DASH Diet

Options
My doctor wants me on the DASH plan (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension), and wanted me to download the PDF version of the book (which I did). If anyone's had success with it, I'd love to see your before and after BP numbers !

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended it but I didn't specifically follow it. I do use MFP to watch my sodium and try to keep it around the dash levels, try to get enough potassium in as well, and get my exercise in to control my BP.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I did not do the DASH diet, but I did dial back my sodium intake (my BP was high).

I was never one to add a lot of salt, but I sure found out where sodium hides.

My BP, in the beginning was 148/98. It used to be too low, but then went to four high readings in a row. So, my Dr. told me to cut down on sodium, cut back on my wine intake (I am in the wine business) and lose ten pounds. Well, I followed all of her instructions, except one. To date, I am down 88 pounds. I am almost back to being my normal weight. Yea!

My reading, last week was 132/84.

I cook with a lot of spices and herbs. I use NuSalt (salt substitute). I eat regular food, no funny diet, just real food while watching the sodium and minding the portion sizes.

Today, however, I went over my calories. That is the first time that I have done that, in the past year a half. Oh well, it is one day and tomorrow, back to normal.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I did not do the DASH diet, but I did dial back my sodium intake (my BP was high).

My BP, in the beginning was 148/98. It used to be too low, but then went to four high readings in a row. So, my Dr. told me to cut down on sodium, cut back on my wine intake (I am in the wine business) and lose ten pounds. Well, I followed all of her instructions, except one. To date, I am down 88 pounds. I am almost back to being my normal weight. Yea!

I cook with a lot of spices and herbs. I use NuSalt (salt substitute). I eat regular food, no funny diet, just real food while watching the sodium and minding the portion sizes.

Today, however, I went over my calories. That is the first time that I have done that, in the past year a half. Oh well, it is one day and tomorrow, back to normal.

I am guessing you didnt follow the wine recommendation? :) My excuse is that is has the much needed potassium to balance sodium.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    This site will be extremely useful. The DASH diet has been around for decades... because it works ! Trust it.
    On this site I found out that things like a slice of pizza had 900mg sodium, and honey baked ham serving had 800mg. You will learn.
  • pdxwine
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »

I am guessing you didnt follow the wine recommendation? :) My excuse is that is has the much needed potassium to balance sodium.

Actually, I did. I actually went eight months without drinking wine. I tasted (and spit), since that is part of my profession, but I did not consume. After eight months, I added wine back in, at dinner time, but in a smaller amount that before.
  • pdxwine
    Options
    This site will be extremely useful. The DASH diet has been around for decades... because it works ! Trust it.
    On this site I found out that things like a slice of pizza had 900mg sodium, and honey baked ham serving had 800mg. You will learn.

Exactly. The other thing to remember, read labels. Canned tomatoes, beans and such can be loaded with sodium, so OP, you will want to look for "no salt added" or low sodium choices. Same for tuna. I buy my low sodium tuna at Whole Foods. Believe it or not, they have the least expensive low sodium tuna.
  • caris3
    caris3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've just started this diet, and would love to have friends doing it as well. I'm only 28 but already have blood pressure and sugar levels that are too high, and it's really scary. Feel free to add me!