Going to Madison, Wisconsin - what to see?

Options
So, I am going to Madison, Wisconsin for three weeks this summer with my boyfriend and his family. Being from Europe, we have no clue what's there to see.

I was hoping someone could give me some pointers to what we could do for three weeks? :ohwell:

We have already planned going to Summerfest and Door Country, and doing a roadtrip to Iowa/Kansas-ish. I like aquariums, zoos, well anything with animals really, and anything to do with movies, music, nature, books and beach. My bf likes sports, movies, music, fantasy books and computer games (yes, he is one of 'those people' :love: ).
We would also like to see things like 'worlds biggest lobster', 'worlds biggest ball of yarn' and that sort of thing. Anything goofy and fun and different!

Do you guys have any suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I quite like Madison, at least the couple of times we went. They have a nice college town vibe. Ya know, with head shops, offbeat stores and such. The best part about Madison was -- for its size -- it has a handful of nice ethnic restaurants.

Hmm. Have you considered checking out Chicago instead of the road-trip to Kansas and Iowa? You can see more than flat-arsed corn fields if you head into Chicago. *dodges things thrown at her from Kansas and/or Iowa residents* You've got the Field Museum, The Art Institute, the Shedd Aquarium, Science and Industry Museum, the Adler Planetarium and a mess of other things to do all right there. If you want boring, you can check out either a Cubs or Sox game *ducks for her anti-American sacrilege*
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I haven't been up there in forever. I grew up in northern illinois, so used to make the trip up now and again. I can tell you that the weiner-mobile molds are stored in a warehouse up there, but I doubt you could get in to see that :laugh: You could go see the tallest state capital building (only the White House is taller). There is also the henry vilas zoo in madison, I've been there a couple times growing up. You could also check and see when the local county fairs are as those are always a good time. There is a great drive-in movie theater in Monroe, WI, but that's about an hour away.
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you want boring, you can check out either a Cubs or Sox game *ducks for her anti-American sacrilege*
    Well its now obvious you want the terrorists to win. Lol.

Best sport ever = Baseball
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    The Henry Vilas Zoo is free and a pretty good size.....we go every year. Hit downtown State Street for cool shops and restaurants!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I quite like Madison, at least the couple of times we went. They have a nice college town vibe. Ya know, with head shops, offbeat stores and such. The best part about Madison was -- for its size -- it has a handful of nice ethnic restaurants.

Hmm. Have you considered checking out Chicago instead of the road-trip to Kansas and Iowa? You can see more than flat-arsed corn fields if you head into Chicago. *dodges things thrown at her from Kansas and/or Iowa residents* You've got the Field Museum, The Art Institute, the Shedd Aquarium, Science and Industry Museum, the Adler Planetarium and a mess of other things to do all right there. If you want boring, you can check out either a Cubs or Sox game *ducks for her anti-American sacrilege*

Missed that she was thinking of traveling that far, let me think a little more. A friend of mine is one of the designers at the Science and Industry Museum, so I can't say enough about that. The Field of Dreams (you know, from the movie) is in Dyersville, IA along with the ERTL (toy tractors) museum.
  • Vendetta2300
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

We are actually gonna be staying in Chicago for a couple of days, maybe I should have mentioned that :blushing:
    I have every intention of going to the Shedd aquarium - they have freaking Belugas :noway:

We are going to Iowa/Kansas-ish to see corn-fields (lame, I know, but my country is very small and we dont have huge fields of anything), amish people and lots and lots of cows. So Im hoping they actually have cows in Iowa, but from what I've read, they dont really have anything else :laugh:

I really want to go to a drive-in movie theater: thanks for mentioning it. I have never seen a drive-in movie theater, except on the movies (yup, no drive-ins on my side of Europe) :embarassed:
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The Henry Vilas Zoo is free and a pretty good size.....we go every year. Hit downtown State Street for cool shops and restaurants!!

Exactly what I was going to say! My kids love the Henry Vilas Zoo! We live about an hour and a half away from Madison and go every year. We especially love that you can carry in your own picnic!
  • Vendetta2300
    Options

Exactly what I was going to say! My kids love the Henry Vilas Zoo! We live about an hour and a half away from Madison and go every year. We especially love that you can carry in your own picnic!

Will definatly check this out - I adore zoos!
  • heyree424
    heyree424 Posts: 21
    Options
    How about the Dane County Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings? That's my favorite thing to do in Madison!
    http://www.dcfm.org/
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin-Fireworks, Adult books stores, Petting Zoos, The Dells, and a trip to Milwaukee and Summerfest....after that go to Chicago, much more happening there!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

We are actually gonna be staying in Chicago for a couple of days, maybe I should have mentioned that :blushing:
    I have every intention of going to the Shedd aquarium - they have freaking Belugas :noway:

We are going to Iowa/Kansas-ish to see corn-fields (lame, I know, but my country is very small and we dont have huge fields of anything), amish people and lots and lots of cows. So Im hoping they actually have cows in Iowa, but from what I've read, they dont really have anything else :laugh:

I really want to go to a drive-in movie theater: thanks for mentioning it. I have never seen a drive-in movie theater, except on the movies (yup, no drive-ins on my side of Europe) :embarassed:

You can do all of that in ILLINOIS!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Nice, the Shedd Aquarium's belugas are flippin' amazing to watch. Enjoy!

Oh, and since you mentioned you were going to Door County:
    I really hate to recommend this on this site but if you want to have a truly horrible (in a good way) mega-blowout American breakfast whilst you're in Door County, go do the White Gull Inn and have their Cherry Stuffed French Toast. It really must be seen to be believed -- it is ridiculous and pretty damned tasty. http://www.whitegullinn.com/breakfast.html Get their "half order" and you can have enough for the entire table to share. :noway:

LMAO. If by "best", you mean coma-inducing. Please don't kill me. :flowerforyou: *runs off before she gets pummeled*
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options

LMAO. If by "best", you mean coma-inducing. Please don't kill me. :flowerforyou: *runs off before she gets pummeled*
    You sound like my fiance; she hates March through October. Basically because its all I have on. Now that I have the MLB Network its all bad. Lol.
  • Vendetta2300
    Options

Oh, there's LOTS more here in Iowa... bean fields, stinky pig farms, towns with farmer's complaining about the weather... :laugh:

Seriously, it's spread out, but there's "big city" stuff too... well, not compared to NYC or Chicago, but you get my drift. What time of year are you coming? You MUST try real Iowa beef and sweet corn!!! Also, if you're here in August, come to the Iowa State Fair! It's the fair that "State Fair" the musical is based on and has been voted one of the top 20 things to do in the US.

We'll be there the first three weeks of july - I am a vegetarian, but I will tell my boyfriend to get the beef. He's a big meat eater and hates corn, so I can just eat his sweet corn - perfect shared meal :laugh:

We're staying with friends of his parents (renting a car for our little road trip), and of course we can drive if we want to see something special, but mostly we'll be in Madison.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    you can bring me lunch at the capitol.
  • Vendetta2300
    Options
    you can bring me lunch at the capitol.

HAHA, that would be awesome :laugh:
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin-Fireworks, Adult books stores, Petting Zoos, The Dells, and a trip to Milwaukee and Summerfest....after that go to Chicago, much more happening there!

You left out the ample supply of out-of-work-hippies. I swear if I see one more guy walking the street with a guitar......