Non-Meat eaters!

Options
Hi everyone,

Any ideas on foods high in protein that I can have as I dont eat meat?

Thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Eggs (not sure if you eat those)
    Milk
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    lentils
    quinoa
    tofu
    spinach
    edamame
    split peas
    nuts
    beans
    chickpeas
  • annakg559
    annakg559 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Hadnt thought of cottage cheese :) thanks!
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Calories per gram protein:

Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Whey Isolate - standard 5.2
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Cottage Cheese - non fat 7.2
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Mozzarella - part-skim 10.6
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
    Plant-based protein powder (RawFusion) 5.5
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Edamame - shelled fresh 11.1
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3
  • annakg559
    annakg559 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks guys :)
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I get my protein from eggs beans tofu and Greek yogurt lately but I also sometimes use veggie burgers and commercial products like that, they just tend to be higher in sodium.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I get my protein mostly from beans, grains, tofu, seitan, vegetables, and tempeh. I sometimes have protein powder too.
  • sugarbaregirl
    sugarbaregirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that!!
  • jeebieheebies
    jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan! :) Protein from: lentils, all types of beans (chickpeas, black, kidney), pretty much all grains (rice, oatmeal, cereal, tortillas, bread, list goes on !), soy-based foods (tofu, tempeh, soy milk), most vegetables have small amounts of protein, but I eat a lot of vegs, so it really adds up, Clif bars, hemp and chia seeds. Hope this helps!! :)

Btw -- I do think that there is an over-emphasis on protein in the media and in common diet/health talk! I find that it is the AMOUNT of food I have that makes me feel satiated, and not the macro most present in it. I think it is fueled by money -- protein powder is so expensive, and dairy and meat industries have a huge steak (pun intended) in telling people how there should be a 'protein' portion in every meal. I don't think there's anything wrong with having too much protein or over-compensating if someone is worried, but these items except for grains and legumes do tend to cost more, and carb-rich food like fruit and vegs have more nutrient content (vitamins and minerals, with a lower calorie "cost"). So there's that, and this is just my opinion and what I've observed. :) My boyfriend is a vegan and doesn't go out of his whey (pun intended) to "get in his protein" and he lifts weights 5x a week and works out daily, and has seen awesome muscle progress!