Advice on exercising with spinal issues

Options
Hello Women 50+,
Hi I'm Bim, I'm 61 and I live and work in Liverpool, UK. I've just rejoined a week ago, I'm looking to lose at least 28lbs whilst upping my fitness levels. I have to be careful with excercise as I have a degenerative disease of the spine, and have suffered prolapsed discs and sciatica. My backs not too bad at the moment, but I've got problems with my neck. My Doctor is happy for me to do more excercise, recently I've been walking a lot more. I've an air walker and an excercise bike at home too. Anyone else got similar issues? What kind of exercise do you take part in? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi mate... I'm in Essex 33 years old had sciatica for 4 years. Just recently had injections in my l5/s1 to try take pain away... on a 6 week call back if pain doesn't go and believe might have to have them bolted together.. I wasn't to bothered about excersise I was doing, I was doing everything I shouldn't squats,deadlifts shoulder presses, RDL, rowa
    Since the injections I've stopped and been trying to see what I can do.
    You sound like u had alot of pain in your time and sorry to hear about it.. I read up put nothing heavy on your shoulders go light, NO crunchs, no bentover rows, NO shoulder presses, nothing to do with straight legs
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Sorry just noticed your a lady... shouldn't call u mate haha
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise. Keep doing that as much as you can. If you have access to water exercise, it can be a great work out for those who need very low impact. I have a dislocated pelvis and started with just swimming. I worked up to water jogging and then water boot camp classes. Water boot camp made me sweat more than any other exercise I have ever done but didn't hurt my joints or back at all. Once I felt like I could handle a bit more, I got a good trainer. (Yes, it's expensive but not as expensive as a lifetime of medical issues would be.) Now, I lift heavy and recently started yoga as well.
  • Scousemaggie
    Scousemaggie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gary. You have my sympathy regarding your back issues, no one understands how extremely painful and debilitating it can be. I've had cortisone spinal injections 3 times, 1st one worked,next 2 didn't. My problem discs eventually fused together so I have very limited movement in my back. Have you had any physio, traction yet? If not, push your Dr for a referral, believe me a good physiotherapist is worth their weight in gold.
  • Scousemaggie
    Options
    Thanks Debra, I must admit I'm actually starting to enjoy my walks now. My husband bought me a Microsoft health Band for Christmas and I love it, it monitors all my steps, any exercise I do, it links to my windows phone and this app too. I live opposite a sports centre which has a pool, so I might try swimming or aqua aerobics once a week, see how I manage.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Hi Bim. My best advice is to keep walking. I have had two failed spinal surgeries with titanium fused to my L3-4 to S1. I live in chronic back pain and sitting is the worse thing I can do for my back. I walk outdoors on average of 7 miles a day when weather permits and I do Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos when it is too cold to go outdoors. Walking has helped me with my back and leg pain. Since taking up walking I feel better than ever. In fact I took up golf at the age of 55 last year and I love it. Me swinging a golf club and pull my clubs....who would have imagined I would be doing such a thing? Stay strong and and wishing you well.
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have several injuries which interfere with exercise after an auto accident. I strongly agree with getting in the water! It takes all the weight off of your bones and makes it so much easier to move. Probably the easiest thing to do in terms of exercise. It was always surprising how it reduced inflammation. I also believe walking is very beneficial, but find if I walk too much, I feel it in my back and foot. Best of luck as you work out! :)
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have 3 herniated discs and a degenerative tail bone..............and suffered for several years with them. I finally decided I'd had enough and got in the water first and then hired a trainer who was also a trained physical therapist. She worked with me for a year stretching out my hips, hamstrings and glutes as well as developing stronger core muscles. The numbness and weakness in my leg disappeared over that time and I lost some weight and the pain actually went away.

Now another year has gone by with a new trainer and I'm lifting weights and feeling wonderful. I think it's about what you're willing to put into your recovery, it took me awhile to figure that out!

Good luck!
  • Scousemaggie
    Options
    Thank you all so much for responding. I will definitely take up swimming again but also carry on with my walking. I do ache when I go for long walks but it's only sore for a day or two, which is ok. Got an air walker too, which really does work your legs, but I was a little over enthusiastic and paid for it with sore calfs for a couple of days. I guess what we all need to do is take note of what our bodies are telling us and not push too hard and potentially hurt ourselves. Wish us all good luck in our challenge to get fitter.