Why do people believe so much bad science when it comes to fitness and nutrition?

Options
Its alarming how people ignore the simplest and most proven path to health - staying within your caloric limit and living a healthy, active lifestyle - and run towards complicated and ineffective methods.

I struggle with understanding why people crave pseudo-scientific BS, MLM-based "products, and fad-workouts that make them look like idiots in badly printed t-shirts.

Replies

• TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Because, internet.

People who haven't been taught healthy lifestyle and want a change start on Google. And you, as well as anyone, should know how much crap is on the internet.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    __Wolf__ wrote: »
    Its alarming how people ignore the simplest and most proven path to health - staying within your caloric limit and living a healthy, active lifestyle - and run towards complicated and ineffective methods.

I struggle with understanding why people crave pseudo-scientific BS, MLM-based "products, and fad-workouts that make them look like idiots in badly printed t-shirts.

Because advertising/marketing. And believing there just has to be a shortcut.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    They believe in there being an easier, "silver bullet", way to lose weight. Human nature, taking the easy way out. It's been engrained in this generation, do it the " easy way". There is no easy way to lose weight, only to gain weight.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    it's also a hard area to tie down what is "real" though as the actual good science can be contradicting...

Also a LOT of even "good" science is funded with agendas, and even worse in the area of food/nutrition.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    Because, internet.

People who haven't been taught healthy lifestyle and want a change start on Google. And you, as well as anyone, should know how much crap is on the internet.

This. People do not know how to research. They think the top result on Google is the best one and stop there. Or they don't research things that are presented to them because.. Well, ignorance is bliss. It's easier to believe the quick fix rather than hard work.
  • __Wolf__
    __Wolf__ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it comes from the opacity of modern science and the lack of regulation of dietary supplements. That you can make claims that something will help you lose weight and legally get away with it because you put a boilerplate disclaimer in 6 pt font in a hard to read color seems wrong.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My observation as a science educator is that most people lack scientific literacy and critical reading skills due to a large-scale lack of public interest and political will in the public education system. That's my short answer. :)
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    All of the above seems true to me.... I think as well that media in general are looking for sensational stories and headlines like "water will kill you!!" And "apples contain cyanide!!" To increase views aka ad revenue!

Also to steal an x-files quote "we want to believe!" We want to justify why we are fat and can't lose weight. My "xyz" levels are too high/low so that's why I can't lose (noms giant Cinnabon).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    To me it's a lot like religion and CICO is the God of all Gods. How you get there is up to you. Just like religion there are some plans that are more rigid than others. And there are those that believe in science. Usually, with religion you are not supposed to go around and preach your agenda, but this is essentially a "religion" board so we discuss and "battle" it out. Cause it's what interests us. That's why we are here.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Because advertising/marketing. And believing there just has to be a shortcut.

Yep people lookimg for easy way out, not willing to do work and take responsibility.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Because most people assume that there should be an easy fix. But I like to tell people it's like going for your degree. It's something you want, it's going to take awhile to get and it's gonna take a lot of work.

No advertised diet plan, no shake, no pill will do it. You actually have to work at it. And because you pay for something that says you'll lose weight if you follow "this" doesn't mean it will work either. I lost 50lbs without paying a cent for anything but running shoes and groceries.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Honestly does any of the good science make any more sense sometimes? Take the "you might be losing inches even if you're not losing weight" thing. Coherently explain that (no it's not gaining muscle because as everyone on MFP will remind you no one is EVER gaining muscle). Then there's the whole TDEE and how your TDEE can seemingly decrease and increase. Wait, so I'm trying to hit a number that's constantly moving depending on any number of things that no one can quite explain to me? Got it.

