Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    simonnatyu wrote: »
    You are way over thinking this. And, most likely, eating more than you THINK you are. no one got to be overweight by not eating enough and being full ;)

and are you 19 or 21 or something different because I see two different ages which makes me question more....

just an observation.

I don't think I'm eating more than I think I am because I weigh all of my food and I'm 19, I put a random year when I signed up for MFP.

If you're confident that you're choosing correct database entries and properly weighing your food, then things like nuts, nut butter, oils, and avocado are great ways to add more calories to meals. Since the calories in fat tend to add up fast, it doesn't take much to help you fill in extra calories for a day. Fiber and fat goals are minimums. You don't have to worry if you go over them as long as you stay within your calorie goals.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Weighing is only part of this, you need to ensure that the entries that you are selecting from the MFP database are correct, because many member entries are not.

Under eating is often an issue with people just starting because they often cut out so many things from their diet.

If you are struggling to increase calories due to food volume try using olive oil in dressings, eat a few nuts and seeds, a nice piece of cheese or maybe reward yourself with a latte at lunchtime.

Not sure what weight loss goal you entered, although I would guess 2 lbs per week? but for what you have to lose 0.5- 1.0 lbs per week would be more reasonable
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? If so, what do you do? If you exercise, more protein than the calculator suggests is fine...as it tends to be lower than what I've read for "per pound". Do you snack at all? If not, finding something that doesn't add sugar, to snack on, might do it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You're overthinking it. MFP has a low protein % so don't worry about going over it.
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie dense foods (whole grains, nut butter, etc.)
  • crodriguez0223
    crodriguez0223 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    simonnatyu wrote: »
    I try to eat at least 1200 calories but I haven't been able to get to there. I feel full at around 1000, and when I add more food, MFP tells me I'm eating too many carbs or too much protein, fiber, etc.

My carbs are from vegetables, fruit and sweet potato so I don't really see what I could substitute any of that with (since I always go a bit over my protein too and I don't want to add more protein).

I need 150/200 more calories but I don't know what to add. I would add avocado but that adds a lot to my fiber and monounsaturated fats, bringing me over the maximum goal. Am I obsessing too much over the nutrition?

Fiber One bars. Almonds. Add avocado to your food. It good fats that you can add.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is good. Even some mixed nuts unsalted or w sea salt.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a Quest bar. They have 170 - 190 calories per serving with 20 grams of protein.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Umm...add pretty much anything you want. You are WAY overthinking all the things you track. For an easy bump, eat a couple tbsp. of peanut butter.