Couch to 5K

Options
Hey,

Is anyone else doing Couch to 5K - i'm starting tonight... SO NERVOUS!
I don't even think i'm going to manage the 20 min run tonight, ill do my best.

Anyone else doing this challenge or has finished... in the process?

Replies

• elyssalaurennn
    elyssalaurennn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Starting week 2 this week!
  • Slimdownmb
    Slimdownmb Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Starting week 2 this week!

How have you been finding it? I never run!! :-(
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can check out the C25k group here :)
    i did it and the b210k and now can run 13 miles
  • harryrarabrown
    harryrarabrown Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I completed it in May last year. When I first started I could barely do 1 or 2 minutes but it's definitely worth it!

Good luck
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Good luck, OP!

I've done C2-5k a few times and found the second week to be the hardest When that was the case, I repeated a few days of the first week, or the previous day.

For me, a lot of it was mindset. I tried to go into each session with an open mind knowing that that run COULD be better than the last. I wasn't a runner and now I absolutely adore doing fun runs and races. I also found that signing up for a fun run gave me more motivation to train.

Stick with it and you'll see results. Enjoy!!!
  • vermillionflux
    vermillionflux Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Slimdownmb wrote: »
    Hey,

Is anyone else doing Couch to 5K - i'm starting tonight... SO NERVOUS!
    I don't even think i'm going to manage the 20 min run tonight, ill do my best.

Anyone else doing this challenge or has finished... in the process?

Yes. I haven't exercised in about two years. It has gained so much in the last three years. I too AM nervous about the couch to 5k but I'm doing it. I started Monday. It's not really that hard and I am excited that I'm doing something now. Good luck to you!
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 - I was actually surprised I was able to run the 8 min each day of the first week. I mistakenly modified this first workout of week 2 and went 90 jog, 90 walk for 25 min - but I was happy I was able to do it - I need to make sure I read it carefully for the next workout :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
  • bonbaic32
    bonbaic32 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did the program last year and it was great. The feeling you get from successfully completing each workout is amazing. I am starting over since I am recovering from a bout of plantar fasciitis. Good luck to you all.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I completed it last year. I was 60 lbs heavier at the time and found some of the weeks more difficult than others. I ended up repeating some of the weeks and even went back a week once. Worth it though. I now regularly run 5k without any issues and this year have signed up for some 5k races.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I completed it last year and have since done the 5k races and a 5k mud run. My biggest piece of advice is to not try to run too fast - if you're brand new to running and you start out at 6-7 mph, you'll likely find it difficult to complete the longer runs. I started at under 4 mph and was able to eventually build speed from there.
  • wandererlust
    wandererlust Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been stalling and haven't started it yet! I'm a terrible runner and don't know if I can do it...but I think you just motivated me to give it a shot tonight!
  • Priss08
    Priss08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner. I hated it. I tried C25K because my husband loves running and wanted us to do it together. I'm proud to say that on Saturday I finished week four. I'm excited to finish the program because it really does work! Don't be nervous, you can do this!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Priss08 wrote: »
    I was never a runner. I hated it. I tried C25K because my husband loves running and wanted us to do it together. I'm proud to say that on Saturday I finished week four. I'm excited to finish the program because it really does work! Don't be nervous, you can do this!

Congratulations!

Week 4 is finished? What app/program did you use? The Zen Labs app and NHS podcast both go for 9 weeks.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I graduated last March and celebrated by raising £300 for an amazing charity in my first official 5K. I'm now signed up to run a 10K for the same charity this March and aiming for a sub-60 minute finish.

To give this some context, I have moderate asthma and running for the bus made me wheeze and struggle. I took about twice the time to do the programme, repeating weeks as I needed to get the strength, confidence in lungs and fitness up. I did the NHS programme - the music is rubbish, but Laura was brilliant at getting me through and having the aural cues by listening to music I'd never usually listen to really helped.

As you get to about week 5, and it all starts to feel like an achievable goal, I'd recommend booking a place on an organised 5k, then you have a goal to work for. The motivation of not wanting to let my sponsors down was huge for me, and really got me through!

Good luck - you can do it! :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Priss08 wrote: »

Congratulations!

Week 4 is finished? What app/program did you use? The Zen Labs app and NHS podcast both go for 9 weeks.

pretty sure they meant the completed week 4 and not that they finished the program
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    C25K works great. The secret: don't run too fast. Your running should all be done at a conversational pace, even if it means you're running barely faster than you walk. If you can't speak in complete sentences, slow down until you can.

C25K is really about getting to the point where you can run 30 minutes without stopping, whether it's 5K, less, or more. For many people, it's less. But beginners get big gains in fitness from only moderate stress, and if every run leaves you feeling like you're gasping for breath, you're likely to get discouraged and quit. Stick with the program, and then, after you finish, you can work on getting faster if you want.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to use this program to get back to running. Haven't set a start date yet, but if anybody is planning to start soon and wants to be buddies, please send me PM or FR! :-)
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How is it going OP? :) Don't worry too much, you don't actually have to run for 20 minutes straight until the end of week 5 (and even then, you can repeat weeks if you want).
    I started it last year in March, and now the furthest distance/longest time I've run is 15km in about an hour and 30 minutes. My fastest 5k is 26 minutes 12 seconds, and I now regularly run between 8~10k for "fun" 3 or 4 times a week (well... when there's no ice on the roads) without getting tired or out of breath.
    So the program works! You've just gotta keep at it and not try to do too much too soon.
    Good luck everyone!
  • amy84lynn
    amy84lynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few times but never finished (story of my life with exercise programs). I do like it though and have recently started it again after having a baby and not being able to run for almost a year. The two biggest things that have helped me be more successful with it are-- set a reasonable pace at the beginning and stick with it, and repeating weeks if necessary. In previous attempts, I found that as I got better, I wanted to up my pace and ended up failing. But if I stuck to the same pace throughout, I stuck with it longer. Also, some weeks were harder than others; so I didn't advance to the next week if I didn't feel comfortable where I was at. I had a slow start because I started over the holidays but I'm on week 2 now and feeling great about it! Best of luck!!