When the things that are true don't seem to make sense it's no wonder people believe pretty much anything that sounds reasonably logical.
  • __Wolf__
    __Wolf__ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Honestly does any of the good science make any more sense sometimes? Take the "you might be losing inches even if you're not losing weight" thing. Coherently explain that. Then there's the whole TDEE and how your TDEE can seemingly decrease and increase. Wait, so I'm trying to hit a number that's constantly moving depending on any number of things that no one can quite explain to me? Got it.

When the things that are true don't seem to make sense it's no wonder people believe pretty much anything that sounds reasonably logical.

Most of that isn't "science" but a simplification of research into application. TDEE and such are not supposed to be precise but directionally correct. You're not trying to hit a number, you're using it as a tool to plan and develop appropriate habits.

The second this spills over into "optimization," it loses its credibility.
  • Dayofthebread
    Dayofthebread Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think its a combination of

-People are desperate and will try anything

-The media is not always great or responsible in reporting science.

-Science is ever moving and in this area and there is still a lot to learn

-People are selective on the science they will read/believe.

-Some peoples idea of woo, isn't actually woo. I.e A ripped 6 foot male gym bunnies trying to advise a 5 foot, 60 year female with arthritis how to eat and exercise (I've seen it).
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is media - not just the internet, but television as well.

How many news stories demonize particular foods or nutrients, or insist their one trick to lose weight is all you need? People get a thousand conflicting stories (eggs are good, no they suck, no they're good, no eat low fat, nope low carb, etc. etc. etc.) and it makes nutrition seem like a confusing mess.

Governments don't help. At least the US government's nutritional guidelines are hundreds of pages long, filled with several dozen recommendations, and meeting every requirement isn't even possible.

All in all, it creates a situation where people are so confused about nutrition that they buy into any system that makes things simple enough to understand for them.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    Because, internet.

I wish.

Unfortunately, people have been falling for the easy fix (or impossible fix) in droves since the first snake oil salesman came up with the idea of smooth-talking people into buying worthless products. People want to believe. Even some of those who know better.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Honestly does any of the good science make any more sense sometimes? Take the "you might be losing inches even if you're not losing weight" thing. Coherently explain that. Then there's the whole TDEE and how your TDEE can seemingly decrease and increase. Wait, so I'm trying to hit a number that's constantly moving depending on any number of things that no one can quite explain to me? Got it.

Most of that isn't "science" but a simplification of research into application. TDEE and such are not supposed to be precise but directionally correct. You're not trying to hit a number, you're using it as a tool to plan and develop appropriate habits.

Your right. I'm not trying to hit a number. I'm trying to hit four numbers LOL. Wait, fiber too. That's 5 numbers. Crap, 6 because I need to stay under a certain number for sodium. Maybe it is 5 since I'm not trying to hit the sodium number. I'm so confused. Anyhow, as everyone will chant "it's all just math."
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Weight loss = billion dollar industry based on bad/false science
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Your right. I'm not trying to hit a number. I'm trying to hit four numbers LOL. Wait, fiber too. That's 5 numbers. Crap, 6 because I need to stay under a certain number for sodium. Maybe it is 5 since I'm not trying to hit the sodium number. I'm so confused. Anyhow, as everyone will chant "it's all just math."

I have one number I really demand that I hit (calories) and a second I try to hit (protein). Beyond that, I take a multivitamin as insurance against any micronutrient deficiency and don't care at all about the rest.

Some of it is understanding which numbers are actually relevant to your body. Sodium and potassium, for example, are only really of concern if you have hypertension - people with normal blood pressure don't really have a blood pressure response to lowering sodium or increasing potassium.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    internet, marketing, wooo science, dr oz, other similar shows.... wanting to believe theres a magic way or pill or shake instead of hard work and common sense.

theres actually a thread going on in my local (Facebook) community information page and the amount of BS and crap being tossed around as 'the best way' to lose weight is giving me a migraine.

even when i tell people how much ive lost and what i did to do that, they dont listen.

i dont even get involved.

i get my alcohol, chocolate and bread and they can go do whatever the heck they want to and be in the same place next year ;)