Butter in coffee

Options
I've been listening to LCHF podcast and several have said that they put a tbsp of butter in coffee. Does anyone do this?

What about creamer or half and half?

I know the point is to keep high fat. Thoughts?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you like it and can afford the calories go for it, other than that it's not magic.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Sounds disgusting, I can't think of any good reason to do it. Coffee is an appetite suppressant and fat can make you feel fuller longer. Together maybe they have super-filling qualities? But for the calories in that tbsp of butter I can think of much more tasty alternatives :)
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Why dont you try coconut cream instead? Or just drink full cream?
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have had butter in coffee and it's ok, but I prefer coconut oil or thickened cream. IIFYM
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Bullet-proof coffee

to me, it's a truly laughable concept

but then I don't keto and I like milk in coffee :D
  • allison4224
    allison4224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use 3 TBSP of half and half in my 10 ounce coffee. Wouldn't dream of using butter, tho. If I wanted higher fat, I think I'd add more nuts to my diet (not coffee.)
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I tried it, it tastes just fine. I also do coconut oil .. It's a vehicle to get more fat in and it really does keep you satiated until lunch. The coconut creamer is definitely tastier
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I would MUCH rather drink the coffee black and eat a full fat yogurt after that then put grease into my coffee. I think its called bulletproof coffee or something like that. Yuck.

This.

Also I don't see a reason to add low nutrient calories to my day that I won't even enjoy, but then I'm not keto and don't actively try to increase my fats. Adding butter and oil to stuff doesn't fill me up particularly, but being hungry between breakfast and lunch isn't a problem anyway.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mfr0125 wrote: »
    I've been listening to LCHF podcast and several have said that they put a tbsp of butter in coffee. Does anyone do this?

What about creamer or half and half?

I know the point is to keep high fat. Thoughts?

Cream is the traditional thing to put in coffee, though I usually have it black I do sometimes have double cream in coffee (50% fat). Half and half and creamer are worth avoiding under all circumstances. Putting butter into hot drinks isn't really my thing, as I have a fridge and don't need to resort to solid fats.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Milk in coffee. Nothing beats it. Healthy vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, and even 8 grams protein.
  • FitClarice2016
    FitClarice2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are doing strict keto or low carb most people use coconut oil and full cream in their coffee...Half & Half and milk have higher carbs.
  • mfr0125
    mfr0125 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It supposedly is rather good. Many low carbers who don't enjoy a big breakfast like to drink their calories this way. Because the coffee has just fat in it, it is a good way to avoid a blood glucose rise, and the subsequent insulin rise. Many consider it to be a fat fast ( body is relying mainly on fats for fuel through the night and this is a way to extend that) which allows them to feel full until the afternoon.

My keto coffee is usually a teaspoon of coconut oil, a tablespoon or two of whipping cream or coconut cream, and I often add a bit of protein powder later in the morning. I am a low carber who has always liked drinking my calories (juice as a kid and ice tea or soda as an adult) and I tend to skip breakfast so it suits me.

If you do add butter or oil to your coffee, make sure you bend it or whip it or you'll end up with an oil slick on the top rather than a tasty froth.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I actually find it very tasty if you blend it up so it's frothy and not oily. It gives coffee a nice flavor. It just depends on your personal tastes. I don't eat breakfast most of the time so I usually have coffee with 2 TB of heavy cream or if I have extra time then a coffee w/ a little butter, a little cream, and a little MCT oil blended up.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Butter? No, but I do occasionally put a half tsp. of unrefined coconut oil in my coffee.

I normally drink my coffee black with about 1/6 tsp. of sugar.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I would MUCH rather drink the coffee black and eat a full fat yogurt after that then put grease into my coffee. I think its called bulletproof coffee or something like that. Yuck.

+1

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Gross. No thanks.
  • AmberLeannnn
    AmberLeannnn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Butter is cream. It's delicious!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Butter is cream. It's delicious!

I wouldn't put cream in my coffee either.