How can I do it without gaining loads of weight?

Options
I used to starve my body, as well as purge when i ate too much. I got down to a weight of 83 lbs at 5'3''. I then went into treatment and gained weight at over 3,000 calories a day. My metabolism seemed to have sped up. However I would also do a lot of jogging in place per day. But then when i was discharged I was afraid of maintaining that intake and I did not want to feel like I needed to do the excessive jogging in place so I decreased my calories slowly to 1200 per day (bad I know.) I was still moderately active. I didn't lose any weight however which scared me. Then recently I stopped having time to be active, as I am in the middle of an intense semester at school so I lowered my intake to about 1,000 calories. I still am not losing. I'm assuming I am deeply in the starvation mode everyone talks about.

My question is, I KNOW i need to increase my calories. Right now I weigh 108-109 lbs. But how can I do it without gaining loads of weight? I am 21 years old and people my age need a ton of more calories usually to maintain their weight but I feel like I lost my ability to do that with my starvation and purging.

Replies

• Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your situation is so unique that I wouldn't take the advise of anyone on this website. I highly recommend seeing a nutritionist that specializes in helping people who have been through what you have. I'm so sorry you went through that and wish you the best of luck with your recovery!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Hunny, you should really be asking your health care team about this. ALL those people you probably hated to listen to before. Just trust them to take care of you to finally beat this horrible disease you have. You can do it!!!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If you eat at maintenance, you shouldn't gain weight. Obviously 1200 isn't maintenance. But I switched my intake over night, and was fine.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your situation is so unique that I wouldn't take the advise of anyone on this website. I highly recommend seeing a nutritionist that specializes in helping people who have been through what you have. I'm so sorry you went through that and wish you the best of luck with your recovery!

This. Please seek professional guidance.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    At that few calories, your body is in starvation mode and you'll never lost the weight. You have to take in at least 1200 calories and if you're doing lots of exercise, you will need more. Remember the calories are helping to fuel your body, and your body needs that fuel to properly function, to increase your metabolism, which in turn will help you burn more when you work out or even in general. Common recommendations is to eat back half of what you burn in exercise calories, but that works for some and not everyone. You really need to get your calories to at elast 1200 or you will just stay in this frustrating rut.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Get an accurate assesment of what your daily calorie intake should be based on age, weight, and activity level minimum (there are even more accurate methods). Then just add 10%-15% to that evry day. Make sure you have at least a modest level of physical activity each week though to keep building lean tissues.
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    What does MFP say when you have your settings at maintenance? It takes your current height and weight into consideration. Try it for a couple weeks and keep an eye on your weight to see what it does, if your not getting the desired effect, just change it up again. You could even try adding maybe 50 cals a day until you get to maintenance, just so your body can get used to it more gradually.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I agree seek medical advice. But if you slowly increase your calories, and your calorie burn you should be fine. And yes, you should be eating more calories. At least 1200.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think you should speak with a health professional ASAP.
    You don't want to take any chances with your health and there is obvisouly an issue at hand.
    Please take care of yourself!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you have a very bad relationship with food.

Up your calories in 50 calorie increments every two weeks while implementing some sort of exercise regimen. It can be just a daily walk for 30 minutes. Let the added calories be in form of green veggies & lean protein.

You may gain a few pounds because you've been starving yourself and now your body is going to try to harvest some of those calories BUT bare with it because you will eventually start seeing the results you want to see. You have to allowed your body to reverse the damage you've caused.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    As a personal trainer-I was taught in school-people with this problem need to seek professional help. I didn't get a degree to help this-nor did most people on here. I would go talk to a doctor. It seems like you still have stuff you need to talk out!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer-I was taught in school-people with this problem need to seek professional help. I didn't get a degree to help this-nor did most people on here. I would go talk to a doctor. It seems like you still have stuff you need to talk out!!

^^ This.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Hunny, you should really be asking your health care team about this. ALL those people you probably hated to listen to before. Just trust them to take care of you to finally beat this horrible disease you have. You can do it!!!

I agree with this. With your situation, you need to seek the counsel of your doctor and a nutritionist.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    1) DEFINITELY speak to a healthcare professional right away.

2) There should be absolutely no need for a grown woman to lose weight at 109 lbs. Why are you trying to?

3) The minimum amount of calories needed for your body to function properly is 1200. And this is 1200 NET, meaning after you subtract any calories burned by exercise. Anything lower for an adult is unhealthy - especially without medical supervision.

4) If you are gaining weight on 1200 calories a day, your body is trying to TELL you something! It NEEDS those calories!

5) And if you were in a medical facility for the purpose of recovery and gaining weight, you should not have been finding time to do things like jogging in place to lose the calories you were supposed to retain. This, and the rest of your post, tells me you should find a counselor ASAP, because you are still fighting against recovery.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Total agreement with everybody except the one that obviously didn't read your post! I've watched my daughter go through this struggle for years and as much as I wanted to help her the fact is this requires professional advise. We all wish the best for you and are here to support you, but please don't take anything you get from here as a replacement for the real deal!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I agree with the aboe posters. In this situation it'd be best to talk with professionals.

I wish you the best of luck :)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options

Completely agree. This could affect your future health, fertility etc so please, please take care of yourself and ask a medical professional. And a big hug for having the courage to share your difficult struggle with food with us and I wish you all the best on this journey. x
  • katema62
    katema62 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi
    If you are just moderately active you should be able to take in 1500 to 2000 calories a day and not gain weight. You may not want to decrease your calories that drastically. If you take in few calories your body will want to keep what you have in order to survive and of course no weight loss. The only way to increase metabolism is to stoke the fire by eating and moderate exercise.

But if you eat certain foods high fiber carbs, protein, and fats like avocadoes and olive oil and eat 5 times over the course of the day to build up to 1500 calories while just doing some lite walking 20 mins a day you should be able to maintain your weight. Don't give up carbs either we need them for fiber, mood, and good colon health.

As you gain weight which may happen a bit don't be scared your body will adjust to the extra calories. Remember when you do not weigh enough for your body type or low BMI your body Does Not need that many calories. That is why a bigger person can eat 3000 calories a day just to maintain their weight. Over exercising at this point will cause you to eat more and though you can take in more calories it will be hard to truly reset you metabolism. Figure out if 110 is where you want to be then over the course of two weeks watch your intake to 1500 to about 2200 or figure out your BMI and adjust your calories for maintenance. Take it slow with exercise and see where your body feels comfortable. i just think over exercising or eating too few calories is not a lifetime commitment that is manageable. Give yourself one day a week to have the things you want so as not to create a habit of bingeing on bad foods. Then the next day adjust those calories...going without the things you love creates a hostile environment within your body. We all deserve to have the things in life we love. Having mental mind games over food should not be one of the fights. Remember its the quality of the food that matters. Good luck!!!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great place for support from people who are working on maintaining or losing weight. However, it is just that! A group of non professionals, brought together for a common purpose. After reading what you have been through, I would be a bit leery about seeking advice here. Your case seems to be quite unique. You have already had the help of professionals that know the specifics of your situation. I would strongly recommend that you seek help from them. You want to have a healthy body, not just a thin one! Again, I'm not a professional, just one of those on MFP that is trying to help
  • rg4u
    rg4u Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow I am seriously touched by all of your caring replies. I do work with a counselor as well as an MD right now but i guess I've just been afraid to let them know that I am slipping. However as per most of your suggestions, I will bring this up at my next appointment.

I will aim to increase my calories slowly and if I do gain, what the h*ll! Let my body settle where it feels comfortable!