Replies

• LninYoDA1htownG
    LninYoDA1htownG Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love home nothing like training in your comfort zone
  • mistermmx
    mistermmx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also love working out at home. But, as with anything, there are pros and cons.

Pros:
    Privacy (can work out shirtless and in underwear if you want to)
    Your choice of music
    No queuing for machines
    No ego getting in the way ("I can't be seen lifting less than that guy!")
    No membership fee
    Work out when you want

Cons:
    Takes up space
    Don't get the adrenaline rush from seeing other people pushing themselves
    Less variety of equipment
    Easy to half-*kitten* it, since you're the only one who sees it (not that people in the gym pay much attention, but the psychological effect is there)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home only because it takes me 3 seconds to get to my basement to start and 3 seconds to get "home" after my cool down stretches. ;-)
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I prefer home I can listen to my music as loud and make as much noise as I want

Ditto!

Fortunately, we have a finished basement with plenty of space to house a home gym (we acquired the equipment slowly over the years). No gym fees. No waiting to use the equipment. Our own music. Our own big screen TV so we can choose what to watch. Ceiling and floor fans to keep cool. And our own shower after the workout.
  • Karozel7
    Karozel7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love it because when I'm done, I don't have to a)shower, dress, drive home OR b)drive home all sweaty.
    It's nice to just be able to hop in the shower at home and then put on some pajamas.
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    Options
    If you can, start purchasing equipment little by little, even if they're used. But make sure everything is still in good working condition or have someone who know of these machines look at them first and check that everything mechanically works. That's if you like to use certain machines.

Now with regards to free weights, jut get yourself a power rack. A good one too. Don't buy any flimsy crap.

Powerhouse, Nautilus, etc. are all great commercial grade manufacturers.

I also prefer working out at home unless a buddy of mine hits me up to go lift or something and I'm not working on a tight deadline on anything.

But yeah, I've slowly built up my gym at home and basically have everything I need there, except I can't be doing deadlifts and dropping shyt like that at all.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Home gym master race. No waiting, you know the equipment will be available, but also no cardio MILFs.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I prefer home training but the gym has much more of a range and if I go to the hassle of going to the gym I'm going to make the workout count!

I've started buying free weights, a step, mats...and there is youtube. But I don't have a huge amount of space at home.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I live on the third floor of an apartment building so home workouts aren't possible. I don't have space for the squat rack and bench and even if I did I'd get a noise complaint after my first set.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I think more and more people is going to lift in home.
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've done both, but now prefer the gym. I retired early so have plenty of time, and it is a way for me to mix with people of all ages. Space and general limitations of equipment can be a drawback, plus, since I'm older, there are machines I tend to use vs. free weights to reduce chance of injury. I'm actually joining a second gym that will open soon, which is about 5 blocks from where I live. They had a $15 / mo no contract pre-opening sale with waived initiation fee so can't beat the price. I was thinking of buying a nice piece of aerobic equipment; however at the new gym monthly price, it only made sense to go there instead.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Oh..one good thing of some gyms (at least at the US) is that they open 24/7.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Both... I have a gym membership and I have some equipment (actually all weights) at home.... If I can't get to the gym I'll turn on YouTube and find a workout to do... But I honestly don't feel like I get as much of a workout at home as I do when I go to the gym... unless I run in the neighborhood (which I haven't done in a few months because of the weather and time changes).
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I am all about the home workout. My husband and I both prefer the house over the gym. Over the years we have started slowly building a "home gym" and we have built up quite a collection of equipment, so I have plenty of options to choose from. I like being able to watch what I want on tv to keep from getting bored, not have to wait for any equipment, having the "privacy" to look like an idiot if I am trying something new for the first time and most important I actually get it done at home. If I had to drive to the gym, workout and then drive home, I would never go and would be wasting money on a membership.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I mostly workout at home. I like being able to set things up in a way that makes sense to me, superset and circuit train without getting in anybody's way, leave things out if I want, lift barefoot, etc. I also like improvising when I want to try a new exercise but don't have the exact equipment I need. It's like having an exercise lab all to myself.
  • Jamisinaof4
    Jamisinaof4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I prefer home, however, I do go to the gym when possible. While at home I can be doing laundry and other stuff in between sets, exercises, etc. I've slowly built up my gym over the years-now I just need to get my husband and boys to use it! :-)

I'm fortunate to have a free gym available to me at our Navy base, however, it's over 18 miles away. I usually go there when I know I have a lot of stuff to take care of while on the base that day!!
  • Golferdrone
    Golferdrone Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Home: Bodybeast, 12 yr old son does it with me
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I've done both - I prefer home. I've built up a gym as well - I have the following: treadmill, recumbent seat bike, elliptical, free weights and a universal weight machine. My gym is open 24/7 - for me, it 'fits' because I have a horrible commute to and from work - by the time I get home, I don't want to go anywhere else - my gym is waiting for me!