peel, half. Toss with EVOO, salt, pepper, paprika and roast for 30-ish minutes. shake pan periodically. Add in a cubed sweet potato and this is delicious!

Brussels Sprouts 'hash browns': trim, peel and throw in food processor to shred. Or shred on mandolin. Pan fry with evoo, salt, pepper, paprika. They will be crispy and have the taste/texture like hash browns

Basalmic Glaze: trim, peel, half, throw in crockpot with a little water. 2-3 hours on high. Make basalmic, honey, white wine reduction for glaze after they're cooked.

Braised with bacon and onions - yum!

Salad - trim, peel, thinly slice on mandolin. toss with vinaigrette and season to taste. This work better if you let it sit in the fridge overnight so that the dressing really flavors the sprouts.

fry - trim, peel and remove as many leaves as possible. fry leaves in cooking oil and remove to paper towel. lightly salt - crispy and awesome!

Steamed with butter, salt, pepper

Steam lightly, wrap with bacon, secure with toothpick, fry or roast until bacon crispy. enjoy!

Sorry - we really love Brussels sprouts and they keep for a long time in the fridge!
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love brussels sprouts. I steam them for a quick meal, or sautee them. Here's a recipe: http://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/pan-sauteed-brussels-sprouts-caramelized-onions-bacon/
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I steam them until they still have a bit of crunch, I personally hate them overcooked. I toss them in crispy bacon lardons or chorizo and serve with toasted pine nuts. About 8 per person.