I Never Thought Possible!!! 20 years Overweight....Now This!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Honest congrats....burn some rubber with that bike...good luck sir.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! Very impressive!!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Awesome results!
  • Fattonz
    Fattonz Posts: 60 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Jlefevre5 wrote: »
    Awesomeness by you. Can you describe your dumbbell and body weight workout. We are the same age. Can you give your height? I'd like to see what is possible for me if I am committed!

I didn't really start with the weights and body weight resistance training until October 23rd 2015. So from May 2015 up until that point was mainly elliptical and cycling. In August 2015 a bad dirt bike wreck left me with a badly broken and displaced collar bone which I had to have repaired through ORIF surgery:

e2vg0zt1aay1.jpg

That of course made it impossible to do any type of upper body training, but I stuck to my routine cardio exercises as best I could. When I was cleared by the Dr. at the end of October, I decided I wanted to step up my game. I started incorporating some weightlifting and resistance movements into my routine. But honestly, I really had no idea what I was doing. At the time I owned one set of 20lb dumbbells. Basically I would do my 20 or 30 minutes of elliptical, then I would do some simple exercises like dumbbell bicep curls, wrist curls, shoulder presses, push ups, leg lifts, crunches. I had no idea about taking the movements to failure in a given amount of reps/sets and would basically just pump out reps to get through the workout. But I was having fun, and I was seeing results.

More recently I have started watching calisthenics videos on YouTube, and also following a trainer on YouTube who's channel is called Athlene-X. He advocates clean bulking and a lot of his suggestions you can do at home with basic equipment.....you just have to ignore his promoting his product talk....lol.

So I stepped things up and bought myself and incline/decline bench and a better selection of dumbbells:

1qtvc3h9bs88.jpg
    2cnzozyx738r.jpg

I also installed a chin-up bar in my house and fabricated myself a store away dip station that hangs on my chin-up bar and then easily stores away when not in use. I really didn't want to clutter up my house with tons of big equipment:

lhph11eo32qo.jpg
    0xhu7evurh2o.jpg

I use resistance bands, but mainly as a form of assist. I can step into this band to assist me when doing pull-ups and chin-ups. This allows me to do more reps, thus training the muscles to eventually be able to graduate into being able to do full sets, unassisted. So I try as much as I can to include the classic dips, push-ups, pull-ups, chin-ups, sit ups, etc... Into my routines. In addition I aim for full body workouts using mainly Dumbbells using movements I have learned from the abundance of available videos on YouTube. I work out three days, take one off, work out two days, take one off, then repeat. If I am working a certain muscle group, say chest, I will pick two to four chest exercises and perform 3 or four sets for each, consisting of 10-12 reps. I select a weight that lets me fail in that 10-12 rep range. On the last set of a given exercise, as soon as I hit the last rep I can possibly muster, I drop the weight down and immediately pump out another set to failure with the lower weight. Sometimes if I am ambitious enough I will, drop it down another time with yet a lower weight, and take another set to failure. When I am done that body part is on fire and complete mush....lol. I split up the muscle groups to try to attain appropriate rest between workouts. I have a gym at my work and that is where I do legs. I will mostly do leg presses, extensions, and leg curls using the hi tech equipment. I bought one of those nifty little ab wheels, and I gotta say I love that thing and thus incorporate it into my workouts.

As far as what's possible through commitment. ANYTHING! Really, I know that sounds SO cliche, but I have witnessed it in so many forms throughout my life. I once slugged it out for 18 years trying to support a wife and three kids as a poor carpenter. Bills were always behind, never knew if I would have employment next week or where I would be working. In 2011 I decided it was time for change. I went to night school evenings and weekends while working full time. I sold most of my personal possessions at one point to avoid losing the house as the mortgage was 3 months ish behind and creditors were phoning constantly. But I made it through and am in my fourth year of enjoying my lucrative and stable career as a power engineer. I am able to provide VERY comfortably for my wife and kids, plus have a little fun besides. A couple years earlier I never would have imagined it possible in my wildest dreams. A career change, a six pack belly? Those things were unicorns to me. So believe me....ANYTHING really is possible.

I am 5'-7".

• Jlefevre5
    Jlefevre5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My man Fattonz --You are an inspiration to fat guys everywhere who need a kick in the pants to drop some lbs. Many thanks!
  • Fattonz
    Fattonz Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Jlefevre5 wrote: »
    My man Fattonz --You are an inspiration to fat guys everywhere who need a kick in the pants to drop some lbs. Many thanks!

Seeing you folks all inspired inspires me! So I thank you.

Hey go back and have a read once more of my last post. I edited in another paragraph or two, just seconds ago.

Enjoy :smile:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Top work - well done, you look so much younger.
    I was fat from 31-51 and really regret not sorting myself out earlier.

Enjoy your fit 40's, you've earned it.
  • rdgfreshstart2016
    rdgfreshstart2016 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great post and congrats on the success
  • bikinivirgin
    bikinivirgin Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    congrats you went after your goal no excuses even with an accident and family health and made it a reality nicely done.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Inspiring!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • flyingfur74
    flyingfur74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look fantastic. Awesome job.
  • pgray007
    pgray007 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Awesome work and nice KaTooM!
  • adawson55510
    adawson55510 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic!!
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new journey your family would be so proud.
  • saminabilal
    saminabilal Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Amazing you and your wife :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!