Protien Powder Suggestions

Options
Hey friends,
I'm heading to Target in a few and I'm interested in buying some protein powder drink mix stuff for after my lifting workouts. Does anyone have any that they like that they've purchased at Target? I'm want something yummy thats vanilla or chocolatey :)
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• earthtorachel
    Options
    jay robb has no sugar!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I second the Jay Robb suggestion... it's sweetened with Stevia and is yummy. I look forward to drinking it.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if they carry it at Target, but I use Jay Robb vanilla whey. I haven't tried chocolate, but vanilla mixes pretty easily with other flavors & I've used it to make protein bars, smoothies, etc. It's a little pricey compared to some other brands, but you are what you eat.

Why I use it:
    * Sourced from grass fed cows not treated with rBGH (Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone)
    * 25 grams of protein per serving!
    * No fat, No cholesterol
    * No sugar, No aspartame
    * No artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners
    * No casein, msg or gluten
    * Made with stevia
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I second the Jay Robb suggestion...it is also "filler free" which alot of them are not. I like the vanilla flavor so I can add whatever I like to it...banana, strawberries, blackberries, PB2 and cocoa powder, etc. It makes a good base and I know I'm not getting a bunch of artificial garbage.
  • Jenn81
    Jenn81 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use the jillian michaels chocolate whey powder, i got it at walmart! Its so yummy and i add it to smoothies all the time
  • pixieval
    pixieval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Total Lean™ Lean Protein Weight Control
    The regular price is 30, but I buy it when it is on sale on their website for 12-14$, I buy a few at a time so I can make it until they go on sale again, their shipping is pretty cheap too.
    It was recommended to me by my best friend, who is boxer/mma fighter, and she used it when she was trying to get into a smaller weight class.
    She and a few others told me the berry flavor is a bit strong, but I love berries, and mix it with light vanilla soy milk, and I like the flavor.
    I use it for breakfast, and then if I'm hungry before a workout I drink it then.
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4018215

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size 1 scoop
    Servings Per Container 20
    Amount Per Serving % DV
    Calories 50.00
    Calories from Fat 5.00
    Total Fat 0.50 g 1%
    Cholesterol 20.00 mg 7%
    Sodium 60.00 mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrate 2.00 g 1%
    Protein 10.00 g 0%
    Metabolism Booster Blend 4.40 g 0%
    Betaine Anhydrous **
    Micronized L-Arginine **
    Carnitine (as Carnitine Tartrate) **
    EGCG (from Green Tea extrac [Camellia sinesnsis] [leaves][standardized to 40% EGCG]) **
    Caffeine Anhydrous **
    Trans-resveratrol (Polygonium cuspidalum) (root) **
    13N-Dipropyl-7-Proparhylxanthine **
    Guggul Extract (Commiphora mikul) (gum resin) [std. to guggulsterones E&Z 95%] **
    35cAMP (35Cycic Adenosine Monophosphate) **
    5' -UMP (Uridine-5' -Monophosphate) **
    Toothed Clubmoss (Huperzia serrata)(leaves)[std. to 1% huperzine A] **
    Supra-Amine Apple geranium (Pelargonium odorantissiumum (leaves) [standardized to 13-Dimethypentylamine] **
    ** Daily Value (DV) not established
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    http://myvega.com/products/vega-sport-performance-protein/features-benefits

This is the best protein powder. If you buy some from Target anyway, I recommend organic rice or hemp protein.
    Avoid the dairy derived protein. Cows do not need to be injected with growth hormone for their milk to contain
    growth hormone. They naturally have growth hormone in their milk to grow their children with just like humans
    do. Only, since cows are several times larger than humans and grow much faster, there are several times
    the growth hormones contained in cows milk. Cows milk also contains caesin, a type or protein which our
    bodies naturally attack and cannot process. Caesin is a known carcinogen.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options

This is the best protein powder. If you buy some from Target anyway, I recommend organic rice or hemp protein.
    Avoid the dairy derived protein. Cows do not need to be injected with growth hormone for their milk to contain
    growth hormone. They naturally have growth hormone in their milk to grow their children with just like humans
    do. Only, since cows are several times larger than humans and grow much faster, there are several times
    the growth hormones contained in cows milk. Cows milk also contains caesin, a type or protein which our

Many protein powders are derived from hormone-free cows, like Jay Robb or Bionic Edge brands.
    Casein can be harmful if you're allergic to it, or it can aggravate symptoms of autism in some studies. Can you provide studies that state casein is a "known carcinogen"?
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Another Jay Robb fan here. Have been wanting to get ahold of a larger container of the Pina Colada to try it but haven't been able to find it.
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    Well, my target didn't have a huge selection :( No Jay Robb or anything that wasn't whey. I'll have to dry a different store. I ended up getting Jillian's vanilla one just because it was the smallest and the cheapest so if I don't like it I won't be stuck with it forever. Thanks for your advice everybody! I'll definitely try out the Jay Robb when I get a chance
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb is exspensive and I started using the Jillian Michaels Whey protein Vanilla flavor and its
    very popular cause they can't keep it on the shelf. It has a really good taste too. I don't use it everyday though.
    Walmart carries this brand and its only $9.99
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I just started using Nu-tek Pro 5, it only has 35 mg sodium per scoop. I also like Jay Robb protein, filler free.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I drink biochem vegan protein powder. It is soy and gluten free. They have a vanilla and chocolate version

Contains isolated, highly digestible pea protein, organic hemp protein, and antioxidant rich cranberry protein.
    Pea protein is rich in amino acids such as L-Lysine, energy supporting BCAAs (Branched Chain Amino Acids), L-Arginine, and L-Glutamine.
    Hemp is a valuable source of amino acid-rich complete protein.*
    No animal derived material (completely vegan).
    No added sodium.
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is really good for supplements and stuff. I use Optimum Nutrition Soy protein powder. It is $16.99 for 2 lbs. I have seen protein powder cost way more in stores.
  • trkinsley
    trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Target generally carries muscle milk, the choco is good. Also the pure protein RTD shakes are there, also good, a little artificial on the vanilla but still very drinkable.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options

High quality whey protein powders such as Jay Robb and Biochem do not contain casein.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options

Oh lawdy, there is always one in the crowd.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is really good for supplements and stuff. I use Optimum Nutrition Soy protein powder. It is $16.99 for 2 lbs. I have seen protein powder cost way more in stores.

^^^^^

I was about to suggest that people shop online for protein. It's usually half the price of stores. Bodybuilding.com has gotten more expensive over the last couple years but it's still light years ahead of GNC and most other stores.