What to do with brussel sprouts?

Options

Replies

• MeAgain2011
    MeAgain2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If calories are not an issue ...

Wash, peel off any damaged outer leaves, trim bottoms. For larger sprouts, I cut in quarters, smaller in halves.
    Toss with olive oil and pepper.
    Add 3-4 ounces of uncooked pancetta, about 1/4 inch dice.
    Spread on a sheet pan.
    Roast at 400 degrees, checking in at about 7-minute intervals to shake the pan and turn the sprouts until they are as crispy as you like.
    Wait until the end to add any salt, after the sprouts and pancetta have cooked together.
  • MeAgain2011
    MeAgain2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    PS: I second those who say not to boil! This was also how my mother made them, so I hated them growing up!!! Boiled, served with vinegar. Gross.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    This is a very simple recipe and low calorie. It does call for pancetta, I think bacon can be used in its place.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/11/sauteed-brussels-sprouts-with-pancetta.html

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So boiling is out. My plans have changed for today due to an unplanned dinner, but I will be cooking them tomorrow. I was sent a recipe to my inbox which looks interesting (stuffed brussel sprouts). I think I'm going to do that with half (and add chestnuts to the stuffing), roast half, and stir fry the scooped middles left after stuffing then eat with pasta. This would allow me to experience them in several ways. Thank you everyone!
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Is everyone afraid of bacon? hahahahah...

My favorite is to pan fry some bacon till crisp, remove from pan, halve the sprouts and cook in the grease till browned...add some chicken stock(just enough to cover the bottom of the pan) salt and pepper and cover and cook until sprouts are tender and have soaked up the stock..add bacon pieces back to pan to warm and serve. So delicious!

I also put them as the top layer when cooking a roast dinner. They steam in the pan and are great with a little of the gravy :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Trim them and cut them in half. Toss with evo and some walnuts. Roast in a 400 degree oven. When brown and carmelized up to 40 minutes depending on size of sprouts toss with some chopped turkey bacon and some goronzola crumbles. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and top with a fried egg sunny side up. Warm and delicious salad loaded with fiber and protein!

Holy crap, that sounds amazing!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Trim them and cut them in half. Toss with evo and some walnuts. Roast in a 400 degree oven. When brown and carmelized up to 40 minutes depending on size of sprouts toss with some chopped turkey bacon and some goronzola crumbles. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and top with a fried egg sunny side up. Warm and delicious salad loaded with fiber and protein!

I strongly dislike Brussels sprouts, but this sounds awesome. I might have to try it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Yep, it does! It will actually be my choice of recipe for roasting sans the bacon (I don't like bacon)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Yep, it does! It will actually be my choice of recipe for roasting sans the bacon (I don't like bacon)

It'd probably still be amazing even without the bacon.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't boil them!

They are best roasted in the oven at a pretty high temp. Toss them with some oil and salt, then roast until they start to caramelize and are cooked through. Something like this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2.html

Now I want them!

^^^^ THis is how we do them in my house!! We use olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. :smiley:
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I LOVE brussel sprouts. I steam them until soft (I don't like them hard or crunchy). Then in a saute pan I add a little EVOO, butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder. I saute them until browned. Delish! Roasted is another good option. Toss with EVOO, salt & pepper. You can also shred and all to salads.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Throw them out. Have pizza. I kid. I really only like them roasted or sauteed some. They're a bit overpowering for me otherwise.
  • 00EmilyJo00
    00EmilyJo00 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Baked in the oven with a little bit of oil, salt and pepper.
  • j_baerg
    j_baerg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I slice mine thinly and add them either to a salad or do a very quick saute with a little olive oil or a small piece of bacon if we're being indulged. Roasted halves are also good in a salad with fresh kale and roasted potatoes
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love brussels. I take the leaves off each one. Then sautee in garlic and a little butter .. so good. also I had cold brussel sprout salad in a restaurant once where the leaves were taken off. I wish I had the recipe. I think it was rice vinegar and cranberries.. it was to die for.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If calories are not an issue ...

Wash, peel off any damaged outer leaves, trim bottoms. For larger sprouts, I cut in quarters, smaller in halves.
    Toss with olive oil and pepper.
    Add 3-4 ounces of uncooked pancetta, about 1/4 inch dice.
    Spread on a sheet pan.
    Roast at 400 degrees, checking in at about 7-minute intervals to shake the pan and turn the sprouts until they are as crispy as you like.
    Wait until the end to add any salt, after the sprouts and pancetta have cooked together.

This is my favourite too. I use regular bacon if I don't have pancetta. Also a drizzle of balsamic or dusting of parmigiano reggiano - so good!
  • marleedegraff
    marleedegraff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just had Brussels Sprouts for the first time in my life tonight. I steamed them while I cooked some bacon. Then threw them in the pan with the bacon for a minute. I cooked the rest of the family a big pot of spaghetti, so I put some marinara on. It was delicious!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Roasted with sriacha/mayo/yogurt sauce. I ate a whole Costco bag last week. Yum.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    You can cut them finely like shredded cabbage and add them raw to a salad - especially good with kale, dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds, and a sweeter dressing like poppyseed, or raspberry balsamic, or Asian sesame. They can also be brined for raw kraut like regular cabbage but I'd only do that if they are cheap. You can make a version of kimchee with them too.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    They are best sauteed in lots of butter and finished in a balsamic reduction with Parmesan. When I'm counting calories I roast them in olive oil with sea salt. They are very flavorful that way. I like them cooked until they have crispy edges. Many people who don't like them have only had them boiled. I don't reccomend boiling them.