Yo yo dieter

Options
Stopped smoking 3 years ago on 28th January. Watched the scales go up up & UP. Now I'm like a yo yo. Putting on, & then losing a few lbs here and there. Need to know how to stay motivated, as often when the first few lbs come off and I maintain same weight a few days I get disheartened. I'm thinking of trying the military diet. Anyone tried it? .........

Replies

• Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Don't try dieting. Try changing how you live. You have to think of it as a lifestyle change that you want to maintain forever. So if you go out and do some no carb or high fat/carb or whatever type of diet, you are going to stop doing it eventually and fall into old habits. You have to learn to change your relationship with food.

Learn to eat things you enjoy but in moderation. Learn limits, learn when you are satiated instead of full. Learn when you are thirsty instead of hungry. Lots of learning has to be done.

But if you really want to try the military diet... no, never done it :/
  • nisa7210
    nisa7210 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thanks I'll take on board your great advice. I really need to up my exercise. I tend to eat little and often as when im bored I feel hungry. I've tried drinking water etc.... But can't seem to shift this mind set from boredom. It was cigarettes once but been replaced by food. Thanks for your reply :smile:
  • melissavangulck287
    melissavangulck287 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I myself have never tried it, I have some fellow yo-yoers who are currently on it. Just observing how and what they eat, I personally wouldn't do it. To me, it doesn't appear to be a very balanced way to eat. And I agree with clobern80, don't diet. Change how you eat and your relationship with food. I yo-yo'd for a very long time, have tried many "diets". The most and best success I've had is just with clean eating and portion control. Just some food for thought
  • 33Chief
    33Chief Posts: 106 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race!
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I yo yo too. I have northern European blood and I think the "fat gene" comes with that. The people who couldn't pack on the pounds died in the hard Polish winters. So the weight comes on easily. But I also have pretty decent success losing it. I've decided that's just how my body works and don't worry about it. So I'll lose 30 pounds or so (once lost 70 lb., it was too much and I looked gaunt), plateau for a while, the weight creeps back on a while after that, and then I count calories again and lose a bunch.