High school lunch ideas?

Options
hulagirlmb
hulagirlmb Posts: 5 Member
I need some healthy lunch ideas that can fit in my backpack! I've thought about salad but don't know how I would bring my homemade dressing. I don't really carry a lunch box and just throw everything into a collapsing lunch container. It's got one big container that fits a sandwich and 2 smaller ones. I've also thought about getting a Thermos for leftover crockpot stews. I do most of the cooking (when I'm not being too lazy :p ) and pack my own lunches so I can pretty much do anything that will fit in the container. Thanks :)

Replies

• Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My daughter takes alot of different things, fruit, string cheese, how about some hummus and veggies or cottage cheese. I know sandwiches can tend to get old. I love the thermos idea for leftovers.
  • smmgraham
    smmgraham Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you seen mason jar salad? I didn't want to risk glass so I bought quart size screw top plastic.

Put the dressing on the bottom, your most durable veggies next, greens at the top. Layer in anything you like in between. Give your container a shake to mix the dressing when you're ready to eat.

These can keep several days to a week in the fridge.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    No I will have to try. I have seen alot of recipes for them and wondered how well they kept.
  • p2pnailz
    p2pnailz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs
  • hulagirlmb
    hulagirlmb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    smmgraham wrote: »
    Have you seen mason jar salad? I didn't want to risk glass so I bought quart size screw top plastic.

Put the dressing on the bottom, your most durable veggies next, greens at the top. Layer in anything you like in between. Give your container a shake to mix the dressing when you're ready to eat.

These can keep several days to a week in the fridge.

Ooh! That's pretty smart. I think the plastic would work better for me too. I'll have to look for those
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    In summer I often take salads to school (which is work for me); I use an airtight plastic container for the salad and a miniature jam jar for the dressing. So the dressing goes into the jar, the jar goes into the container with the salad. When I'm ready to eat, I just empty out the jar, put the lid on the container, give it a good shake and eat my delicious freshly dressed salad.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I know mason jars might not work in this case but... Just fyi, those little individual fruit cups like Dole brand fits in the top of a wide mouth mason jar. It helps keep wet stuff like dressing separate from dry stuff (salad). soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/09/recycle-tip-fruit-cups-mason-jars.html

Mason%2BJar%2BSalad2.jpg