Have you ever been told that you don't need to lose any more weight?

Options
I've been told that a couple times that I don't need to and some others say keep up the good work. Everybody is entitled to their opinions but that doesn't mean I have to listen to it. Just because people say I don't need to lose weight anymore does not mean I'm going to stop. I'm going to keep going until were I feel comfortable with. I just want to be healthy and happy I'm not aiming to be skinny. About 3 years ago I was at 190 pounds 191 but I balloon back into the 200 when I was depressed about my close friend passed away almost two yeara ago. I stuffed myself with junk food. I was telling myself, "What the hell am I doing to myself?!" and, "Stuffing myself with junk food is not going to get my friend back and stop and get back into shape!" and so I did and I still working on it.
I'm 5'8/5'9 and currently about 204lbs.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" as well and currently at about 153lbs, and I get it all the time. I even got it when I technically was overweight.

All you can really do is thank them for the input and concern, then change the subject. I have found that in doing so, they get bored of bringing up because I don't give them the satisfaction of offering a rebuttal.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Yes, recently told that by my doctor, a nutritionist, and several family members. Medically I was told I would be fine if I maibtained. My family thinks I'm too thin and I'm going to get sick (I'm a size 4). I still have about 5 -10 lbs more to go to make myself happy though.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Family. Especially if you are turning down mom's food.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes

I get it quite a lot

Been in maintenance for 11 months (5'8 at 160lb) ..I'm certainly not skinny, I have an athletic physique but some people seem to consider me thin...my husband agrees I look more fit than thin so meh
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes, recently told that by my doctor, a nutritionist, and several family members. Medically I was told I would be fine if I maibtained. My family thinks I'm too thin and I'm going to get sick (I'm a size 4). I still have about 5 -10 lbs more to go to make myself happy though.

Doctor and nutritionist I would listen to tbh
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    People don't think I should strive for my goal weight, but I want to see if I can get there just for myself. And no one in my life has ever seen me skinny, because I've never been normal weight or lower, only overweight. So maybe they just can't get over the image of a skinny me... But I can!
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    normal weight or lower? Is your goal to be underweight or am I just reading that wrong?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Since I yo-yo dieted to maintain a healthy weight for most of my adult life, yes I've been told that numerous times. I suppose it should have been a sign that I was getting fat when I stopped hearing it.

Nobody other than my husband tells me that now.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    normal weight or lower? Is your goal to be underweight or am I just reading that wrong?

Haha no I mean I've never even reached the upper half of the normal weight range. So I want to be somewhere a bit lower than that but I'll see when I get there.
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    yes - all the time! I have lost about 160 lbs (started at 320lbs) and officially could do with losing a bit more but I am comfortable where I am so am just getting back to maintenance after gaining a bit over the holidays. I do find it quite annoying but feel it is something I am happy to put up with!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    When I am at my goal (145 at 5'7"), my family & friends tell me I'm too thin. I have more of an athletic build and at 140 I agreed that I looked sick. My sister is the same height but looks amazing at 125-130. People are built differently so goals do vary. I personally have no interest in being a stick person.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't mention weight loss, and instead talk about improving health and physical performance. Tends to cut out unwanted questions or comments. Tell people you're eating the way you are to be healthier, not to be skinnier. You can say things like, I'm cutting junk out of my diet because I feel better without it. If people press you, you can always make them super uncomfortable by asking them if they want you to feel sick. They will most likely not do it again :smile:
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »

Haha no I mean I've never even reached the upper half of the normal weight range. So I want to be somewhere a bit lower than that but I'll see when I get there.

yay! Thanks for clarifying :lol:
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm still 9kgs overweight and all I want is to be in the healthy BMI. just to be able to say I'm at a normal weight. Anyway, this lady always tells me "you should stop losing weight and thin doesn't suit you and you're tall (171cm- what?) and you carry weight well" followed by "what's the secret, give me some tips, how do you lose belly fat?" Now hmmm.... I just smile and glare (at the same time, every time) and tell the basic CICO principle. Unless a medical professional tells me otherwise I'm losing weight.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    I don't mention weight loss, and instead talk about improving health and physical performance. Tends to cut out unwanted questions or comments. Tell people you're eating the way you are to be healthier, not to be skinnier.

Great advice.... I learned fast that no one really wants to hear about your successes. I share that stuff with my diary friends on here and only mention it to people if the ask me specifically about it.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    "you're wasting away" "I can see your hip bones (lies)" "god just eat the cake" yeeah literally everyone in my work gives me this every day, mainly because I work in a restaurant that has literally nothing of anything remotely close to healthy so I have to be ridiculously careful every day i'm there (most of the time!) but my true friends/family would never comment on my own personal goals!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight rapidly, my mom would tell me I shouldn't be losing too much weight. After I explained my reasoning for my goal weight, she said I shouldn't be losing so rapidly. She was right.

When I was diagnosed with an ED, the doctor had asked me if I still thought I was fat.

When I had my physical, the GP had noticed I lost weight and said I was at a good weight for my height.

I'm 140 right now and am fine where I am. I'd just like to focus on my fitness.
  • iimitz
    iimitz Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I hear it EVERY time I mention I'm on a diet or something. Everyone says how skinny I am but the fact is I'm tall and the height is deceiving when it comes to weight being stretched. I dress appropriately and it gives the illusion that I don't have a gut going on. I'm considered overweight and I have to lose about 20lbs~ to be considered not in the "overweight" category. Now, when I say what my actual weight is, they all scoff in disbelief. The end all fact to keep in your head is if you're not happy with your weight, it's up to you to manage what it is, not others. You seem to already have that mindset.